522 optical out surround 5.1 dolby sound?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Slyster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I have had the 522 now for a week or so.. and was all excited to plug this unit into my home theater amp via optical audio... and only to get all PCM 2 channel sound. ? Does dish never broadcast any shows in surround sound? I have the 522 set to both PCM and Dolby.. just Dolby out results in total silence since apparently there is no output other than PCM.

Why did I spend all the money to get the optical out cable (as well as another one and a optical switcher for my DVD player) when it isn't doing me any good? Any advantages to using the optical out? Or will there be some day?

Might as well have used the old $3.00 RCA cables eh?

The dolby digital is used mostly on The main premium channels, Like HBO east and west, Showtime east and west, things along those lines.. Most of the other channels are not broadcast in Dolby Digital. I belive a few of the PPV channels are broadcast in Dolby Digital.

One advantage at least in my opinion is that you have a pure transfer from the 522 to your audio receiver. When your audio receiver gets the audio data, it is exactly as the content's directors and editors wanted you to hear it (aside from some minimal loss inherent in the compression contained in the MPEG stream). An analog connection to the audio receiver just can never reproduce the exact original sound though it may be close enough most of us will not notice any difference.

Also, related to the above, I just personally like the least amount of analog signal paths in my setup as possible to reduce any chance of signal interference. Digital connections are not prone to interference, or at least are nowhere near as sensitive. If anything interferes with the data stream, you will know when you hear pops, chirps, clicks, etc.

One last advantage, in the case of optical digital audio (and not applicable to copper digital audio connections) is complete electrical isolation (aside from the receptacle) between the components. If someone accidentally pours a beer into your 522's power supply and subsequently it develops a short to the chassis (or some other scary scenario) anything connected to it through conductive cabling (coax, etc.) could be damaged.

Even without DD5.1, the sound quality when using the digital connection is much improved. Buying an optical cable is well worth the money, and it doesn't have to be an expensive one. See the EKB Dolby Digital page for the channels that have DD (none are in AT180).

Thanks. Makes me feel better about the cables and splitter I bought! I was dissapointed tonight when I found out that all my DISH 180 channels are only PCM 2 channel.. even the Encor and "Movie Channel" channels... dang... guess there are serious bandwidth restrictions.. or maybe no one cares about surround sound?

BobaBird said:
Even without DD5.1, the sound quality when using the digital connection is much improved.
That's what I was trying to say in my first point above. Note my post above isn't directed at Dolby Digital, but includes all formats I've seen come out of the 522: PCM 48kHz, DD 2.0, and DD 5.1.

Slyster, you might look into getting a cheap OTA HD receiver for some FREE DD 5.1 & 2.0 content from your local broadcast stations (if you're not too far or obstructed to get their signals).

I recommend the Hisense DB-2010. It's branded USDigital at Wal-Mart for $198.76. I don't like USDigital but the OEM, Hisense, did a very nice job on this basic model receiver.

I wrote a review of the DB-2010 as compared to the Samsung SIR-T451 and posted it here in the "HD Receiving Equipment" forum on this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts