622 OTA, is this possible??

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Is it possible that my 622 could have a problem trying to pick up one certain OTA channel? I can receive all of the locals in my area just fine except my local FOX. According to other sources, they are putting out just as strong a signal as the other locals in my area, but the signal meter on my 622 shows no signal at all from FOX.

I'm beginning to think the problem lies in my 622. Before I upgraded receivers, I could get a weak, but eratic signal on my old 811. Since then, my local FOX has strengthened their signal, but I show nothing on my 622. Any suggestions.

Hmm, do you have an HD TV or only a monitor? If you have a tuner in the TV you could try to bypass the 622 and check out the signal. What type of antenna do you have? Can you try a different one?

My TV is HD monitor only. I have tried the analog signal direct to the TV and it comes in very good. I don't know the model number on the antenna, but it's a large outdoor antenna from Radio Shack, and I'm also using a pre-amp.

I would think if the signal was weak, I should at least show some signal on the signal meter, even if it was very low (20-30). But it shows nothing at all.

I had a similar problem with my TV's built-in ATSC tuner. Turned out, it was related to bad PSIP data. I removed the problem channel, then re-scanned and picked it up. Could be related to that...

My 622 had problems originally and found I got more locals by manually adding them as opposed to scanning. I did get most of the channels on by scanning but had to run it three times for it to get any locals when I first hooked it up.

You might also have a problem with too strong a signal that is overloading the tuner, or multipath! For the former you might want to try an attenuator in the OTA antenna line just to check. Easy enough - you could simply use that 10dB attenuator that came with the 622, tho' that value might not be optimal. Rat Shack sells a variable attenuator for about $12, IIRC. For multipath, you might have some luck by repointing the antenna a bit.

IMHO, one can't necessarily go by the signal strength meter in the 622; I don't believe it most of the time for OTA. For instance, I get a "strong" signal for one PBS channel per the meter, but a lot of pixelation vs. the TV's tuner that pulls that same channel in rock solid. And for a couple of other digital channels that I once received intermittently, the 622's meter shows zero, then it jumps to 50+, then back to zero, etc. It is never over 50 long enough to lock. I know the signal is weak and variable, but not by that much. YMMV...!

The ViP622 receives ATSC (digital) stations only. It cannot receive NTSC (analog) stations like the 942 and others did.

I assume the Fox channel you are trying to get is the digital one.

Yes, the fox channel is digital. I don't think my signal is too strong, because they have about the same output power as two of my other locals, and they work just fine (between 88-94%).

Could someone explain what is an attenuator?

And as for turning my antenna, I've slowly turned it in every direction. Still no signal at all.

smokey982 said:
Yes, the fox channel is digital. I don't think my signal is too strong, because they have about the same output power as two of my other locals, and they work just fine (between 88-94%).

Could someone explain what is an attenuator?

And as for turning my antenna, I've slowly turned it in every direction. Still no signal at all.

an attentuator reduces the level of the incoming signal. for instance, if you have a 50 db signal coming from your antenna and put a 10 db attenuator, it will reduce the signal to 40 db.

The possible need for attenuation is important to consider as in some cases the problems folks are having are due to the signals being too strong and overloading their preamps and/or tuner inputs. Folks often blindly make things worse by adding additional amplification thinking the problem is a weak signal, thus moving in the wrong direction! And a signal you're trying to receive that's at a reasonable level can also be negatively affected by another strong channel in the same band that's overloading the system.

In the old analog system you could at least see something on your set and make adjustments while watching for improvement. Multipath is clearly identified as multiple images and overloads and other interference could be dealt with in steps. Unfortunately in the digital world it's all or nothing, on the screen and in the signal strength "meters" in most receivers. It's very difficult to "see" what you're doing unless you have other instruments to give you a real indication of the situation, and most of us do not. So the trial and error continues. Just make sure you try everything that might help!

Last edited:
If your feeding the 622's distribution output back into your house's feed, make sure the 622 modulators are not on the same or adjacent channel as the station's actual ATSC channel.

The 622 I have seems to pick up locals as well as my TV, the 211 however gets a few less which seems odd to me, but they're duplicated channels so I'm not picky.

The digital channel they broadcast is generally not as strong as the analog signal they send. Make sure to check antenna web for location/distance/etc and you're pointed in the right direction for them if that doesn't help the only other solution I can think of would be to get a signal booster to pick up the signal or a larger antenna.

I optted for a larger antenna pointed in a different direction which helped me pick up more channels. I pointed it away from my strongest signals so I could pick up the weaker ones. My strong signals would be 98-100 on the 622 if i reversed the antenna. Right now i get 78-85 pointed in the other direction as well as several others I originally wasn't getting in the 70's.

I checked antenna web, and it's not very accurate for my area. It only shows 2 digital channels in my area, but actually, all of the locals in my area are putting out a digital signal. It has been that way for some time now.

How often do they update their website?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)