522 Dual Output

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lurch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Buffalo,New york
Any word on upgrades yet to turn off dual mode and turn on single mode for pip and recording 2 shows at once and such? This dual thing sucks as I am replacing an ultimate tv unit with this.

lurch said:
Any word on upgrades yet to turn off dual mode and turn on single mode for pip and recording 2 shows at once and such? This dual thing sucks as I am replacing an ultimate tv unit with this.

I finally got some sort of an answer. Take it for what it's worth. But a guy claiming to be on the software development side of the 522 claims that single mode will not be operational until summer of '04.

I don't know if he was just lying to get me off the phone, or if he actually was part of the dev team, but I promptly cancelled after his phone call.

-Casey

It does take Dish a long time so I would think it would be at LEAST that time if not later. Think about all the delays we have before and then you will believe it.

caeyathompson said:
I finally got some sort of an answer. Take it for what it's worth. But a guy claiming to be on the software development side of the 522 claims that single mode will not be operational until summer of '04.
It's interesting to note that the DirecTivo box did not initially have its 2nd tuner operational (see this newsgroup post) when it shipped in late Sept. 2000. It appears, based on another newsgroup post that the 2nd tuner did not become operational until the end of August, 2001 - so about an 11 month span. Waiting a mere 6 or 7 months for the 522 to get "single mode" should be no big deal, right?

Perhaps Dish done a lot of people a favor by not having it available to them if they do not take DHP or is currently an existing subscriber in that we found out this way that the 522 lacked the functionality of PIP single user mode.

I'm asking this solely out of curiosity because I have already switched to D* a week and a half ago but can you clarify something for me:

1. At this time, the 522 CAN'T record two shows at once?

2. What's the big deal about the missing PIP function? (This is not a smart-aleck question, I'm just trying to see what I'm missing here. I am personally not a big fan of PIP even though my set has a really cool function where it will show PIPs around the border with a larger PIP in the center of the screen.) If someone has a PIP-capable TV, could the problem be solved by just using both outputs of the 522 to one TV?

3. As it shipped, will the 522 record 2 shows while it outputs 2 recorded shows? (Sort of a sub-question of no. 1 above.)

It can record 2 shows at once but only one on each tuner.You can watch one thats recorded while recording another one.Its just a major pain in the ass having it connected to two inputs,and having to switch between inputs.

Gotcha, thanks. I was trying to determine if the 522 as it was released (but made unavailable to me by E*) would have done what I wanted it to do. It would have. <sigh> :rolleyes:

lurch said:

Gawd, why in the world would you want to get rid of the fantastic UTV for any Dish product?

well I really didnt want to but dish had the 811 deal,and d* cost $399 to get hdtv,and couldnt afford to have both E* & D* so I went with the 811 522 combo,I guess I thought the 522 would work just like the ultimate tv

video62 said:
caeyathompson said:
It's interesting to note that the DirecTivo box did not initially have its 2nd tuner operational (see this newsgroup post) when it shipped in late Sept. 2000. It appears, based on another newsgroup post that the 2nd tuner did not become operational until the end of August, 2001 - so about an 11 month span. Waiting a mere 6 or 7 months for the 522 to get "single mode" should be no big deal, right?

You are correct. The DirecTiVo did originally come with only 1 tuner active. But it was sold this way, and I was aware of it when I first bought it.

On the other hand, the 522 was "sold" to me as a 1:1 comparison of the DirecTiVo.

The 522 is not the only reason I canceled. The PQ of my locals (Burlington) were out right disgusting, and even the standard movie channels I found to be to pixelated to watch for any amount of time.

There's also the WAF. Having DirecTiVo for almost 4 years, we've come to expect a few things, and moving to the 522 was just not a step in the right direction for us.

-Casey

beejaycee said:
1. At this time, the 522 CAN'T record two shows at once?
snip
3. As it shipped, will the 522 record 2 shows while it outputs 2 recorded shows? (Sort of a sub-question of no. 1 above.)
Based on the spec sheet and what I've read here the 522 currently acts like two 50x series recorders in one box.

If you want to record 2 shows at the same time then you'll get a 'conflict' alert on TV1... so you then switch to the other tuner (you better have dual inputs on your TV), put down the TV1 remote, pick up the TV2 remote and select your show for recording. Obviously, the DirecTivos have been doing this (record 2 shows at the same time) since August, 2001 but it took them some time to get "dual tuners" to work as well.

What I have yet to see answered here is the question "are all recordings on the 522 common and available to both TV1 and TV2, or do they keep them separate"?

It should be able to 'play' two shows at once, which could be handy if you are outputting a show to a another TV, a VCR or DVD-recorder - a feature which the DirecTivos cannot do, so a point for Dish 522 there *if* the recorded shows are common and available to both. If not, then outputing to a recorder could be a PITA ROYALE!

The 522 recordings are not common. Tuner1 must be played back on TUNER1, Tuner2 must be played back on TUNER2 if you push the DVR button it only shows the programs recorded on that TUNER. It acts just like you had two separate 50X's connected to the TV. But if you have picture in picture on your TV you can make it work with just one receiver, a slight plus for DISH but definitely not a TiVo.

Anonymous said:
The 522 recordings are not common...
And to think I was dying to have one of these things just a mere month ago. If I would have bought it and experienced its infant functionality I'd have flipped out!

I notice that the 322 and 522 are still not listed on the Dish website...

Anonymous said:
The 522 recordings are not common. Tuner1 must be played back on TUNER1, Tuner2 must be played back on TUNER2 if you push the DVR button it only shows the programs recorded on that TUNER. It acts just like you had two separate 50X's connected to the TV. But if you have picture in picture on your TV you can make it work with just one receiver, a slight plus for DISH but definitely not a TiVo.

This is incorrect. I can watch the shows I recorded on tuner1 on the tuner2 tv upstairs. Now you can't watch it until it is completely finished recording, but afterwards you can. I am a little bummed it can't do what it was advertised regarding the single mode and PIP, but I'm still happy with it. I'm worked it through a second input on my TV so it is kind of in single mode but I need both remotes handy. Beats the hell out of my Time Warner DVR. Now that is the biggest piece of crap around.

Yeah ,I learned you could access recordings from both tuners also.I also have a weird problem,I have both tuners going into my 811 thru back panel inputs,now if I connect the audios thru the 811 also I get just left channel sound out of both.I have to have the audio hookups goin directly to my surround receiver.I also wish it was name based recording rather than time based.

While the 522 isn't sounding like the wet dream it was reported to be while it was a vapor product, I'd still rather buy a 522 than a 322 simply to be able to drive 2 televisions with satellite television with only one additional receiver fee (assuming the 522 is an additional receiver for you).

To achieve the same, with PVR, you'd need to buy two 5xx units and a video modulator.

Mike_H said:
While the 522 isn't sounding like the wet dream it was reported to be while it was a vapor product, I'd still rather buy a 522 than a 322 simply to be able to drive 2 televisions with satellite television with only one additional receiver fee (assuming the 522 is an additional receiver for you).

To achieve the same, with PVR, you'd need to buy two 5xx units and a video modulator.

Nah cuz then you get hit with the $5 ro $10 DVR fee.

-Casey

Mike_H said:
...I'd still rather buy a 522 than a 322 simply to be able to drive 2 televisions with satellite television with only one additional receiver fee...
I thought with a 322 (it can drive two TVs) you would only have to pay one additional receiver fee...

Right. And I'd rather have the PVR functionality on those two televisions than not to have the PVR functionality.

The sentence structure wasn't very good. I won't get hit with the DVR fee as I'll sub to AEP at that time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)