522 and Alaska problems

jimlball

Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
My problem is with a new 522DVR.I live in Alaska, and it is very difficult to get the 110 sat. from where I live but with a lot of luck and two large dishes, a six and a four footer, I now can get 119 at 120%and 110 at 80% but I can only receive one of the110 sats not both. These two dishes have duel lnb's connected with a SW44 switch, I have a 510 dvr and a 301 that work with my two sat. setup. They have worked perfectly ever since I became a member back in 9-03 when I moved to Alaska. I bought a 522dvr wanting to replace the 301 and adding another room to satellite plus the PNP and duel recording features. Now here’s the catch, I have deducted that because I only get half of the 110 satellites the switch check will not recognize that as an acceptable reception. The 510 does the 301 does but not the 522. Two weeks ago I was on the line with tech support for almost two hours and they finally told me that the secondary port was bad and to send it back, I did, and now the replacement does the same thing, it wasn’t the port at all. Is there any way to force it to recognize the one110 sat? Tech support told me that the SW44 and the two sat dish set should work even if it is a legacy setup, but. Do you have any suggestions?

jimlball said:
My problem is with a new 522DVR.I live in Alaska, and it is very difficult to get the 110 sat....

Although I don't live in Alaska I am familiar with the problem you are having due to a vacation house that I have on the 'edge' of the Official Dish Network Coverage Area. You don't specify which of the 110 satellites you are not being able to tune into; but if your problem is similar to mine it is provably the 110 satellite that has transponders 22 onwards.....including transponder 29 which is the one that has the 9 Day Program Guide. Am I right?

Both 110 satellites are supposed to have the same power level per transponder, so my guess is that the reason why we can only receive one of the two satellites well is that the footprint of the 110 satelite with the transponder 22 onwards is different from the footprint of the 110 satellite that tranponders under 22.

What I have noticed from my personal experience is that satellite 110 that has transponders 21 and under can ALWAYS be received, but satellite 110 with tranponders 22 and upwards can ONLY be seen after sunset and until about 10am on this part of the coverage area. You may want to try and check out if that holds for you too.

If you are unable to get tranponders 22 and upwards even at night, then I suggest that you adjust your antenna just a bit. At the very beginning I was ONLY receiving satellite 110 with tranponders up to 21; but after a lot of trial and error I realized that if I moved the antenna a bit I could get the other tranponders ...but ONLY at night.

For me getting tranponsders 22 onwards only at night is not a big deal, because the only thing I really use from satelite 110 tranponders 22 onwards is the EEPG which my receiver fetches at 3am anyway.

Good luck. I hope my suggestion helps.

Regards,

Paul

I have the opposite and receive 3,22,23,24-29, and 31. I'm next to some mountains and new I would have some problems. The downloading of the 9 day log isn't Ok on the older 510. And the 522 downloaded the latest software today. Thanks.

Black bars on top and bottom

942 Lease

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)