510s malfunction during recording

becketma

Original poster
Aug 12, 2005
Anyone found a way to tame the 510s?

These units have to be manually turned off between 2 and 4AM local time to download “reset” data from a satelite.

If this isn’t done, recordings have long gaps, aren’t executed (even though the record red lite stays on), recorded events disappear, playback freezes, processing commands from the remote sloooooows way down, error messages while watching a broadcast, etc.

Rebooting temporarily restores functioning.

510s cannot be programmed to shut off after recording.
510s cannot down load reset data while recording.
510s cannot download reset data while the unit is on.
Rebooting does not download reset data.
No way to force a reset data down load.
No way to bypass the need for multiple, weekly data resets.

Dish suggests buying a dual receiver to solve the “software” problem. They claim the reset data is on a second satelite, and the dual receiver units can down load the reset data while the unit is on, even if recording. Of course, the monthly fee increases for a dual receiver (only $120 additional per year).

They won’t allow me to trade the malfunctioning 510 towards a unit without these problems.
Of course, I can’t send a dual receiver back if it suffers from similar problems; no refund on the install charges for running a second feed line from the dish antenna/amplifier.

My fourth 510 arrived yesterday. 1st one had this problem, but died after less than a year’s usage; replacement 1 same problems, replacement 2 same problems, replacement 3 still in it’s box.

I’m tired of fighting with these units to get them to function reliably. A $600 outlay coupled with an addition $120 annual fee doesn't seem like a resonable solution to the 510 software problem.

Thanks, Bob

Maybe if you turned off the box when you aren't using it...

I can't help you with your 510 problem, except to say that I have a 501 (identical, except smaller hard drive and no monthly fee), I turn it off when I'm not using it, and I've had it for over three years. I've had to reset it because it was acting up 10 times over three years.

Also, a dual tuner DVR like a 522 or 625 does not cost an extra $10 per month. If you keep a phone line connected, I'm not sure it costs any more, or the very most $5 per month. Am I wrong, anyone?

After my 510 finally started acting up this year (after 2.5 years), I've come to the conclusion that HEAT is the integral problem. When it won't work right, i turn a house fan on and aim it at the receiver...5 minutes later, turn it back on and it's fine.

I just noticed that when it won't work correctly, the hdd is WAY too hot and came to this conclusion. Weird thing is that the 510 is on a wire shelf, nothing was blocking the ducts, and i've even got the lid off it now, but it still gets too hot here in ohio humidity...

That's why reseting your 510 works i'll bet, because when it's off it cools down back to reasonable level. 510's don't seem to have the temperature gauges that the newer boxes have, which sucks because I can't confirm if this is the problem. The mere fact that newer hdd boxes have temp. readouts in the software tells me dish knows heat is the #1 problem of these units, but won't adequately fix the problem for some reason...

to fix the heat problem would cause another problem=noise. Already many people complain about "how noisy" their dvr is.

I have no problem with the noise. I have fans that run 24/7 to cool my 942 and my 510. I am just pointing out than most people don't like the noise.

I've had a 510 for about 17 months and up until about two weeks ago (when I got a Harmony universal remote) neither my 510 or 6000 was ever turned off, unless we left on vacation or something. I've never had any reset problems or guide data problems or any of the issues mentioned in any of the other posts. It never mentioned that it needed to be off between 2am and 4 am in order to get some new guide data. I functioned with some really old guide data. Now what happened to that episode of Rhoda?...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)