622 : Recording Playback Blocking (Picture)

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Anyone experience this with playback of their recorded material?

Everyhting I record plays back and at some point blocks up the screen then pauses then continues.

Is this a know problem? Is there something wrong with the hard drive?

Thanks

Macro Blocking

Unfortunately this is becoming a very common occurance. I do not see much of it with HD material.

It seems to be more of a problem with standard definition programs, especially those with any movement, i.e. autoracing, basketball.

From what I understand (I am not a techie) it is caused by low resolution and low bitrate.

This began about a year ago and continues to get worse as Dish looks for ways to jam more programming onto their satellites.:mad:

Everyhting I record plays back and at some point blocks up the screen then pauses then continues.

Thanks

Depends - if you watch the same show live, is it OK? If it is bad when live, then not necessarily a Hard Drive problem. Could be many things; bad switch, dish mis-alignment, connections, etc. If the live show is OK, but the playback is bad, I'd call Dish & get a replacement 622, cause it has to be something in the processing of the recorded show off of the Hard Drive.

For what it's worth, my 622 shows none of these problems; live or recorded, HD or SD.

Thanks

Sounds like a momentary drop/loss of signal on the channel. Is it brief, like a second or two?

I've had this issue on and off for a while now. Sometimes I've assumed it had to do w/ playback while its recording another event, because it's often unrepeatable upon rewind and I'm often watching the trail of a simultaneously recording show. It's also quite intermittent, which is befuddling, as I haven't been able to reliably predict it...but it happens.

I will say it presented itself shortly after one of the software updates. That's why I quietly 'lived w/ it'...hoping it would be resolved/fixed by a subsequent update. And, fortunately, I haven't noticed it as much lately, after the most recent software update.

Last edited:
During playback or pause not signal loss

I have checked, almost always when I record or pause a show (working off of the hard drive) it shoots greenish blocks across the screen.

Has to be hard drive related because it does not happen on live events.

isn't every thing off of the hard drive ... including 'live'?

... I thought what you are watching 'live' was written to the drive , and what you see is a stream from the drive?

So, if that is true (not certain) then problems during 'live' watching wouldn't necessarily rule out drive related issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts