522 DVR Receiver lost signal...

hrp2171

Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
...after I moved it myself. :D

Here is the story, the Dish Network Techs came by my house 2 weeks ago to hook me up with DISH Network HD. I got to keep the old DVR receiver for 2 of my rooms while the HD DVR receiver got hooked up for the 2 other rooms.

Old DVR = 2 kids rooms
HD DVR = Living Room + Master Bedroom

The Techs got everything done and left. Then we noticed the message on the Old DVR about needing to connect to a phone jack, yadda, yadda... But the room where they installed said DVR does not have a phone jack. TV2 Room does have a phone jack. Let the fun times begin!

I looked at the back of the Old DVR paying attention on how it was connected. I unhooked all the cables off the back of it and the TV, moved it to the other room, and connected everything to the other TV the exact same way. Reprogrammed the remotes to the different TVs and powered on the DVR. Everything looked good until I got the dreaded message about one of the Sat inputs not working right or whatever. :eek: I kept trying the manual reset method and also unplugging the power cable from the wall, etc. Nothing, it would not find a signal. I was getting very frustrated because it should be simple: just move the DVR from point A to point B. As long as everything is connected the same way it was before it should be good to go. NOT!!! No matter what I tried or what the Dish Network phone Tech would have me do, the DVR did not find a signal.

Well, now the Dish Net Techs are coming back on Thursday to straighten things out. I lucked out because they should have made sure that all the DVRs were connected to a phone line before they left. So there will not be any charges for them to return to my place. Whew! :cool::up

no offence but because of your action the tech will get hit with TC or possible charge back. it is not that simple to re- relocate you dont know what you are doing.
when you re located receiver did you go to youre home run destributin to swap diplexers around as well?

I can understand if I moved the actual dish antenna around during my mishap, but I didn't. It was a simple disconnect some cables here and reconnect them there. Also, why didn't my HD receiver lose the satellite signal.

you swapped a backfeed line as your feed line, thats why you didn't have any signal. If you decide to play musical receivers in the future, remember this, if you move a receiver, you need to trace the line and move that to or else you will have no signal. Now isn't rocket science fun!

Thank you. Now I have much respect for the Techs that work on satellite connection stuff. Please don't misunderstand my posts as ranting against DishNetwork or the Techs that came out to my house. I was upset at the darn hardward and myself all along.;)

Another lesson learned: working on computer hardware does not translate to working on satellite hardware.

Honestly, I really thought it was like unhooking a computer from one spot and placing it in another. You all will be glad to know that Dish Network will eat the charges but the Techs are going to get paid anyway. :up

Dish Network called the day before the Techs were to come out. Nice Service by the way. So we told them not to send them to our house.

I moved the DVR back to the original room, reversed the cable changes, and the DVR is working fine. The problem with the other room was: I was trying to use the same satellite number as the HD DVR in the living room. I panicked when the DVR lost the signal after moving it, so I looked at the information on the HD DVR to try and make it work.

I've learned that one input uses sat 119 and the other sat 110. Whew! I'm glad everything's back to normal.

No, you still don't know how it works, each input sees all the satellites. A dual tuner DVR needs independent signal to each input, unless you use a separator and have a DPP44 or DPPlusTwin or equivalent.

You have two choices at this point.

1. leave it alone, run a phone line to that room to solve the original problem.
2. read everything here you can find especially anything that has diagrams of how things are connected including LNBFs, switches, diplexers, etc.

Last edited:
the tech should of confirmed all boxes were plugged into working phone lines.

if they arent theres a 5 buck a month extra charge. I would have the tech return to run the phone line. the fault is the tech not the customer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)