522 DVR Video Issues

Someone said it seemed to be more specific with some channels than others...or more common with some channels than others.

There are some channels that use specific transponders from specific satellites. If one can see a trend then we may be able to see which transponders/satellites that the 522 seems to have a harder time dealing with or if it even has anything to do with that or not. Maybe the 522 is more sensative to things than the other receivers.

Getting out of the contract isn't too difficult. I had a similar issue with a cellular provider. After many calls about their horrible service, I attempted to get out my contract. Of course, the played the card "so sad... too bad"... well, after a little research and a $64 filing fee, I simply filed a lawsuit (not class action) and buried them in interrogatories. They obviously do not want to send an attorney to court to fight you, so within 3 days of them being served, I got a call from their legal department stating that they would terminate my contract if I dismissed the suit. I agreed, but they had to pay me a reasonable fee for my time/expenses for $500. Done and signed, thanks drive through.... :)

Thats a good point. If they think that they dont have a case or that it would cost too much to get a lawyer there plus the cost of the flight and trial costs and all that then they would probably settle if you have a good point.

I think it's also in their contract that they need to provide you with television. If they don't do that... they should pay you, shouldn't they?

Stargazer said:
There are some channels that use specific transponders from specific satellites. If one can see a trend then we may be able to see which transponders/satellites that the 522 seems to have a harder time dealing with or if it even has anything to do with that or not. Maybe the 522 is more sensative to things than the other receivers.

That could be. I had recorded Lost the same night as the American Idol that I had all those problems with. Amazingly there were zero dropouts for Lost. And my wife was even recording Simple Life during the second half of Lost. I'll see if that had dropouts. If it did, then maybe it is channel specific.

Maybe it is a sign of tuner failure. The 501/508/721 receivers were known for that. I had a tuner failure twice in the 501 and a tuner failure once in my 721. The first sign was it pixellating as you describe then I would get the "satellite signal lost" message in and out and eventually it wouldnt work at all anymore. On the 721 I would notice it happening on one of the tuners not both.

Has the problem been gradually getting worse or is it about the same? If the problem is not getting worse but is about the same then maybe its not the tuner starting to fail. We should see if there is a pattern with this problem. People should check to see if it is one specific tuner doing it and not the other.

Maybe one tuner is closer to the hard drive than the other causing it to overheat more. Also the vibrations of the hard drive could be affecting the tuner near it.

522 and upset

Yes, if anyone has read my other posts, I am getting ready to start a class action law suite, but GalaxyFE had a good point.

I now have 3 522 at home for "testing" and if I still have issues, I want out.

I do think the Class Action Law suite will be better since it can bring public awareness to the topic.

I will write more later.
Nick

Stargazer said:
Unh. I don't quite get that. EVERY channel is on a specific transponder of a specific satellite. They rarely move, and rarely are in more than one spot (except for some internationals).

I mistyped with the "some channels" phrase or it was misunderstood. "Some" channels are on a particular transponder but not all of the channels are on the same transponder or on the same satellite. There may be 10 channels on one transponder and then another set of channels on another and then another set on a different satellite altogether.

If there was some reason why some channels may be more likely to glitch than others then maybe the 522 is more likely to do so. Does anyone know if the 322 uses the same type of tuners that the 522 does? If they do then maybe it is due to the hard drive being in the 522. Also does anybody know if it is a problem only specific with a particular tuner in the 522 or is it happening on both? I have noticed it pixellating on mine every once in a while too but not for the most part.

Haven't had any out of sync audio in a long time until this weekend, then one show was really bad and wouldn't resync until I rebooted the 522. Seems ok again now.

But I've been getting a lot of the video glitches talked about here on recordings. For me, that's the key, recordings. If I'm watching the tv when the timer kicks in and I watch the show it is all fine, no video glitches at all. But going back and playing the recording I suddenly have the glitches. This confused me as I thought the box just saved the signal directly to the HD for normal playback and copies it for recorded programs. Thus it makes me think something is wrong with the drive or something as the signal would appear fine. Now I guess it could be a software issue if I'm not right in how the data is stored. Either way I wish it would be fixed, it is irritating to have the audio drop out like that in the middle of a show several times.

adv_dp_fan said:
Haven't had any out of sync audio in a long time until this weekend, then one show was really bad and wouldn't resync until I rebooted the 522. Seems ok again now.

But I've been getting a lot of the video glitches talked about here on recordings. For me, that's the key, recordings. If I'm watching the tv when the timer kicks in and I watch the show it is all fine, no video glitches at all. But going back and playing the recording I suddenly have the glitches. This confused me as I thought the box just saved the signal directly to the HD for normal playback and copies it for recorded programs. Thus it makes me think something is wrong with the drive or something as the signal would appear fine. Now I guess it could be a software issue if I'm not right in how the data is stored. Either way I wish it would be fixed, it is irritating to have the audio drop out like that in the middle of a show several times.

My experience using my 522 has also shown the audio dropout and video glitch problem is only with the recording of the signal. Its fine when watching it live and only shows up on the recording.
I can rewind and replay and the glitch is still in the same spot.
I have Never noticed it when pausing and replaying live TV. Its my understanding that live TV is being buffered on the same harddrive only in a seperate partition.
Maybe the 522 is just undered powered and can't handle it at times for everything its trying to do. The dvr recording process seems to take the hit in these instances and results in the intermittent glitches.
Software could be tweaked this way and that to try and avoid some data bottlenecks but maybe its just not possible to make it operate 100%
without all the Tech details we can only guess what the underlaying issues might be and possible solutions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts