622 & optical cable ?

gary s

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 9, 2003
Southern Cal
I have posted previously that I got a new 622 receiver hooked up to an HD LCD tv with both HDMI and component connections as backup. I do not have surround sound in this setup.

I do however have a 5.1 surround sound home theater/DVD setup in another room with a 721 and an SD tv.

I would like to run about a 100' optical cable from the 622 to my surround sound system just to be able to listen to 5.1 Dolby Digital music programs, such as those on RAVE.

My questions are:

Would the optical audio out from the 622 be live or working at all times when hooked up to my surround sound system in the other room even though the HDMI and component with RCA audio connections would be hooked up to the HDTV in the room where the 622 is? I realize I would have to hook up either the 721 or 622 optical cable to my surround sound system depending on which I wanted to listen to.

Actually, I guess what I want to know is will the HDMI audio or component audio connections and the optical audio connection work at the same time?

With a 100' run of optical cable is it possible the sound would not be so good? Lots of signal loss because of the length?

And now for the really stupid question, the type of optical connection on the 622 is called TOSLINK, isn't it?

It has Toslink, and it and other sound connections are always on, as to 100' of Toslink, I have no clue if it would work or not.

No way the audio is going to sync up between the two receivers. I have my 942 and the 622 within ear shot of each other and the audio is an echo between each other. The 211 in the living room also echos the tv in the kitchen. Each receiver processes the audio different.

No way the audio is going to sync up between the two receivers. I have my 942 and the 622 within ear shot of each other and the audio is an echo between each other. The 211 in the living room also echos the tv in the kitchen. Each receiver processes the audio different.

My plan was to hook up the optical audio cable from the 622 to my surround sound system in the other end of the house (out of earshot of each other) mainly to just listen to RAVE programming in 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, without video. I wouldn't have to worry about anything being in sync for that, would I?

But gdarwin's post brings an interesting, to me anyway, question to mind. Does the video from the L.A. SD and HD locals sync up or show everything at the exact same moment? And if so, would I be able to watch the L.A. SD networks on the tv with the 721 hooked up to it and listen to the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound output of my surround sound system in the same room through the 100' optical cable coming from the 622 in the other end of the house if the 622 is on the corresponding HD channel? Say, for instance, I was watching the ABC SD programming from my 721 on my SD tv and listening to the ABC HD Dolby Digital output from the 622 a hundred feet or so away. Perhaps this is where a video and audio sync problem would show up because of the long 100' optical cable run.

Thanks for both replies!

"...Does the video from the L.A. SD and HD locals sync up or show everything at the exact same moment?..."

No.

HD package

Info on Dish Networks New Adult Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)