622VIP, and OTA question

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
Ok, I am new at this, so be patient. I live in the Dallas area where I can get my locals in HD. What is this OTA thing that so many people are talking about? Does it even mean anything to me since I can get my locals in HD through Dish? I am not a subscriber to Dish yet, but will be soon.

Thanks for the info!!!!

OTA = "Over the Air" reception of the Digital Broadcasts of your local network channels via a TV Antenna (...just like in the old days....). The Vip622 has an input for the antenna, and a built-in High-Def tuner for the OTA digital transmissions so that you can watch either the Satellite HD Locals or the OTA HD Locals.

Strictly speaking, if Dish is providing your High-Def Locals, you don't have to have to use the OTA tuner, but there are benefits to using them in addition to the Satellite locals. For one thing, you can record three High-Def Network shows at once - e.g., NBC and ABC from the 2 Satellite Tuners, and CBS from the OTA tuner.

Also, in general, the OTA HD locals will have better picture quality than the Satellite HD locals....

Agree with Cold Irons with a few additions:

Unlike the OTA tuners in most other E* receivers, the tuner in the 622 is digital only, so don't even try picking-up any channels that are still analog. The 622's tuner will receive all digital OTA channels including HD. That also gives you the opportunity to receive additional subchannels that are not transmitted local-into-local from E*. Agreed that the OTA PQ is often superior to that received LiL from E* (and D* too for that matter), but that can vary depending on how much of the OTA channel bandwidth the broadcaster is allocating to the HD signal. (More subchannels b'cast at the same time = lower PQ on some or all.)

You can use the same antennas for digital OTA signals that you used for traditional analog b'casts, but the frequency that the channel uses for its digital signal(s) is often quite different than what they used for the analog signal. Most digital signals are in the UHF band. Check www.antennaweb.org to see what digital channels are available to you and plan to add an OTA capability accordingly!

Last edited:
Your signal may be much stronger in Texas vs Minnesota but I use the OTA input to watch my locals when the thunderstorms get rumbling and the dreaded "rain fade" happens to my dish.

I have also used it when on the rare occasion that my TV1 and TV2 tuners are being used for recording on the DVR. The OTA can tune the locals independantly of the SAT.