622 Failure & overall irritation

SolApathy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Well I've been a dish customer for some time now. I have 2 622's & a 211. Once before I had a 622 replaced due to a bad HDD, they then replaced it with another refurbished unit that failed within 3 weeks (fan bearings were going out-it was a horrible sound).

Here I am again, out of contract for some time, no balance on my account due, and stuck here with yet another 622 failure. The unit powers up, white vertical line in the middle of the screen, searches a sec for satellites, and then the screen goes black & the TV1 green light flickers really fast for about 20 seconds & the entire unit shuts down.

I am just frustrated to no end. I love dish, but this is getting to the point where I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I hate calling them up. I feel like it's pulling teeth, not to mention I am out of a box until sometime next week, I lose all of my saved programming...again (I can't archive it since the box is possessed)

I would love to try the new Beta 922 program, but I have no idea how to get into that & quite frankly I know they will just tell me they are sending another 622. At this point I am seriously considering jumping ship & moving on to someone else. I'm just trying to figure out if that is what I want to do. I could deal with intermittent failures if I was dealing with a beta, because you expect problems...This box has been out for years though & I truly hate the interface & overall quality of the device.

I am not looking for consolation, rants, or flames. I am just trying to determine my best strategy. I hate calling Dish. Like I said, I equate it to pulling teeth out of a live piranha.

I am just frustrated to no end. I love dish, but this is getting to the point where I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I hate calling them up. I feel like it's pulling teeth, not to mention I am out of a box until sometime next week, I lose all of my saved programming...again (I can't archive it since the box is possessed)

I have never had a problem with Dish when I call Tech support with receiver troubles. Add DHPP and get it replaced no charge. I've had a 722 and a 622 replaced. It happens. Life continues. Next one, make sure it is in a well ventilated area if not already.

I have had success with using the on line chat. Explain to them that this is the second time in a short period that a 622 has failed. See if they will give you a 722 instead. Can't hurt to try this approach.

Well it was an interesting process. but in the end I spoke with the executive department & they have agreed to send me 2 refurbed 622's & when the 922's finally hit the shelves I can call them directly & they will upgrade me for free.

Still have no idea when they will release these boxes though. No one seems to have any idea

Wow, first I've heard of this kind of response. I bet they are expecting two 622s to be returned in the near future or you will be charged for a box.

If you don't need the "sling box" addition then you won't need the 922 so don't even worry about this.

Like said earlier add the DHAA for the warranty for 5$ and just replace it then through them..no big deal, hell go up to a 722 if you can but I've had a 622 for a few years now and its worked fine as long as it can breath.

Also check your power, I've seen many times here lately that a few models including the 622 are touchy when power isn't right as in both prongs getting voltage or voltage coming in on the ground. A meter can tell this very quickly and be sure to use a power conditioner they might cost around 100$ but well worth it for all your components including that very expensive receiver that is breaking.

They are sending me 2 because the other one was having intermittent issues with playing back recordings. You could record something, but on several occasions you could not play it back. It would let you go into the playback screen, but all the buttons were blank as well as the description.

The only way to get out of the screen was to reboot the device. They offered to replace it at the same time & offer me 2 922's when they were available.

I am interested in the Sling technology so it would be a nice upgrade...

I'm not really interested in the DHAA warranty. I think it's a joke & just another scam to get money out of you. I mean really. I'm leasing the equipment from you, paying a monthly fee for it's usage, and I have to pay for an additional warranty in case the equipment you lease to me breaks due to an internal hardware issue so I can get a "discounted" replacement" ?...Nah no thanks.

I have no contract obligations (have been out of contract over a year now) so if they want me to stay they will treat me fairly or' I'll leave & take the $130 I pay every month somewhere else. I pay my bill on time, not to mention I've been with them since they came out with the 6000 model... I'm not messing around with them.

Unfortunately Dish doesn't fully vet these receivers when they come back. They hook them up and if the system deems them working then they are repackaged and sent back out. I've actually taped index cards to receivers on occassion explaining the problem because sometimes the problem doesn't happen for a day or two and if they only have it tested for and hour or so then they aren't going to discover it.

Refurbished 622s

The latest instruction from Dish is that you have to provide a 622 when the work order states such. The IVR will not enable a 722 in its place. However, you can replace a 622 w/ a 722 on a trouble call. This is one way around the problem. I would estimate that 1 out of 3 I install fail within the first week. These are the only ones I know about. I have gone on trouble calls and found dead 622s (usually HDD or continuous resets) and the customer would tell me it is their 3rd or 4th unit.

Every one we are getting in our stock is refurbished. Seems like there should be a flag of some sort if this many are failing.

I find it hard to beleive that they are going to upgrade you to two 922 receivers for no charge? These are going to be quite expensive when they do arrive. I hope they do upgrade you for no charge, but I would be VERY surprised. :)

I've been with them a very long time, have not been under contract for several years & my previous issues have been legitimate & avoidable by dish. Their documented failures have led to this compromise.

The issues:

6000 model- During installation a technician left a cigarette (w/o my permission to smoke-especially considering I am a non-smoker & would never allow it in my house) sitting on my solid oak entertainment center. It apparently (according to the investigation) caught the fabric grill of my center channel speaker on fire & ignighted the entire entertainment center.

It caused considerable damage to the entertainment center, as well as smoke damage. At that point I was provided free service, the repairs were paid for & they made an exception & allowed 5 receivers on my account.

Several years later I moved. During the install the tech did not properly secure the dish (did not concrete it in) and I kept losing my SAT fix. It took them 4 separate attempts to finally get someone out. By then I had already resolved the issue myself. I complained to the BBB & I was contacted by dish to resolve the matter.

All was well up until this issue, which put me to the brink of just canceling. The Executive department offered a compromise. (2) 922 replacements as soon as they become available.

and you better bet on me taking pics the second they arrive!

I don't know if it's the 622, or the whole family, but I've been through 3 622 receivers, two of which were within the past 3 weeks. The first one just failed about 9 months ago and got a replacement. This one the HD failed on it about 3 weeks ago. They sent a reman. That one failed within 3 days with constant reboots.

The last one has been going for about 6 days and seems to be in it for the long run... though with a 622, I don't think a long run is all that long.

I still have my original 501 running, never been serviced and seems to be doing just fine (knock on wood).

Note that whatever someone at dish, even executives say, doesn't mean really much until they deliver. As many have experienced, when you don't like what one person says, you can often find a dish person that will say what you like. Of course the inverse of that exists as well, which means you can often find you never can find the person that tells you want you want after the one time you talked with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)