625 Problems

nastyj

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Here is the history:
I had my 625 installed by Dish guys a year ago. I also have an additional single mode receiver in a spare bedroom. I have never had problems with my stuff untill yesterday. I had to paint the wall where the main TV is located and the 625 receiver. I simply disconnected the coax from the wall and the power cord so I could slide the units away to paint the wall.

Once painting was completed, I firmly connected the cable back to the wall and powered the unit back up and I kept getting the (015 aquiring signal). I called the Dish 1-888 number and went through the automated steps, which had me hold the power button down for 10 seconds to reset the unit. This did not fix the issue and I got a person on the line that had me run the Check Switch Test. The test failed, saying that one of the connections were bad and service would be adversly affected.

I then pulled out the receiver and made sure all connections on the spliter and switch were nice and firm. I re-run the test and continue to get the same failure message.

What is even worse is now when I go to the system info screen it doesnt show twin or anything regarding my LNB. Dish says it will be Thursday before someone can come out to take a look at it. Does anyone here have any ideas?? I am a Sat. newb but I am a computer guy so I can follow steps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would guess you mangled the F connector center pin on the cable at the wall. Unscrew it and examine it for integrity, and replace the cable if necessary.

Once you've done a check switch that failed, your receiver's switch matrix will be cleared. That is why it shows no twin or anything. Don't panic. A new check switch (once the cable is fixed) will restore it to it's former state.

Thank you very much!! Should I cut off the end and re-crimp a new connector on?

That would work instead of buying another cable. Did you verify that the center pin was the problem?

First thought, make sure you dont have the cable going to your 2nd tv of the 625, on the Sat In port. You should be able to tell if you don't have a picture (dish logo screen) on the 2nd tv.
Messed up pin is possible also, remember to unplug the receiver before you crimp another connector on the cable.

If you re-crimp another connector, make sure no braids are touching that center conductor. You want the white stuff to be nice and clean. Also, don't nick the center conductor.

First thought, make sure you dont have the cable going to your 2nd tv of the 625, on the Sat In port. You should be able to tell if you don't have a picture (dish logo screen) on the 2nd tv.
Messed up pin is possible also, remember to unplug the receiver before you crimp another connector on the cable.

All of the cables were never moved, so they are all the same way it was when the installer installed the system....only cable I disconnected was the one directly to the wall, and I only unscrewed that from the wall itself.

I do get the acciquiring signal screen on both TV's connected to the 625. I get no screen at all on the single mode receiver that I have in a different room.

Thanks for the help

If that center pin (actually the center conductor of the coax) is contacting the shield, then it's shorting out your receivers. They power your LNBs (or switches), but cannot do so if there is a short anywhere in the cable. This would affect all receivers connected to the same switch (or LNB). I hope your receivers survived this rough treatment!

Are you sure you didn't paint over the barrel connector in the wall plate? Did you remove the wall plate when you painted? Did you remember to reconnect the coax behind the wall plate before you reinstalled it?

Thanks for everyones help and advise...when I went home last night I decided to blow air into the end of the connector to make sure no debris was in there, reconnected it to the wall, ran the check switch and.....viola!!

I didnt even have to put a new connector on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)