622 + Heat = Problems !?

ggw2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Out here somewhere
Just going to throw out some thoughts on the 622 and it's possible dislike for running in a "warm" environment.
Received my 622 about a week ago but didn't have a scheduled install until today. I already have a 921, 211 and HD Platinum so really didn't need the install.
I was beginning to have some real issues with my 921 HDD and pixelation issues on recorded programs. One night last week they were so bad we couldn't even watch the shows:( . Finally said the h*ll with this and ripped the 921 out and put the 622 in it's place and called and got it activated.
First off let me say if you have a 921 the 622 is more than worth the upgrade! The 921 is a Model "A" ford compared to the 622. Fast-great GUI- a real joy.

Now back on topic, the 921 was installed in a 20" wide tower unit that has all my electronics installed. The tower has a glass door on it to match the other tower on the other side of my SXRD that contains pictures and other "wife" type things:D . I wasn't sure whether I was going to leave the 622 in the tower or move it to below my TV where it would get "free" air. But I had to think about that some since it requires tearing everything apart and moving the TV out from between the towers.
What I did do for the first couple of days is leave the glass door off so that it was exposed to more air (the 622 has 2" of space on each side and about 5" of space above it). I checked the average temperature in the counters area of the menus and it was running at 105 degrees. During this time frame it never missed a heart beat and ran flawlessly. I then put the glass door on and checked the average temp a few times over the course of that day. It had risen to 109 degrees. I thought maybe I was ok until all of a sudden the TV screen went blank :confused: . The unit shutdown and restarted.
I immediately opened the glass door and took it off again. The 622 has run again without any problems for the past 3 days. I'm off this friday and quess what i'm going to be doing- moving the 622 to "free" space where it can get all the air it wants.
Sorry this was long winded but my point is that the 622 maybe temp sensitive and if you are having problems it maybe running to hot.
Super unit tho and I hope it stays that way.
Gerry

Sounds exactly like stories I've heard about people who have put A/V receivers inside of glass-door cabinets. The old 6000 receiver had some problems with this too.

The problem is that the air coming into the unit has already been heated, by itself and other components.

It might work with the glass doors closed if the back of the cabinet is open.

Users should be warned NEVER put this or any other DVR/tuner or heat generating electronic device in an enclosed space - it is suicide.

Last Thanksgiving we were at my brother-in-laws house. He had a new IDLA HDTV and a cable DVR. He had put it in a closed glass cabinet , and started having lock up problems. When I opened the cabinet it must have been 150 degrees in there. The unit was almost too hot to touch. Needless to say, we moved it to an open area and the problems ceased.

I am a computer tech for a university, and I've seen faculty ruin new PC's by putting them in fancy desk enclosures with no ventilation.

I had the same problem last year with my 942 and it was sitting totally inthe open with nothing on any side. I solved the problem by putting a 1/4 inch spacer under each rubber foot to raise the hight and allow more air. Problem never returned.

The cheapst solution is to put a quarter inch spacer under each of the feet to improve airflow. I did this with both my 942 and now my 622 and never had a problem

I gotta think this is a matter of more is better - more spacing, more clearance, more cfm, etc. Now if we can only find one that blows cold (i.e., conditioned) air...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts