508 troubles

yooper.mi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 24, 2004
U.P. of MI
I have three 508S,all working yesterday, this morning the one in the living room is acting up. The tv screen turns green With purple spots and black hash lines. It then reboots acquires signal 015 and everything is ok for 5-10 minutes then everything starts all over again. Called E* they are sending a different receiver.
I should be happy right? I go to the rec room turn on receiver and tv, the same thing is happening on this one, mind you it is fed by a different dish, TWO separate systems same problem. It was easier to hook up a extra dish 500 then running a long cable run to the other end of the house.
I did the soft and hard reboot and pulled card.
So I have two acting up and the third one is working all right. Has anyone had problems lately? The software is p360 on all.

My 508, which has always operated flawlessly, has started to get flakey after p360 was installed.

In the past couple of days it has missed three dvr timers. It misses one then completes the next one for the day just fine. There doesn't seem to be any repeatable pattern to the failures. This has me seriously aggrivated.:mad:

All this so they could put VOD (which I don't want and would never use), on my receiver. I wish there was some way to retreat to the previous software patch or to disable the VOD portion.

I had 3 508 receivers replaced in July when lightening knock out all three modems. I got three remanufactured receivers to replace my units. These were rebuilt in Mexico and two failed on Wedsday. One of three working right now. My old ones were rock solid and I had second thoughts about replacing them but I hate the audit police so I relaced them for the modems.
I should get one tomorrow and the second one Tuesday.

Both of my 510's locked up last night. One was left on and the screen was frozen. The other was off and when turned on it was just a black screen.

I removed the cards and that didn't fix it. I had to hold in the power button for 10 seconds to reset them. After that both were fine.

Csr was notified about 508 s constantly rebooting. He said small % of 508 have devolped this problem lately.

Seems that with the HD drive running all the time, that a few units are starting to show up with heat problems, I've read elsewhere where someone added a larger fan and his problems have stopped. Scambled video and such.

As for the missing timers, It just may be a coincidence, but non of the lockups have happened when I tell it to start a min early, and all my lockups have happened when it starts at exactly on the hour.

With help from others, Maybe we can confirm this.

Years ago, I read about simple mods to the 501/8/10 famiily, to run the fan more.
It's either a jumper or a resistor change, depending on your intended result.

If I recall, the fan normally only spins up at power-on and hardly ever again.
Seems like it'd have been a simple change for Echostar to make to the units somewhere in the manufacturing life, but they chose not to.
All three units are essentially identical, save drive size.
Perhaps, it would have been interpreted as admission of bad design...?

Of course, fans wear out too, so be prepared to replace it if necessary (cheap by comparison)

just need to supply a ground to the ground wire I imagine, Most electronics use ground switching.

Prolly will void warranties

The last replacement receiver came in for the second 508 that failed on 9/27(software issue). After hooking it up doing a check switch and getting it authorized ,everything good, I unplug it put into cabinet. Turn it on block PPV turn off. 20 minutes later I turn it, I get acquiring signal steps 1-5 with it stopping on step 5 then rebooting again.Worked with 4 different csr's one for 65 minutes and then lost the connection.I was hoping to get a call back, but I guess they don't call.
After 4 hours of my time, I have another replacement coming to replace the replacement which was a replacement. I'm beginning to think they are trying to get me to upgrade, which I won't. I plan on keeping the no fee 508 until the very end.

Last edited:
I have gone thru 3 replacement 508's in the past four weeks. So finally I called Dish to get a tech to come out because I kept telling them there is something wrong with the super dish or switch. Most likely the LNB because the 508 is able to detect this issue then stop showing channels. Where as the 6000 and 211 keeping operating fine.

So with luck I got a service call for this Friday glad I have the dish home protection as the service calls are only 29.99, and the Dish tech women was pretty nice on the phone when I explained everything to her. I'll post again on Friday after the tech is done.

desiguy2447 said:
I have gone thru 3 replacement 508's in the past four weeks. So finally I called Dish to get a tech to come out because I kept telling them there is something wrong with the super dish or switch. Most likely the LNB because the 508 is able to detect this issue then stop showing channels. Where as the 6000 and 211 keeping operating fine.

So with luck I got a service call for this Friday glad I have the dish home protection as the service calls are only 29.99, and the Dish tech women was pretty nice on the phone when I explained everything to her. I'll post again on Friday after the tech is done.

I have tried on two different system and the problem follows the receiver

I ended up swapping my 6000u and 508 for testing and the 508 channel problem kept happening regards of where I connect the receiver. where as when I placed my 6000u in the 508 located I had no missing channels or errors. I couldn't swap the 211 because of the power insert for the DP44. I'm just going to have to wait till Friday see what the tech says..

So Dish Network came out to my house, and took down the super dish and replaced it with a Dish 500. The LNB on the my Super Dish had gone bad hence the 508 issues.

Everything is work now, but the tech didn't have DP adpater for my 6000U receiver so the tech will return on Saturday with the adapter so my 6000U will work again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts