622->722k, should I take the deal Dish offered?

mmcl26554

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Northern WV
I have been a Dish customer for over 10 years, I have had HD with two VIP622's for 4 years. During that time I have replaced the 622's 10 times. Dish has offered to replace the two 622's with two 722K's. The only cost to me is $30 for each receiver to have the OTA tuner in them. We record most everything we watch to jump through the frequent Ads and the ability to record 2 programs via OTA would be nice for us since our locals are not in HD from dish. I have read a lot of opinions about the 622 and 722K so I would like some assistance in deciding what to do. So please share your opinion with me.
M

Take the deal. I have had a 722k for 2 1/2 years now trouble free. $30 for the modules is a good deal too. Just check if they shop them to you, there is going to be a shipping charge.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That deal is a gift from above. Take it! 722K's are the best you can get.

I pretty much has done the same deal, went from two 622's to 3 722k's. I had my 622's for about 5 years not one problem. Never quite understood why I never have the problems that seem so prevalent on the interweb. Anyway really like the 722k, added dual OTA tuner is nice. Sometimes the truck will have the tuner with them he gave a fiend his two. My installed said they pulled them from there trucks and I had to order them. He called the costumer retention dept while he was here, and got me 3 for 1. I was happy with that. All these boxes seem to run warm, would work on that if you haven't. Good luck.

4 years, 10- 622 rcvrs???! A new pair of 722 rcvrs will do nothing new for you, in my opinion. Something is going on at your house.

622's generally have bad reputations. Just as many people have great luck with them as people with issues. 10 bad ones though, something isn't right with the wiring and or cabling configuration at your house.

I myself hate 622's. If you can get 722k's, take 'em. I don't think your problems will be solved though.

If the receiver failure were all the same problem I would be inclined to agree with you, however, there is something different with each one. One of the recent failure was the hard drive, the other one was complete loss of signal which was always restored by simply going to the check signal strength screen (6-1-1), only one receiver had this problem and switching the lines from the dish did not correct it the same 622 had the same problem with a different cable. The dish is on the ground with conduit underground from the house to the dish and is not flooded with water. Cable is high quality RG6 and properly grounded. Receiver is not enclosed and does not seem to get excessively warm. So I don't know what could be the problem. Prior to the 622 I had 501's, 508's and 510's connected to the same system and no big problems there. It's just been the 622's with the problems and bad luck.
M

Had 2 622's over several years use. 1st was replaced due to being the dread C revision. Something in the design of that revision had a major problem. E* contacted me about replacing it because it was know to have problems. I went to the 722K after I got a HDTV that had HDMI and the taht was broken on the 622. Really like the 722k and it's still going strong 2 yr later (know on wood).

OMG take that offer before they rethink it!

A good UPS is a good investment.

To those of you who think I "may have some problem with my system" Please, give me some ideas what to look at as I think I have all the bases covered. I never had any receiver problems until I got DVR's but the 500 series of receivers only had problems with hard drives dying, and we know that is a weak point. The receivers I have had problems are the VIP622's, and of those the problems have been hard drive failure, OTA issues, constant reboot and one power supply failure.

To those of you who think I "may have some problem with my system" Please, give me some ideas what to look at as I think I have all the bases covered. I never had any receiver problems until I got DVR's but the 500 series of receivers only had problems with hard drives dying, and we know that is a weak point. The receivers I have had problems are the VIP622's, and of those the problems have been hard drive failure, OTA issues, constant reboot and one power supply failure.

Most common problem is over-heating, due to poor air circulation. You receiver should either be out in the open or well ventilated with fans if in an enclosure/cabinet. NEVER stack.

mmcl26554 said:

Problems could be anything from a bad connector to a reversed outlet. As said heat and the 622 don't go well together. You said you've had issues with the hard drive several times. I'd pull your electric outlet out and check it out. Also, a replacement outlet is less than a can of coke to replace.

Just replaced my 622 with a 722K last week. The 622 was one of the first ones out and I never had any problems with it but decided to upgrade for the additional HD capacity and the dual OTA tuners. I have always had a PC laptop cooler fan assembly under the 622 and transferred it to the 722K. I also have two EHDs (a 1TB and and 750GB) that I used with the 622 and the 722K read the drives without a problem.

Dish made the upgrade at no charge and without an additional contract commitment. I recommend that you make the change.

UPDATE:
I picked up two 722K's from the local dish service center (2 miles from my home) and I did the install without any problems. Dish has sent me the OTA modules at no cost and they certainly were easy to install. One thing I noticed is that both of them had in their memory channel 35-1 and 35-2, I called dish about this but they had no idea what they were so I deleted them, maybe they were used for testing the modules and didn't get erased, who knows. Also, I see there is an option to record directly to the EHD, does this work and when do you specify where to record the program to? Both my receivers are in the open and have plenty of space to dissipate heat. Neither every feels particularly warm and the HD average temp is 105. The electrical outlet the receivers are plugged into is wired correctly and properly grounded. So, now I will see how these behave as of now all is well.
M

I don't think the record direct to EHD feature is operational now. In fact, I expect you'll get a software update and that option will disappear. I hope I'm wrong.

UPDATE:
I picked up two 722K's from the local dish service center (2 miles from my home) and I did the install without any problems. Dish has sent me the OTA modules at no cost and they certainly were easy to install. One thing I noticed is that both of them had in their memory channel 35-1 and 35-2, I called dish about this but they had no idea what they were so I deleted them, maybe they were used for testing the modules and didn't get erased, who knows. Also, I see there is an option to record directly to the EHD, does this work and when do you specify where to record the program to? Both my receivers are in the open and have plenty of space to dissipate heat. Neither every feels particularly warm and the HD average temp is 105. The electrical outlet the receivers are plugged into is wired correctly and properly grounded. So, now I will see how these behave as of now all is well.
M

I will give it 2 weeks and you will likely have issues again.

Any takers?

I don't think the record direct to EHD feature is operational now. In fact, I expect you'll get a software update and that option will disappear. I hope I'm wrong.

It doesn't work. I tried it and even though the timers said it would, it didn't. I then put an EHD on my 211 which is located in my computer room. That way I can record programs the wife might not be happy with! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)