622 and DVD recorder

jkinghome

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Over the weekend, I bought the new Panasonic ES15 DVD recorder.

I plugged it into the TV1 S-video output, but all my recordings are tall and skinny - only way to fix it is by doing "stretch" format.

I also plugged it in to the composite on TV2, and seems to work pretty well.

Do other people have similar issues when attaching DVD recorders??

Also, if I am planning to keep it on TV2 output, I would need to get the remote from one room to the other to control what the DVD recorder will record. As I don't use the TV1 remote as I have a Harmony remote, is there a way that I could program the TV1 remote as a duplicate TV2 remote?

Thanks!

My DVD recorder is connected to TV2 composite out on my 942 - when in single mode (TV1 and TV2 outputs are the same) I get a squeezed image on the DVD recorder because the 942 is set to 16x9 for my TV. When I need to record, I switch to dual mode (TV1 and TV2 have separate outputs), and the picture is normal 4x3 on TV2 for the DVD burner - this works well for me (although I would prefer to use a S-video line, but the 942 doesn't have that for TV2). I thought I read that the 622 also had this mode selection option...

Press the format/* button on the remote to cycle through the different picture display ratios, pick the one you like.

There's one big advantage here.....

Widescreen material can be recorded in 16x9 Anamorphic which yields a vastly better recording (you're not wasting valuable frame space recording black bars).

For proper playback on an SDTV you'll need to copy the DVD to a PC and set the Anamorphic flag on the DVD (unless your recorder does this automatically).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3783257#post3783257

I got the very same DVD recorder (Panasonic ES15) last week while waiting for the 622 to be installed. It was installed today, and i tried the DVD-Ram disk that came with the recorder on the TV2 next to the TV that connection is hooked up to. Worked great! Quality of the recording was good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)