522 stops responding

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

geekbass

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
This has happened for the 3rd day in succession. I turn my 522 off (not unplug it) at night and when I go to work. When I return I find out that I can't turn it on. The dish screen saver is on but it does not respond to anything, including the buttons on the box itself. I unplug it and plug it back and it starts working. All the timers during the time it froze are gone. Not skipped, just gone. Has anyone seen this?

P.S. I lost the latest 24 episode due to this. :mad:

geekbass said:
This has happened for the 3rd day in succession. I turn my 522 off (not unplug it) at night and when I go to work. When I return I find out that I can't turn it on. The dish screen saver is on but it does not respond to anything, including the buttons on the box itself. I unplug it and plug it back and it starts working. All the timers during the time it froze are gone. Not skipped, just gone. Has anyone seen this?

Several firmware revisions ago I had this problem, but never three days in a row. You might try to force it to download the guide and see if it's hanging up during that process. I wish I had a link to help you on this, but I'm not finding anything on this forum. I think the procedure is to go to the diagnostics menu and perform a switch test, then turn both receivers off (if in dual mode).

Dave nye said:
You should really just leave that receiver on most of the time.

The only major differences between having the receiver 'on' and 'off' is that in 'off' mode (what I would call standby) the dish screensaver is displaying on the outputs, and the unit is not saving the live tv buffer to disk. The only time the receiver is truly 'off' is when it's unplugged from AC power.

I had a chat with SBC Dish customer support. Initially they said reproduce this and call us while it's not running. Then I asked if this was a known problem and suddenly I'm told they will send another unit in warranty.

For future reference, it's "nicer" to the hardware (and perhaps even the software) if you do a soft-reset rather than unplugging it. Just hold down the power button on the front panel for 3-5 seconds and you should then hear the fans spin up as it reboots. :)

Dave nye said:
This contradicts the advice of several Dish customer support reps. I've heard repeatedly that you should turn the receiver off at night. Not that this practice has ever solved anything IMO.

Update:

I kept the receiver on. After around 18 hours of normal operation, the thing froze! The last image of the running program showed up on screen. No response to anything else. Soft reboot from remote didn't work. Soft reboot from the box worked but after it turned on nothing happened. Unplugged it, plugged it back and right now it is downloading the program guide again.

Welcome to flavour country.

Edit, I guess I should add to my post.
I cancelled my DHA account a couple of weeks ago.
After explaining the numerous 522 issues I've paid for over the last 6 months, the CSR acknowledged the fact that the 522 has "issues" and told me that with any new technology there are bound to be bugs in the system.

I feel lucky to have been a part of the Dish Network beta testing program and feel nothing but gratitude for them telling me about the fact that it's a piece of (deleted) in the first place.

Dave said:
Even if you attempt to leave it on 24/7, it will automatically turn itself off every morning at 3AM (or whatever time you set in Updates (Menu-8-5).

Disabling updates will keep the unit from resetting nightly, but then you don't get any guide info either.

Geekbass - Welcome to the unofficial beta tester bunch -aka- retail customers.

Just keeps getting worse. Today, I find out that not only it froze but deleted all
my recordings and timers. Woohoo. Though Dish did send me a new receiver so I can
set that up tomorrow and hope this one doesn't get messed up. If it does, Comcast,
here I come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts