61.5: ZIP 19044/Signal Level 40 - Shows No Az, El, or Skew

geekboy2000

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Philly Suburbs, PA
Typically, I get outstanding reception across the board, but with the slightest rainfall, I lose 61.5. I used the Dish Pointer utility, and determined that I had dead-on azimuth, elevation and skew (249, 29, and 127 respectively), and a signal level of about 80 for the 110/119 satellites, but a level of only 40 on the 61.5 satellite. Additionally, the 61.5 dish showed no azimuth, elevation or skew numbers at all. I have two Dish 500's on the roof, so I'm assuming (I don't know squat - does it show?) 61.5 is on the dedicated dish. Do you think I'd benefit from having the thing checked for alignment, or is 61.5 just plain weak? A bit of searching here leads me to believe the latter, but I want to make sure I'm getting all that I can out of it. And, can I request an "alignment" direct from Dish Customer Service, or should I call the installer that did the job (about a year ago)? Any idea as to cost if in fact I should call for service? Thanks!

61.5 numbers will show on the point dish screen ONLY if you choose Dish 300, Dish 500 gives you N/A. You should be able to find it with the numbers given and if you use a Dish 500, skew would be set at 90.

Thanks! When I select Dish 300, I'm seeing a signal strength of 45, Azimuth of 171, and Elevation of 42. Skew shows N/A.

Thanks! When I select Dish 300, I'm seeing a signal strength of 45, Azimuth of 171, and Elevation of 42. Skew shows N/A.

Set the skew to 90 and use 171 and 42. Since you are already getting 45, fine tune to a higher signal strength, you should be getting somewhere in the 70's. You may have to adjust since you are pointing from the side of the dish with the lnb and not the center of the dish.

Set the skew to 90 and use 171 and 42. Since you are already getting 45, fine tune to a higher signal strength, you should be getting somewhere in the 70's. You may have to adjust since you are pointing from the side of the dish with the lnb and not the center of the dish.

Thanks Gary. Assuming that I can't do this (I know my limitations, particularly when it comes to being on the roof), is this something I can request that Dish do? Do I call them directly, or call my installer? Cost (just a guess)? Thanks again.

Mark

Installer would give a better idea of when to expect the tech, but Dish may give you a better price. Depending when your initial install was, it may not be too much. I cannot give you a cost since I learned how to check aiming a long time ago.

Installer would give a better idea of when to expect the tech, but Dish may give you a better price. Depending when your initial install was, it may not be too much. I cannot give you a cost since I learned how to check aiming a long time ago.

Fair enough. You've been very helpful. Thanks again!

Peaking your dish would be a piece of cake.

- Get one of these meters.
- Put it in line.
- Loosen your azimuth (L/R) bolts and move back and forth to get the highest signal. Tighten bolts.
- Loosen your elevation (U/D) bolts and move up and down to get the highest signal. Tighten bolts.

Viola!

Peaking your dish would be a piece of cake.

- Get one of these meters.
- Put it in line.
- Loosen your azimuth (L/R) bolts and move back and forth to get the highest signal. Tighten bolts.
- Loosen your elevation (U/D) bolts and move up and down to get the highest signal. Tighten bolts.

Viola!

Thanks! It's not the technical aspect that I have a problem with. It does sound easy, and that kind of thing doesn't scare me. It's the fact that it's on the roof, and:

1) No ladder.
2) If I had a ladder, I'd be queasy as hell up there.
3) I could probably beat the "queasy", but my back isn't worth a ___, and I sure as heck don't want to be hobbling around like Quasimoto on my roof. :)

I called Dish, and have a Tech coming out 10/18. I was quoted $29.99. I'll post back with the results. If it can be properly tweaked for 30 bucks, it's more than worth it to me.

If you're using a D500, note which port (110 or 119) the cable for 61.5 is connected to, because you must swing the dish left or right 4.5 degrees to compensate for the lnb's both being 4.5 degrees off center.

If you use 110, swing the dish assembly 4.5 degrees right of D300 azimuth, 119, swing it 4.5 degrees left.

The Tech just left. He got what I saw on-screen, from about 44 signal level to 60. I inquired as to whether I could get any more out of it, amplifiers, etc, and he stated "that should be more than enough". He was from the same organization that did the initial install (14 months ago), and didn't charge me, saying "It was dish alignment - no charge". I have no idea how that signal level translates into "staying power" when it comes to rain, etc, but eventually (when it rains next), I'm sure I'll find out. For now, the price was right, so we'll see.

If you're using a D500, note which port (110 or 119) the cable for 61.5 is connected to, because you must swing the dish left or right 4.5 degrees to compensate for the lnb's both being 4.5 degrees off center.

If you use 110, swing the dish assembly 4.5 degrees right of D300 azimuth, 119, swing it 4.5 degrees left.

Since I didn't do it myself, and, in another life, used to be a home service (TV/VCR) tech, I didn't want to tell the Tech how to do his job. Nevertheless, I still thank you for taking the time to respond with the info. I posted (just now) above, the results of what he did. I believe (yeah, I realize I should actually know) that I have 2 Dish 500's. One covering 110/119, and the other covering 61.5.

Not to be a thread hi-jacker, but I always wondered about this. I also have 2 Dish 500's -one for 110/119 and one for 61.5. The 61.5 dish has one LNB off-center on one side of the "Y" yoke. Would the signal improve if I changed it to a Dish 300, with the LNB right in the middle? (Since I have an extra Dish 300 laying around):)

My assumption is that dish designs its reflector/lnb combos to approximately gather the same signal level acrosso the board, that is a D300 gets the same signal level as either lnb on a D500 and as each of the lnb's on a D1000 , etc., but I have heard at least one person claim higher signal levels with an I adapter and a single lnb on a D500.

This is all heresay, I do not know of anyone who has actually done serious experimentation to prove it one way or theother.

My assumption is that dish designs its reflector/lnb combos to approximately gather the same signal level acrosso the board, that is a D300 gets the same signal level as either lnb on a D500 and as each of the lnb's on a D1000 , etc., but I have heard at least one person claim higher signal levels with an I adapter and a single lnb on a D500.

This is all heresay, I do not know of anyone who has actually done serious experimentation to prove it one way or theother.
I did measures for D300 and D500+Iadapter and posted here.
There is no question about increase signal level, it's just law of physics ! :)
Relative effect is proportional to increase of surface, take in account an efficiency of whole setup (dish,LNBF) 70-80%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts