522 Uhf pro antenna through home cable system

partymonkey

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I've been struggling with the TV2 UHF Pro remote used upstairs, with the receiver downstairs. I have tried a number of things over a few months (different angles of the antenna on the 522, a 3 foot cable extension, building the bare copper wire antenna suggested by a different post, etc) and I am fed up with this remote.

I saw a post that discussed combining the 522 UHF remote port and the TV2 out port with a splitter, and then putting another splitter in the actual TV2 room outlet, with the uhf antenna on one output and the other output going into the TV2. (I think I have TV2 set up for Channel 61 or so).

Can anyone confirm if this type of setup usually works? What type of splitters do I need to buy? (can I use the 5-900Mhz splitters? are all splitters bidirectional? how do you tell?) I assume I don't need diplexers for this operation, correct?

Any other ideas on how to make the uhf pro remote work across floors?

Thanks in advance.

Not pertaining to your splitter question, but have you verified the actual distance that you 'CAN' use your TV2 remote? I've verified mine to 40 feet through 4 walls.(1 rock outside wall and 1 brick inside wall as well as 2 - 2x4 drywalls)

The remote seems to eminate signal in a radial flat pattern. If your remote *sides/front* are in parallel with the receiver antenna, it seems to work better than if the top or bottom are in line with the 522 antenna.

522_!---------[obstructions]------------<remote)

If you are on an upper floor, you may try tilting the remote & antenna to match planes. *just a suggestion*

Plus make sure you've got 'GOOD' batteries in the remote.

Lastly, take off the batter door and pull out and re-insert the tab(making sure blue-side up). I've seen the switch inside the remote temporarily loose contact or not seat well and cause TV2 not to function.

You may have already gone though these steps, but it is worth mentioning for others who may have the same issues.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the response, Mark_AR. Over time, I've realized and tried most of those things you mentioned. I can get the remote to work upstairs, but it's a job of acrobatics, moving around the room and the arms until you get the right angle, while you click on the remote repeatedly until some angle sticks. I've also grown so tired of trying different angles w/ the antenna until I find one that works less worse than the others.

Dish has been no help...you can buy a separate receiver.

There's gotta be a better solution, other than getting a separate receiver.

....still looking.....

Yup done it several times. Most any splitter will work, but the better the splitter the less chance of problems. You don't need one of those $10.00 moster cable ones but a good quality one.

Have you considered just attaching the UHF antenna to an unused location upstairs and than place your antenna, that works fantastic as well, and than you don't have to use splitters

Thanks for all of the responses.

Dish Dude: can you give me more details on what you mean? I'm not sure I follow.

Folks: can anyone provide any more details on getting the splitter setup to increase the remote range to work? My first attempt resulted in even poorer range.

Thanks a bunch.

do you have a spare bedroom upstairs without a TV in it? If you do this is the simplest way I have found to extend the range of the antenna, take a separate cable from your receiver's UHF antenna port, connect that at your central location to your unused location closer to your 2ndary TV, and than screw the supplied antenna into the wall jack upstairs. Extends the range and works great, no splitters no mess

Hi Dish Dude, I don't have a spare home distrib. cable going to the DVR. Both cables were used by my installer, one to feed the receiver from the satellite, the other to send the TV2 out signal back into the distribution system to go to the bedroom upstairs. (hence my wanting to use splitters).

I ended up buying a 4 dollar bowtie UHF antenna and connecting it to the 522 UHF remote antenna port, works much better now, although it is not my ideal situation since the antenna is more visible than the original one.

Still would like to know how to get other options to work well, but the bowtie one is much better.

Thanks for the help.

did you try just taking one wire from each of the antenna jack, and the tv2 out jack into a splitter "out" ports, then the wire going upstairs screwed onto the splitter "in" port. then upstairs, do the same, from the wall to the "in" side of the splitter, one side of the out to the tv, and screw the UHF antenna on the other "out" port of the splitter...
did you try it that way?

Just a plain old ordinary $10 UHF antenna plugged into the antenna port will likely be all that you need. Put the antenna wherever you want in an inconspicuous place.