622 backhaul question

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
OK so I have a funny one here. My 622 has been in "single mode" since I got it. I want to hook another TV up now so I hooked up TV2 out and connected it to my cable TV backhaul. However, upon connecting it to the TV, tuning to channel 100 there is no picture, just snow. Now I thought, theoretically I could connect say 3 TVs to the cable backhaul and watch the same channel on all 3. My receiver is in dual mode now and record plus is enabled. I verified the RF modulator is on Ch 100 ... what did I miss here?

Did you change the mode?

And yes, I have a Dish Player 625 DVR in my bedroom that's connected with s-video.. it's connected to another bedroom across the hall through the TV2 RF output AND another room that's adjacent to mine is connected to the TV1 RF output. So I have 3 TVs connected to one box, 2 connected to TV1 and 1 connected to TV2. The room adjacent to mine is rarely used so it isn't a big deal that two TVs are showing the same channel.

You have to change the mode in the front panel to dual mode. Then go to Menu, 6, 1, 5 and select the channel output you want to use in TV2. Tune to that channel in TV2.

Do a channel search with the TV. My installer set the TV 2 output to 65 but my TV found it at channel 104. He didn't know why, but it works.:)

Do a channel search with the TV. My installer set the TV 2 output to 65 but my TV found it at channel 104. He didn't know why, but it works.:)
That makes no sense but I'll re-run the auto program and see what I find. Thanks!

Check your splitter!!!
The output of your 622 needs to go to the input of the splitter not an out, this has messed with me many times!!!
Oh well heck, I thought all the 5MHz-1000MHz splitters were bi-directional, this is probably the issue because my backhaul is mapped as listed below.

622 --> Master bedroom cable jack --> Splitter "A" --> Cable distribution box --> Splitter "B" --> Cable modem + Desired television.

My cable modem has a home run, so I'll use that, then re-homerun from the 622 to the TV in the basement. So hopefully a coupler will work where the splitter fails.

Thanks !

Check your splitter!!!
The output of your 622 needs to go to the input of the splitter not an out, this has messed with me many times!!!

You can use the splitters as a combiner but you need to be careful on what you're combining. I think the problem is that he's combining CATV and TV2 with the splitters. The frequencies are killing each other and I'm surprised he's not having problems with the Cable Modem. Also, if you do that you're violating FCC rules because you're feeding TV2 into the Cable system.

Just run a straight cable and see if that works.

You can use the splitters as a combiner but you need to be careful on what you're combining. I think the problem is that he's combining CATV and TV2 with the splitters. The frequencies are killing each other and I'm surprised he's not having problems with the Cable Modem. Also, if you do that you're violating FCC rules because you're feeding TV2 into the Cable system.

Just run a straight cable and see if that works.
Home run seems the only way to go.

I do not have CATV (not even basic), screw the FCC, well the Federal government in general :D

Appreciate the help everyone.

The home run was a champ, thanks for the notes on the splitter/combiner! Now that I have it down here I have redistributed it to all rooms via the coax so as I add flat panel displays I can just jack in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts