622 reports Ethernet not connected

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
Maybe I'm off base here, but I thought in the past when your receiver was connected to Ethernet it said "connected".

I have two 622's. Both are wired to home network, and both are receiving IP addresses and responding to pings. However, the status on the broadband menu says "not connected" for both.

Both receivers are running v511.

Thanks

Yes, several times on both receivers. Even rebooting the 622 did not help. What also seemed strange is when you do the "reset connection" it seemed to take much longer than it used to.

I was just going to post this same issue today. Last night I was going to browse some of the dish online material and got the message i needed to be connected to the internet. I tried the reset option, then I tried a hard reboot on the rcvr, then I rebooted my router and modem all to no avail. I know it was working a couple of weeks ago, perhaps this was a result of 5.11.

I was just going to post this same issue today. Last night I was going to browse some of the dish online material and got the message i needed to be connected to the internet. I tried the reset option, then I tried a hard reboot on the rcvr, then I rebooted my router and modem all to no avail. I know it was working a couple of weeks ago, perhaps this was a result of 5.11.

Let me "third" this...noticed the exact same thing last night with my 722...I even use my homeplug for a laptop as well so it certainly seems to be a problem originating from the receiver...perhaps this is widespread?

Can you log into your router and check the DHCP listings and see if the 622 has leased the IP address? Also check to see if the LEDs are lit on the ethernet port on the router or switch that your 622 is connected to.

Can you log into your router and check the DHCP listings and see if the 622 has leased the IP address? Also check to see if the LEDs are lit on the ethernet port on the router or switch that your 622 is connected to.

Yes, double checked the MAC address and the 622 is leasing the x.x.x.100 address. I also verified the light with the corresponding port on the router (hard wired with cat5e). No changes to router or anything else that should have caused ceased communication between the router and 622. Everything else is working correctly (WII, PS3, 3 computers). They are all connected with a mix of hard-wire and wireless.

HMMMMM, just went to check it out and now it's working fine. It showed connected online and I hit "reset" just to make sure and it worked fine.

May have to check mine when I get back home then...perhaps an odd ovenight glitch?

Yeah, first time I've had any problem with the ethernet connection (though I don't always know if it's not connected since I don't use it all the time).

Perhaps whatever server it calls home to every few minutes was unreachable for some reason. That would be easy/lazy way to check for connectivity and report error message if not working.

OP here.

16 hours later, and both 622's report they are connected online. I had initially tested them right after a power outage, so maybe there is a delay between when
the Ethernet connects and the 511 software reports it.

I'll add it to the list of things I don't understand!

Stumped

I too have been experiencing the "You must remain connected" message even though my 622 is still hooked to my Netgear router. Nothing has changed hookup wise. I haven't changed any settings on the router or my 622. What is irritating is that the connection issue is random. Sometimes it will say connected, others it will say not connected. Even more puzzling is that my IP address, DNS address, MAC address....they are always showing up even when network setup says not connected. None of my other devices are losing connection. I've tried both soft and hard resets. I've played with resetting the connection in the network setup section, and it's also odd....sometimes when the network setup shows connected, a reset renders the not connected message, but IP, DNS, MAC, etc all show up. The router sees the 622, even when the 622 says no connection. This has to be something with the latest firmware, because I never had this problem before.:confused:

I still find it odd that the 622 says it wasn't connected yet it talked to other machines on my network. I don't claim to be an IP expert, nor play one on TV, but here's generally what happens.

The device needing an address puts out a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) request, sending a frame from it's MAC (unique Ethernet hardware address) to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF (broadcast/everybody) with an IP of 0.0.0.0 (I don't have one yet) to 255.255.255.255 (IP broadcast). If a DHCP server hears the request, it then offers to lease an IP address to the device. The device responds "yes" and the DHCP server acknowledges. The device now has an IP, a subnet mask (used when comparing the destination IP address to determine if it is local or not), a DNS (to resolve URL's to IP's) address, the network's gateway address (to get from the local Ethernet LAN to Internet), and the length of time of the lease. There is usually no further communication between the device and the DCHP server until halfway through the lease when the device begins to request to renew the lease. If at any time the device reboots, if the lease is still valid it will do a "gratuituous ARP", in essence, to ask if anyone is using the IP it thinks it has. If there is no response it is happy and continues to use the IP address.

I'm not sure if Dish Network follows the protocol rules or does a DHCP renewal request after every reboot. It's hard to tell because most DHCP servers will give the device the same address it already had if it hasn't been reissued to anyone else.

If a device loses physical network connectivity, Mr. DHCP server still maintains a lease for that device. This is the point missed by many folks troubleshooting connectivity problems.

A good way to test if your receiver is "OK" is (for Windows machines) Start / Run / type in the three letters: CMD . In the command window type in PING X.X.X.X (the address your receiver thinks it has. To reconcile MAC and IP addresses, just type in the command ARP -a within 2 minutes or so of the PING. If you suspect DHCP server problems, go to a machine you can do without and type: IPCONFIG / ALL you can then type IPCONFIG / RELEASE followed by: IPCONFIG / RENEW . If you get a renewal, then Mr. DHCP is fine. If you don't get a renewal, you know your DHCP is not working and can "thank" me for prematurely losing connectivity before your PC's lease expired.

I put this out as a starter. Please feel free to correct/clarify anything I've just described -- I'm guessing we can't know too much about IP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)