501/508/510 Differences

bpasker8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
I read somewhere in here a post eluding to a difference between the 501/508/510 DVRs besides the hard drive space... something to the effect of name based programming... can someone explain the differences between them for me please? Looking to pick one up, possibly the $99 deal, but if the $99 option is gonna suck I may be looking to get a higher model... Tried the dish site but all it has is basic info on each model...

thx in advance

The three units are the same except for hard drives, and DVOD fees. They use the same version of software. The $99.00 upgrade promotion ended with February, no new or continuation of the promotion has been announced.

I think there has just been some prognostication that the No VOD fee receivers can't last forever. Tied in with the comment made by Echostar that they are working on Name Based recording has had some thinking that such a feature may be the carrot to bring all DVR users into a montly fee.

But since the named based recording is vapor ware... who knows.

501 = 40GB HD = 30 Hours of Video - NO VOD/DVR FEE
508 = 80GB HD = 60 Hours of Video - NO VOD/DVR FEE
510 = 120GB HD = 100 Hours of Video - $5 VOD/DVR FEE

If they start charging a VOD/DVR fee on something they advertised as grandfathered not having to pay the fee, this is going to really tick off a lot of subscribers. The trust in Dish will be gone for those subscribers if they even remain a subscriber. It would be more about the principal of the matter for many.

If E* plans on continuing with their ill conceived DVR 'penalty' fees, they will probably just wait out the time it takes for the 501/508 HDDs to fail and then when folks upgrade to newer (after all the refurbed older replacements run out) DVRs they, too, will have to pay. [sigh]

I am curious why the 522 receiver's 120 GB hard drive nets 100 hours yet the 721 receiver's 120 GB hard drive only nets 90 hours.

Bad spec maybe?

What is the difference between the 5xx and 7xx model?

Bill

The 522 and 721 or the 501/508/510 and 721? The 522 is different from the 501/508/510. There are three types of interfaces.

The 501/508/510 have the same interface as the OpenTv recievers do (3900/301/311) and those have one tuner.

The 522 (which shares the same interface as the NONDVR 322) has two tuners with two tv outputs, having a brand new interface. It has a 120GB hard drive capable of 100 hours of video.

The 721 has a Linux interface which is similar to what the 7100/7200 DishPlayer has. It has two tuners but only one tv output. It has PIP functionality. Personally this is my favorite interface.

boba said:
The three units are the same except for hard drives, and DVOD fees. They use the same version of software. The $99.00 upgrade promotion ended with February, no new or continuation of the promotion has been announced.
Shh....don't tell dish. While maybe it hasn't been officially announced, there is this thread that says otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)