61.5 Signal Issues / Split ARC

..... if you peak the dish while the signal is still being blocked, you might not be pointed directly at the satellite, but rather at where the strongest unblocked signal is coming through at the time you are aiming the dish......

This is huge. :)
And definitely helpful and informative.
This is the info I'm seeking from you informed geeks.

This is exact;y what I would do too. Lol. :oldmad

Thanks sooo much.

...... the signal does not come straight in from where it looks like the dish is pointed. It comes in from an upward angle and bounces down to the LNB. So, you may need to look higher up in the sky than you would think, in order to find where the obstruction is.

Yes. Thanks.

I have been surprised how high the birds can be.
Yet, I still fail to realize that often. lol.

I learned this lesson in the past.
I have often been surprised how high these birds are, even on the western arc.
Yet the current issue is the 61.5.

I feel it is trees / limbs. Could be lnb issues too. But I am following the tree theory currently.

I have 110/119, and 61.5.

I believe this could be my problem. The trees. Well obviously. I know it is a factor.
I may be underestimating the height of the bird.
Therefore under estimating the height of the limbs.

Thanks for the input.

.... It comes in from an upward angle and bounces down to the LNB. So, you may need to look higher up in the sky than you would think, in order to find where the obstruction is.

Exactly.

It is surprising, as noted, how the bird may be higher than anticipated. Especially the EA birds.

It absolutely does offset the line of sight to have a "Y" yoke.
If the offset is 4 degrees to the left, the incoming signal with be 4 degrees to the right of center from an azimuth standpoint (more or less).

Thank you. Regarding the "Y" or "I" yoke.

I knew I wasn't hallucinating. Lol.

It seemed obvious to me that if I have an "straight" yoke, then it would be easier to see the path to bird. Through the trees.

Is that so hard for others to understand. ? ? ?

That is my whole point of my post.
The "Y" does offset the signal. Having an "I" yoke would help direct/point that path through the trees.

As I said, I have a thin window to capture 61.5
To capture 72 is a fantasy / delusion.
I will need to drop a 70 foot Hickory to get 72.

I suppose I'm lucky I have access to 61.5. 110 and 119. Considering the alternatives.

The Direct TV birds are burning a hole in the roof. Hummm.

OK

Last edited:
Follow up;

I tried to order an I yoke for a dish 500 and have failed.

Apparently this part is no longer in production.
I tried many sources, yet, I can't get this simple part.
Very frustrating.

" I yoke for lnb that works for dish 500 "

Any thoughts from the masters? ? ?

What to do ? ? ?

I will now PM the DIRT

Thanks for listening.

Bearsat

What to do ? ? ?
Go back to the replies (such as my post #11) that prescribe a dish-less determination of the LOS. This will allow you to cut your "hole" and then you can drop the dish into place and use the conventional aiming techniques versus having to guess on what the I mount parameters would be.

The I mount isn't going to solve any problems. LOS is LOS regardless of where the feed horn is offset on the dish and sighting through the solid metal dish to determine LOS simply isn't possible.

The premise of the OP was flawed.

when you're behind the dish you can very easily look over the top and tell what direction the dish is pointing when you have the "I" adapter.
also the "I" adapter will give you a slightly higher signal strength the using a "Y" adapter.

Reactions: TheKrell
when you're behind the dish you can very easily look over the top and tell what direction the dish is pointing when you have the "I" adapter.
While you can determine the horizontal LOS (assuming you can find a signal in the first place), the vertical offset of the dish prevents you from determining the much more difficult (yet equally imperative) vertical direction.
also the "I" adapter will give you a slightly higher signal strength the using a "Y" adapter.
I call hogwash on this claim.

This is the reason that the 1000.4WA was abandoned. I suspect that the multi-slot Dish 500s aren't regular paraboloids and that they two foci (not including the center axis of the dish).

Go back to the replies (such as my post #11) that prescribe a dish-less determination of the LOS. This will allow you to cut your "hole" and then you can drop the dish into place and use the conventional aiming techniques versus having to guess on what the I mount parameters would be.

Thanks so for you input. I appreciate you response and will add it to my actions.

I definitely need to cut a hole in the tree line.

I will eventually follow up with pics, if someone will point me to the test thread/ tutorial thread to post pics.

Thanks for the link. :)
I ordered from this link tonight. 11/30/15.
I hope they have this part. It will help me.

As mentioned I tried ebay and several dead end links, even though operable.
IOW, I ordered said Dish 500 I adapter, twice, yet , then was informed by email this part is no longer available.
Depressing. I do interpret that to mean this part is no longer in manufacture nor in distribution

Which makes sense.

But what do folks like I do when we need said part?

I know the answer. ... Call a tree man with a chainsaw. :eek
Then install a 1000.4 :biggrin

Exactly. ..... IMO.

This is my intention on my initial post fwiw.

Thank you.

While you can determine the horizontal LOS (assuming you can find a signal in the first place), the vertical offset of the dish prevents you from determining the much more difficult (yet equally imperative) vertical direction.
I call hogwash on this claim.

This is the reason that the 1000.4WA was abandoned. I suspect that the multi-slot Dish 500s aren't regular paraboloids and that they two foci (not including the center axis of the dish).

I also appreciate this type of detailed input.

I will attempt to respond to this post; I think I have a horizontal issue with LOS.

When you mention vertical, I will assume you mean height?
Height isn't my issue. It is width. Horizontal. I have about 13 - 20 degrees to catch 61.5.
No way to get 72 when tree are in bloom.

I just want the Dish 500 to get a "normal" signal and not cut out during a sunny day, or during drizzle.

Perhaps I haven't been clear.
I loose signal at odd times. Clear, rain, snow, solar flares, full moons, eclipses, Tuesdays, Black Fridays, etc.

Soon I will post pics , I hope.

[QUE="harshness, post: 3767407, member: 73437"]The I mount isn't going to solve any problems. LOS is LOS regardless of where the feed horn is offset on the dish and sighting through the solid metal dish to determine LOS simply isn't possible.

The premise of the OP was flawed.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for you contribution to this thread. I do truly appreciate your contribution. .

You obviously have a your opinion. And I am glad you shared it.

I tried to write a detailed response to your post a few times.
I decided to delete it each time, as a newbie. So ......

Perhaps my theory is flawed. But, ....

It created an interesting thread IMO. .... Which, I learned your theory could be flawed.
Or at least is a bit to detailed for a newbie.

I have a suspicion you have lack newbie explanation skills.

Which somehow I suspect may provide valuable info for us, and those lurking a helpful incite into the different aspects, elevation, longitude, and skew available on this thread, and many similar forums.

I can now understand your user name. :) As opposed to smoothness. :oldlaugh

Just My Thoughts

Thanks for Sharing

:biggrin

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone, truly, for your input, ideas and slams. ;)

I just placed an order, for an I bracket, for a Dish 500 again.
Did I say I tried twice before, and both failed for various reasons?
I even tried to steal one from a neighbors roof. :eek
I don't believe this product is still produced.

Epiphany: After re-reading this thread, I think it is my LNB.

I want to cut trees first, then replace lnb. Stupid, I know. First things first.
They need a trim anyway.

Is that not the obvious path?
Oh , please don't respond. That was rhetorical. And I have heard enough.... Please.

I will report back.

I find it interesting no one went with the LNB drift. Not one.

That was big a few years ago. I thought that might have meant something. [like] I may need an LNB, and not a tree man.
Yet not one commented about + - 7 lnb drift.
I recall reading here Dish would even call/email about drift if the box was connected. ? ? ?

I will try to post pics. If I figure that out, I will post pics of my 15 degree window to 61.5 and my lack of 72.5. While posting perhaps I'll share my unique roof mount dish system.
Some may appreciate it here.

Thanks to all

Bearsat

PS;
OK let me whack my trees to only discover it's the lnb.
It's a discovery process.
Let me learn.

Please spare me the posts unless it is about the lnb drift.

Thanks

I know ...... :eek:

PS
Having said all that noise, still, not one thing has been done to solve this issue. Not one.
This guy is a lame dog. What a slacker.
He just needs to talk about it a bit more, then , ......

So true. , ....... :imconfused

:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)