622 being installed!

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Huntington, Long Island, NY
Well, it finally arrived and it's not an empty box, but a real 622. I bought it from my retailer and I'm setting it up now. After I hook up the cables and power it up, I'll need to head back to the office, so I can't play with it now or answer any of your questions. But I'll be back tonight with more info.

Well after I got home from work today I cooked a heart shaped meatloaf and pink mashed potatoes for our annual Valentine's Day dinner, so I haven't had a long time to play with my new toy. For the most part with the exception of the added channels, it acts and feels like my 942. Two minor bugs to report. First, there is no local guide data for WCBS-DT OTA. This is better than with my 942 which was also missing the guide data for WWOR-DT. Also I get WCBS-DT off satellite on 6301 and 9483, so I can set up timers for this channel, so this bug really doesn't affect me, but if the guide data is missing for me on one channel, it's likely others will have the same problem and they might not be as fortunate as me, by also getting the channel off satellite.

Second, my HD satellite locals don't map down like they are supposed to, only my SD satellite locals maps down, even though I checked off the proper box (HD Priority) in the local channel setup menu. I called earlier to have the CSR write up a ticket for engineering.

It's great to have an s-video port again. Sure the composite video works well, but not if you also have to split that signal. Having the extra port meant that splitting was no longer needed for me. Well that's all I've got to report for now. I'll get more out to you when I have more time.

Last edited:
There have been some posts that suggest a few key features of the 942 may not be present in the 622. I'd really appreciate it if you could check these.

Specifically, with the 942, when viewing an SD or HD channel via component or HDMI and outputting 720 or 1080, there are 5 stretch modes available--Normal, Stretch, Partial Zoom, Full Zoom, and Gray. Are these stretch modes still operational in the 622?

Thanks very much.

Jerry G said:
Specifically, with the 942, when viewing an SD or HD channel via component or HDMI and outputting 720 or 1080, there are 5 stretch modes available--Normal, Stretch, Partial Zoom, Full Zoom, and Gray. Are these stretch modes still operational in the 622?

Thanks very much.
Working fine for me. :) You can not stretch out the VOD movies but I think this is done so it keeps people from recording the movies to their VCR's as strteching out the screen would disable the macrovision. :D

My Question for the 622 is "How noisy is it"? My 921 is way too noisy for a bedroom. So, I am wondering about the 622 noise.

oldbob said:
My Question for the 622 is "How noisy is it"? My 921 is way too noisy for a bedroom. So, I am wondering about the 622 noise.

When I first turned it on I couldn't believe how noisy it was. There is a variable speed fan that spins at a very high speed whenever it reboots. Then after it turns on, the fan spins down to a normal quiet mode. Once running I don't hear a thing, but mine is behind a glass door in a cabinet. I've left the glass door open to see if I could notice any noise and unless I'm within a foot or two of it, I don't hear it at all. But when I get right next to it I can hear hear it, but it is the quietest of all my DVR's. I also have a 942, 625 and 508.

Thanks, the 921 is the noisiest box that I have ever had. Makes far more noise than any of my PCs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts