510 is hot even when I cut it off

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jeff003

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 28, 2004
Is this normal?It's been off for several hours and it is still hot.I just got this receiver yesterday.I have it setting on top of my record player but it isn't on so that shouldn't be causing the heat build up.My 301 is cool when it's off.

My 3 dvrs are always hot.

The Dish DVRs don't really turn off. As long as they are plugged in they are runing . When the screen is black they check for updates and stuff like that.

the dvr has to stay running, so that if you have a program that you have set to record, but the box is off, it can turn itself on and start recording...
and yes, the dvr's are always hotter than the standard receiver... the biggest cause is the hard drive

Thanks now I'm not worried.I really like this receiver.It's the first dvr I've ever had and it has all of the bells and whistles of the 301 I have come to love plus the new dvr feature.

hot 510

Let's be clear.

Hot is normal for the 5xx PVRs.
Hot is not good for any receivers.

Do not constrict or reduce airflow to your 510.
If you put it into a confined cabinet, add a little fan to stir up the air.
Be careful of putting anything on top of the PVR, or placing it too close to other equipment on either side.

There have been modifications published to:
1) run the internal fan all the time at full speed...
2) run the fan at reduced speed...

I have several 508's and wouldn't go without a PVR ever again! ;)
The week-long guide makes it well worth having (over the venerable 301), too!

eh, I recognize heat is bad for components but I don't believe people should get all paranoid about it... Here is my stack of equipment from top to bottom, all setting directly on each other... have been this way for about 2 years, never had a problem. Dvd Player, Series 2 TIVO, Dish 510, Dish 625, Sony Surround Sound Receiver...

notice, 3 dvrs, all stacked on top of each other, all constantly running... never have had a problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts