5lnb dish rainfade problems coming?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
I was reading about the band used for the new satellites and the 5lnb dish and it said that it was more succeptible to rain fade. Does this mean that rain fade will become more of a problem now? Will the signal from the new satellites go out everytime it storms now? Why would DirecTV go backwards and install satellites that use a frequency more succeptible to rain fade?

From the data in Reference Data for Engineers, 8th Edition, I'd estimate to Ka rain fade to be 4.4x that at Ku band. I would also conclude from the other graphical data presented that the loss will exceed 6dB in Ka band about 10% of the time it is raining, so a smaller percentage of total time. It doesn't look like the end of the world just yet. . .

From what I've read in another forum, the Detroiters say it does better with rain/snow fade than their older dishes. However, we'll need to reserve judgement until 2007 when DirecTV 10 and 11 are up to see what happens with Ka signals that aren't spotbeamed.

Ask the Canadian Satellite guys forum, Starchoice has a bigger dish than EVu (dish) and seems to suffer less rain fade.

That is due to Starchoice using a different frequency. They have a medium power satellite instead of a high power satellite if I am not mistaken. It is less susceptible to rain fade.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)