522 Switch Test Failed

curtvanjr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
West Michigan
My 522 had the "aquiring signal" screen up and it failed to get a signal. It had me do a switch test and it failed on sat 2. Dish Network wants to send a guy out for $99(yikes). Does it appear that I need a new LNB?

Thanks

Sounds like, but you never know. Try doing another check switch test, then check your signal strengths on both satellites.

If they do send someone out, that's probably $99 for the guy's visit, plus another $150 or so for a new LNB. Check DishStore.net for a new one - you can instal it yourself really easy, but you'd have to wait for shipping vs. sooner if a Dish person came out for you...

Try swapping the "satellite in" cables on the back of your 522 and run the switch test again. Let us know the results.

I swapped the cables on the back of the box and it still reports an error on sat 2. I dosconnected the cable from sat 2 and now TV1 works. Still a switch?

Sounds like a bad tuner to me. Problem didn't move when you swapped the cables so it's in the box.

Try a power-cord reboot just to be sure, if it's still broke, the receiver needs to be replaced.

I tried the unplug-reboot several times-no change. So if I have a dish guy come out, and he determines its the box, will he have a replacement receiver with him or will that have to be shipped out? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Personally, before I agreed to the $99, I'd do one of two things. First, you can sign up for the Warranty they offer for $5.99 a month. After your problem is fixed by a tech, you can then cancel. Secondly, and what I'd try, is insist they send another unit to you. Get advanced tech support on the line and tell them everything you've tried, including the swap of the sat in ports. As an installer myself, tech support should realize that if the problem didn't follow, then it is not the lnbf, cables, ground blocker (assuming there is one); it is the box itself. Whole lot quicker & cheaper (on them as well as they'd have to pay a tech just to swap the box) on everyone. And, there's a good chance the field tech may not have a spare 522 on the truck when they pull up, so you're still waiting.

Hell, if you have to, tell them a relative brought over their 522 and everything worked just fine with their unit hooked up to your cabling.

Note that I'm basing all this on the fact that they problem "didn't" follow when you swapped the cables.

Well, I tried one more thing. I removed the cable from sat 2 input and now TV1 works. Then I took the other cable and put it on sat 1 and it does not work. This leads me to think there is one cable coming from the dish that has no signal. When I put the "good" cable on sat 2 input only and nothing on sat 1 it does not work. Will a 522 work with only sat 2 connected? At least I have TV1 until I get it figured out.

Thanks

Curt,

The 522 requires two connections to work properly but you will be able to watch the main TV with just tuner one ("satellite in one") connected (your guide information will be limited to about one or two hours).

You can see if there is a signal problem by looking at the signal strength screen. You will be able to "see" if there is no signal on a tuner and then you can swap cables again and see if it is the cable or the tuner. From the information you gave us in a previous post it sure looked like a tuner (receiver) problem but not being able to see exactly what is happening makes it difficult to say for sure.

When you are looking at the signal strength screen move the "satellite in" cables around and see if the signal comes and goes. It could just be a bad connector on one of the cables that is causing your problems.

It was the receiver. I took farmsatguy's advice on the warranty and they came out this morning and they had a box with them. Thanks again for all suggestions and advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)