SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
522/625 Software update spooled!

Question I emailed to tech@echostar.com:

Hi

I have watched the TechChat last night, and they were talking about the 625 getting upgrades about clearing DVR625 history events and enabling the USB port for use with pocket dish and digital cameras etc. And the hosts said that the software upgrade for that "Rolled Out" and for example the Clear History feature would be already there. What does that mean? My 625 still has L255 on it and I cannot find the Clear History option there. But they said it is already there.

Thanks for all the advice in advance

Answer I got today:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail. I apologize that it took so long to respond. We've received an unexpected amount of e-mails this month. We would normally respond within 24-48 hours.

We are still on a partial release of the software that has that new feature. I do sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Thanks,

Heather
Technical E-mail Support
Dish Network

I thought this would be interesting for a bunch of people here. Seems like the update will be available for all the 522/625 receivers soon. :)

We are still showing L255, but the lag in response to remote commands has changed from the protracted delay to the former almost instant. I suspect that updates have been sent, but the serial number has not been changed.

If you push the "menu" button twice on the 522, it will bring up the screen that will show you which software version is currently running. It will probably show "L255" as the current version. Every update seems to produce some obvious changes in the operating characteristics. For a while, it took an interval of as much as 5-10 seconds to change channels, and often a long wait after pushing "select" to wake up the receiver. Now, it is back to instantly responding, even though the software designation has not changed. Hope this makes it somewhat clearer to understand. When you work with this stuff, we sometimes fail to remember that those who don't find our "shortahnd" somewhat cryptic. Happy Holidays!

I wonder if someone will come up with some type of software to where you can hookup that usb port to your computer and transfer the programs that way. Our laptops could be used as a portable DVR as well.

It would be already sufficient to just make that USB port to work wth external storage devices, such external USB HD. You could store all your recordings AND then hook it up to your PC also. Also the USB port on the receivers are the same as on the PC's, don't know exactly what they're called..something like USB-A and there's USB-B. Anyways they both would require the same ends on the USB cable, which doesn't exist. So you would HAVE to go through an external USB HD first, in order to get the stuff onto the PC.

Stargazer said:
I wonder if someone will come up with some type of software to where you can hookup that usb port to your computer and transfer the programs that way. Our laptops could be used as a portable DVR as well.

Which is exactly why it will never happen. How would E* profit from that?

That's what I meant. In order to get content off your receiver, you will have to go through a storage first, and then hook the storage to your PC.

jp7794 said:
Which is exactly why it will never happen. How would E* profit from that?

I don't think the problem here is Echostar. The content providers (including the MPAA) are fighting such things tooth and nail. They don't want you to easily take content. If they could find a way to do it, they would charge extra for playing your DVDs multiple times!

The RIAA already sees ripping your own CDs to MP3 files as a "threat"!

Brad

Then why don't they just go ahead and outlaw any kind of storage media?? Just take it all away, Then also shut down any radio stations, someone could tape the stuff on their radio at home.Shut down the TV broadcast stations, as there's people using VCR's and DVR's recording stuff. Shut down the factories that produce devices and media for recordings. Only Record Labels and Hollywood is allowed to have recordable media. Shut down the factories that produce Video Cameras and the Cinemas, so people can't bootleg stuff. Shut down factories that produce stereo systems, because the neighbor accidentally could listen to your music and record it with a microphone. Outlaw TV's, as you could have a friend or relative watching a show with you, and they didn't buy their own....what's left???
Just go ahead and shoot mankind so they can't do all this stuff...but who's gonna buy it then?
This RIAA is so pathetic, it's not even funny anymore. This is almost like in Communism anymore..

ralfyguy said:
Then why don't they just go ahead and outlaw any kind of storage media?? Just take it all away, Then also shut down any radio stations, someone could tape the stuff on their radio at home.Shut down the TV broadcast stations, as there's people using VCR's and DVR's recording stuff. Shut down the factories that produce devices and media for recordings. Only Record Labels and Hollywood is allowed to have recordable media. Shut down the factories that produce Video Cameras and the Cinemas, so people can't bootleg stuff. Shut down factories that produce stereo systems, because the neighbor accidentally could listen to your music and record it with a microphone. Outlaw TV's, as you could have a friend or relative watching a show with you, and they didn't buy their own....what's left???
Just go ahead and shoot mankind so they can't do all this stuff...but who's gonna buy it then?
This RIAA is so pathetic, it's not even funny anymore. This is almost like in Communism anymore..

Sorry, I got carried away there, because it has nothing to with the topic anymore...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)