501 Recording problems

vthartford

Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
I have a 501 that is not playing back recording well. The sound will go out for a few seconds at a time and now the video will stop for a few seconds and pick back up but I will miss what happened when it was frozen. It now does it on all our recordings. Any ideas?

Thanks,Bill

I have similar problems with ours as well. Occasionally I get it on live tv as well. No trees with a clear line of sight. It does some other really goofy things as well but I can't remember what I did to make some of them happen. Has to do with dropping a timer and the graphics on the DVR screen going loopy. I just chalk it up to a funky software bug and hope it gets fixed in the next update whenever that will be.

Have you tried rebooting the box? As posted in thousands of other threads, "Soft" reboot is to hold in the power button for a 10 count. "Hard" reboot is to pull the power plug for 30 seconds.

Not to sound rude or anything but I don't read thousand of threads here. I've rebooted several times. It didn't seem to correct the problem. Today it's started to not activate the "timer" when a live program is paused. Instead of saying 00:01 and increasing in time it only shows 00:00 instead. After a soft reboot it did correct that problem. We'll see if it's permenant or not. Like I mentione din an earlier post it's most likely softeware. All them lines of code somethings bound to get funky from time to time.

vthartford said:
I have a 501 that is not playing back recording well. The sound will go out for a few seconds at a time and now the video will stop for a few seconds and pick back up but I will miss what happened when it was frozen. It now does it on all our recordings. Any ideas?

Thanks,Bill

On my 721 the sound will go out for short periods on some recorded programs. Sometimes, if I want to know what was said in those periods, I can turn on the closed captioning on my tv and see what was said.

Not to sound rude or anything, but it's considered polite and respectful to do your homework before posting.

I did look around here and this thread was the only one I found applicable at the time to my situation. You'll have to excuse me if I don't have all day to sit on my ass and look through your entire forum history and see if something was mentioned in passing. This thread was the most recent and similar to what I did see.

1st of all you can do a search from the banner on the top of the site. But on the first topic If rebooting doesn't work think about ventilation, I had mine in an area on my entertainment center where there was a component above and below. I moved it to a new place and it's like a new dvr... Also try hard reboot by pulling smart card. If you don't turn the dvr off from time to time you should reboot so you can capture new software updates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts