510 recording problem (BUG???)

milli

Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
It has happened to my 510 a couple of times now. After a timer set recording, it stops recording(red light goes away) but it would think it's still in recording mode and would not let me change to other channels or turn it off. It keeps on displaying the message "you are in recording mode do you want to go live?" Saying yes to this message does not change its behavior. At this point sometimes it would just hang(with black/frozen picture) and would not respond to any keys. The only way out is to do a reboot by pressing the power button in the front panel.

However it does not happen always though and I do quite a lot of recordings. I'm yet to find the exact condition to reproduce this problem. Anybody here has this problem or any thoughts?

I have seen this same thing happen on my 501. Like you, I am not sure exactly what sequence of events causes this to happen, but I have seen it at least three times.

When this happens, I always reset my 501 (hold in the power button on the front panel). I am not sure if resetting helps or not, but when I reset it, the problem does not occur again for a long time.

This sounds like a problem I ran into and it happend after one had stopped a program that was currently being recorded and then tried to record another in the time slot.

If you want to see try this.

1) Set a program timer up using the channel guide.
2) Let it start recording and then press stop.
3) Switch to another program and press record.
4) Does it happen? (I think this is the sequene)

Tony S said:
I have seen this same thing happen on my 501. Like you, I am not sure exactly what sequence of events causes this to happen, but I have seen it at least three times.

When this happens, I always reset my 501 (hold in the power button on the front panel). I am not sure if resetting helps or not, but when I reset it, the problem does not occur again for a long time.

Same thing with my 510 also...After the reset it does not happen again for a long time

WeeJavaDude,

I will try to follow your steps and see if I can reproduce it tonight.

I remember a condition once it happened though. I set a timer recording of a basketball game. I was watching the game at the same time it was recording but when game went past the scheduled time it said recording stopped and completely frozen. I had to do a reset.

So far all of my recordings have gone very well. I have tried doing recordings from the guide, highlighting a program and pressing the record button, even set up a couple of manual time recordings and all of them have recorded on the hard drive with no problems.

The problem I ran into, remembering from my memory yikes, is that the key here is you stop recording a program that you had set up as an event. you then try and record another program by pressing record right after you stop the current program from taping. My guess is that the PVR thinks it is still recording the event and gets confused.

Might require a multiweak program event to have this happen.

Just a thought here.

510 recording problem

I started a new thread with the below message before I saw this thread:

When watching a show, I hit the pause button planning to keep watching after commercials were finished. Instead I decided to watch something I had already recorded, so I pressed DVR, chose something and started watching. After watching for about fifteen minutes, I stopped that show and went back to what I had been originally viewing. Problem was it didn't go back to where I first paused the show. It went to real time but still in pause mode. Worst part was that I could not cancel out of pause mode. Tried to go live, but it wouldn't do it. Tried to stop recording, but no luck. Tried to turn off power, but no response. Finally I removed the smart card and reinserted it, which got it to work.
This happened once to my wife as well. I see that I probably need to press record instead of pause if I'm going to watch a previously recorded show, but it seems that the 510 should not hang the way it did. Sounds like a software glitch to me. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Stan

Stan - Instead of hitting pause, before switching to viewing a PVR event, hit record. The 510 is capable of recording from the tuner, while you watch a PVR event. That way you know it'll be available for viewing later. (Probably available, anyway. After all, it is a Dish product.)

milli said:
It has happened to my 510 a couple of times now. After a timer set recording, it stops recording(red light goes away) but it would think it's still in recording mode and would not let me change to other channels or turn it off. It keeps on displaying the message "you are in recording mode do you want to go live?" Saying yes to this message does not change its behavior. At this point sometimes it would just hang(with black/frozen picture) and would not respond to any keys. The only way out is to do a reboot by pressing the power button in the front panel.

However it does not happen always though and I do quite a lot of recordings. I'm yet to find the exact condition to reproduce this problem. Anybody here has this problem or any thoughts?

It used to happen quite often when I first had my 510. It's been months since I had that problem. Can you check to see if you have the latest software?

milli said:
Same thing with my 510 also...After the reset it does not happen again for a long time

WeeJavaDude,

I will try to follow your steps and see if I can reproduce it tonight.

I remember a condition once it happened though. I set a timer recording of a basketball game. I was watching the game at the same time it was recording but when game went past the scheduled time it said recording stopped and completely frozen. I had to do a reset.

It happened to me a couple of times under the same condition. But I couldn't reproduce it though

More on 510 won't stop recording

I did determine that the way to (probably) avoid the problem I described is to press record instead of pause. I pressed pause thinking I would keep watching that program, but I changed my mind.

Assuming this error is reproducible, it still seems like a software fix is needed.

I'll see if I can reproduce the error.

Thanks,
Stan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)