510 future........................?

Parlyle

Pub Member/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 16, 2004
West Central Wisconsin
What will happen to us that have a 510 PVR when they go to strictly Mpeg-4? Is there going to be a replacement for those? I have looked for an answer, but all I come up with is the 211 and 622 as Mpeg-4 recievers. I would like to still have the ability to record on a non-HD television. Any comments will be appreciated.
Lyle

Basically, the 510 receiver is being replaced right now with the 625 receiver. Even if a customer wants a single tuner DVR receiver, they are getting the 625 receiver (a dual tuner DVR) and hooking it up to just one TV. I don't know what the plans are in the future for a single tuner DVR receiver.

Parlyle said:
... I would like to still have the ability to record on a non-HD television. ...

Lyle,

You do recognize that you can playback HD recording to a non-HD television?

Someday, not just your 510, but my 508 and his 942 and everthing else will need to be replaced. I don't think anyone here can accurately lay out a timetable and identify the terms for that replacement program. :)

Presumably it will be spread out over a period of years and one might speculate that as channels are converted to MPEG4 that they might be also transmitted in MPEG 2 for a specified period and then the MPEG2 feed would go dark. This would provide you and I an incentive to upgrade. While not actually the same, a near example is the case right now with regard to HD Locals - don't need to upgrade to get locals.... unless you want HD.

Right now anyone who wants to lease a 211 or 622 must also subscribe to the HD package. For those who want to purchase the box they must pay a $6.00 monthy fee to activate the ATSC tuner if they don't want to subscribe to HD programming. This policy will have to change if they want to roll out MPEG-4 receivers to the masses. Either that or they will have to include HD channels as a part of the basic AT packs. If people see that there are channels that they could be watching if they had the newer model receiver that could really drive sales (or leases), and maybe encourage people to upgrade service levels.

Parlyle said:
What will happen to us that have a 510 PVR when they go to strictly Mpeg-4? Is there going to be a replacement for those? I have looked for an answer, but all I come up with is the 211 and 622 as Mpeg-4 recievers. I would like to still have the ability to record on a non-HD television. Any comments will be appreciated.
Lyle

Parlyle - I really like your garden! I've gotta get my wife to help me plant a couple of those LOL! :D

dlsnyder said:
Parlyle - I really like your garden! I've gotta get my wife to help me plant a couple of those LOL! :D

Thanks. We hope to get something planted this spring. My wife said that the 2nd one should be smaller than the first. I don't know exactly why, but, we made the 2nd planter (61.5º) 6 inches smaller in diameter and she was happy. (Go figure). Thats the one in the foreground in my avatar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)