522 and exterior antenna connection

road_rascal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
South Metro, Twin Cities MN
I read this post http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/137214-how-feed-external-antenna-tv2.html and I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I have a 522 connected to 2 TV's. The 522 and TV1 are right next to each other in the living room. I want an over the air digital signal fed to the (new HDTV) in the living room which is TV2. I can easily run a new RG6 cable (connected to an outdoor antenna) to TV2. I want to combine the 522 TV2 out cable and the antenna cable to the single coax input on the new HDTV (TV2). With some drilling and fishing lines through walls I could perhaps run the antenna cable to the 522 receiver (want to avoid that if possible, and TV1 is an old non-HD TV). What's the best way to approach this? Thanks (yeah- this stuff confuses me...)

Check your tv, you may very well have two coax connections on the rear of the tv; one for analog (for the SD TV2 output of the 522) and another for a digital input (this would be for your off-air antenna). I don't believe that you will be able to combine two UHF signals onto a single cable with the antenna attached, you could try it though by using a splitter/combiner (a regular splitter). I hesitate however since you could be broadcasting your TV2 signal through your outside antenna. You may end up running two lines to your HDTV in order for it to work. The antenna in on the receiver is only for the TV1 output.

Nah, all you need is a two dollar splitter!!

tv2 in, and ant in to splitter, out to TV2
use ch 22 for tv2 output (best ch to use in most cases)

then simply change channels to ota digital. (10-1, 10-2, 7-1, 7-2, etc)

fred

You'll need two splitters. The thread you referenced has the right info. First splitter takes the diplexer's ANT feed. One of the splitter's outs goes to 522, the other to the second splitter in reverse. TV2 out from 522 goes to second, reversed splitter, resulting in one cable to TV2.

Assuming you have your antenna cable run and laying near the 522:

1. Connect Ant cable to single side of Splitter 1.
2. Connect short cables to each of the two/double side, Splitter 1 connections.
3. Take one of the short cables connected to Splitter 1 to receiver's OTA antenna IN.
4. Take second short cable on Splitter 1 and connect to one of two connections on the DOUBLE side of Splitter 2.
5. Run another short cable from Home Distribution (TV2) on receiver to the remaining one of two sided Splitter 2 connections.
6. Connect cable going to TV2 to the single side of Splitter 2.

I tried the 2 splitter method, and I don't get the OTA digital signal. I tried Fredinva's suggestion, and while I get a good OTA signal, the picture from the DVR is really bad. I did adjust the TV2 modulation (both analog and cable) but it's not good. I'm stuck now...

I tried the 2 splitter method, and I don't get the OTA digital signal. I tried Fredinva's suggestion, and while I get a good OTA signal, the picture from the DVR is really bad. I did adjust the TV2 modulation (both analog and cable) but it's not good. I'm stuck now...

Try putting the receiver output on another channel, it may have interference.

You NEED an AB switch. Any Lowe's, Menards, or Home Depot have them. Run your antenna feed into one side, run your TV2 output from the 522 into the other side, switch as needed.

The reason that your TV2 signal is week, is because you are transimitting it out on your TV antenna.

I just got off chat with a Dish rep- she suggested connecting the TV2 output to a VCR and using RCA cables for the DVR functions and just plug the antenna in to the coax on the TV. She also mentioned using a switch to. I didn't realize this would be so complicated. I really appreciate all the replies!

I just got off chat with a Dish rep- she suggested connecting the TV2 output to a VCR and using RCA cables for the DVR functions and just plug the antenna in to the coax on the TV. She also mentioned using a switch to. I didn't realize this would be so complicated. I really appreciate all the replies!
Is your TV2 an older set perhaps? I had one that would not tune in well at all. Ended up using a VCR for the tuner, as per your talk with Dish.

No- TV2 is a brand new Sharp 32" LCD HDTV (if that's what you're asking). I guess I'm just using the VCR as a pass through from the DVR TV2 output and using RCA cables from the VCR to the jacks on the back of the TV. I have it hooked up and it seems to work. The SD signal from the sat box looks pretty good, not perfect, but decent. At least the OTA HD looks great! Like I said, this wouldn't be problem if the TV and sat box are next to each other.

This is precisely what I just did. I sent my OTA and Dish Network Ch.60 (modulated) channel on seperate cable to behind my tv (only have one Coax input). I used a standard Splitter/Combiner and ran both onto the same cable. Everything works, although the Picture quality of the TV2 leaves a little to be desired, it looks decent and the OTA looks as you would guess fantastic. I was only really worried UNTIL NOW about damaging equipment doing this, but I don't see that as even being possible. Are my neighbors then able to tune into my CH. 60 and watch what I am watching. I would guess there wouldn't be enough power to actually transmit, but that make me a little nervous, especially with .01 Cinemax. Ha.

Can someone help me?
I have a DishNet 622 & a 722. I would like to have OTA avail to both receivers and all TV's in the house. Currenlty I have 2 signal combiners (one for each DVR) and on the back of each DVR is a splitter to tuner 1 & tuner 2.
Can I add an OTA antenna and split the signal out at the receiver? Also I would like the OTA and TV2 channels to be avail to other TV's in the home.

Is this even possible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)