612 issues

scooby2

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Chicago, IL
Whats the best way to get a flaky 612 replaced? I have called two nights in a row and they just make me do the unplug/reboot and then it comes up fine and works until sometime the next day when it either starts rebooting over and over until unplugged, reboots on its own while watching shows, or just plain locks up. The receiver was new in the box 3.5 weeks ago.

At this point I think I would rather get it replaced with a 622/722/722k. Lots of negative threads on the 612. This is the second DVR to die in 3.5 weeks of service.:(

yeah, the same thing happened to me, they just kept saying the problem needs to be happening while we troubleshoot or we can't help you, which is impossible since the problem i had happened for a few seconds like every hour. I emailed ceo but did not get a response, still have not gotten a response and its been more than two weeks now. So I called the executive customer service, I don't remember the 800 number, if there even was one, but this is the number the guy gave me to call back if I had anymore issues, I will leave out his extension: 720-514-8555
They most likely will not upgrade you to another machine depending on how many tuners you have.

When you call, just say the 612 won't even power up and you smell something burning. That should save about 2 weeks worth of begging.

When you call, just say the 612 won't even power up and you smell something burning. That should save about 2 weeks worth of begging.

you'll have replacement next day. the 612 is a big POS. I'm on my 3rd one in 18 months, I've learned don't connect OTA antenna

you'll have replacement next day. the 612 is a big POS. I'm on my 3rd one in 18 months, I've learned don't connect OTA antenna

Regarding interaction with the OTA input... why is this not recommended with this receiver?

you'll have replacement next day.

I wish that was always the case. I have a 612 that died Sunday. They shipped the replacement 2nd day air. I guess they figured my bedroom 211K would hold me over.

But then the 211K wouldn't change channels after a days use. I had to reboot to get it to "take".

Like the OP I am a new customer. I like the Dish deal..like the channel selection...but waiting for the UPS guy so I can watch TV is not what I signed up for.

Its hard to believe they would put out such a lemon. Obviously you are going to have hard drive failures but the 612 is just complete junk. I called and used the tactic suggested above and I should have a new 612 on Friday. The rep would not let me upgrade. Thanks for the tip.

I really need to find a way to backup my settings so that they can be easily restored.

Its hard to believe they would put out such a lemon. Obviously you are going to have hard drive failures but the 612 is just complete junk. I called and used the tactic suggested above and I should have a new 612 on Friday. The rep would not let me upgrade. Thanks for the tip.

I really need to find a way to backup my settings so that they can be easily restored.

you can only back up the recordings, not the timers or settings, I think only the 722k can do that.

Also got the guy to temporarily activate the EHD archiving, not sure how long or if it is even temp but will just stay on, but ask for that if you don't already have it active and if you happen to have an extra hard drive laying around.

I have had numerous probs with the 612...first one just plain crapped out...second kept giving me a message that "remote cannot connect to receiver"...don't remember the error number, but it would only flash for a split second, also flashed "smart card is not authorized" ..took 2 calls to get that one replaced...found out the 1st message was almost ALWAYS on 722's...3rd receiver worked for a few days, but constantly reset my DVR "Sort" order ( would set to "no group", and next day was back to "groups"), and "Guide Sekect" options...I like "button" rather than " pop-up"..I would set to "button:, and next day reset to "pop-up" again. I mentioned on the second day of call in on this ( after hearing "what is the problem?" response "same as yesterday, you took notes") that this is the third receiver I have had in a year! "Well sir, I see that you are eligible for an upgrade at no cost" (After a few minutes on hold with "Steve" from Mumbai I might add)..Got a new 722 and swapped the 622 from the basement up to the old 612 area cuz the blacks match my downstairs stuff, and the silver matches upstairs!

Glad it worked out for you! I think Dish QC on their refurbs has gone to blazes recently. My old refurbs were pristine and worked great for years.

My 612 is a little quirky. I've had it since Jan 15th. I was watching it last night, live TV, and all of sudden it rebooted itself and sounded like a jet taking off. While watching it today, it skipped to "live TV" from being rewound a little bit (not sure how much time though). One time while watching show (and recording it but live), it froze and then shutdown. It started back up on it's own and then proceeded to record the remaining portion of the show. We missed about 5 (important!) minutes.

Are these problems hardware or software related?

I call "hardware", most particularly the internal disk. Well, the "jet taking off" is typical. I have two of these and when they reboot, they do that.

The 612s are made in China with the cheapest components possible. Quality control there is ISO 9001. But in China that means they ship one good one for every 9000. :)

The 612s are made in China with the cheapest components possible. Quality control there is ISO 9001. But in China that means they ship one good one for every 9000. :)

Where are the other receivers (e.g., 722, 211, ...) made?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)