7 1/2 hour install and still nothing

tracy48616

Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
MI
I'm mentally exhausted from yesterday, I woke this morning and started doing some research online and found this site.... perfect place for me to get this all out I think. It's a long story and I'll try to sumerize as best I can, I'm just hesitant to go ahead with the hook up now. Here goes....
On Monday June 29th, I made my third call to my telephone company who bundled my phone, interet and hooked me up with Dishnetwork. The reason I called them 3 times was to triple check prices and package details. I got the same answers to my questions each time. This is a good thing, they know what they are doing and no surprises on my end. She set me up with appointment on Thursday, between noon and 5pm. Nobody showed so at 5:18 I called to see where the installer is. After about 10 minutes they tell me the appoint was for Thursday, but the following one, July 9th. I tell them when someone tells me Thursday on a Monday, it means the one coming up, not a week from then, so they give me a pushed up day...July 4th, between 8am and noon. So fine, I can get hooked up and have some holiday time later in the day. The installer called and said he would be late, fine he got here at 1pm. He took my old dish off the roof, cut my old wires, ran new ones and put up 2 dishes on my roof. Things look fine. Its now almost 2:30 and he is carrying in the receivers, I notice 2 different boxes and tell me I"m supposed to be getting 2 identical receivers that run 4 rooms. I ordered to have HD in all 4 rooms and DVR in the 2 rooms that had the receivers. (come to find out you cant even do the hook up that way unless you have 4 receivers) He called his dispatch because he was going off his order form and that is what he brought. Dispatch puts me through to Dish operator who tells me I didn't order what I ordered and now wanted to charge me more for addition equipment. I told Dish no, I want what I ordered at no charge or they could get their dishes off my roof and send a contracter to fix the 8 holes I now had. This was a 3 way call between his dispatch, myself and dish. Dish wouldn't budge so we said we was going to hang up and get someone else who might want to save a customer. We got back through to Dish, I talked with a different lady who gave me the receivers I had wanted, at the price I wanted all free like my phone company had told me in the first place. Now place the order and the first dish lady had cancelled the whole order and they can't activate the receivers. Got ahold of a different department and they are wanted to charge me for the upgrade to the original order. I said no, it shouldn't be an upgrade, or any charges. So more time on the phone with more dish people who finally told me yes, they will leave the wrong equipment the installer brought me, and give me an upgrade within 30 days to what I had wanted, all for free, but there is no way to turn on the service without the order number from my phone company because they need to use the serial numbers off the equipment they are leaving, and an order number so who ever sold the bundle to me would get credit. I told me to just turn it on now so I wouldn't be totally without tv for the rest of the weekend and have to wait for sometime on Monday for service, but he said there is no way to get around it. I'm still confused about that part, but I didn't sign anything when the install finally got off the phone at at 7pm and finished the install at 7:30 and left all the equipment here either. So I've got the receivers all hooked up and no service until sometime Monday. Now that all of this is sinking in, I"m nervous about additional charges, like up grade charges or additional monthly charges and nobody but my installer told me I had to have a phone line hooked to all of them or it would be another $5 per receiver on my bill. I only have one phone jack in the entire house and its in the dining room where no receivers are being installed. How do I make sure I'm getting what I wanted, at the price I thought I was going to get? Can someone from Dish email me before I go ahead and have it turned on and activated with all of the details? I'm scared they are going to hit me with second install fee or upgrade fee or a total monthly package price of more then I thought I was getting into. I need some help.
Thanks for reading and input in appreiated.

Try the following email address and tell them of your problems and hopefully they can help you.

ceo @ echostar . com

I left blanks on purpose so they don't get spam emails.

It seems as though there were some misconceptions on your or the phone co. rep's part regarding equipment. Add to that, the phone co. rep probably knows little or nothing about Dish...working from just a cheat sheet. There is no such animal and a single/Two HD receiver. You have also put yourself at a future disadvantage by bundling, specifically special offers that often do not apply to non-direct Dish subs. Dish generally does not offer new subs two DVRs for free. A charge for a second is to be expected. I'm not saying that is etched in stone and perhaps you will get them, but it is not the norm.

Sounds to me u are getting the works and workaround. Normal 4 room is 2 recevrs that do 4 tvs at once. Now what u want is 2 612vip first free and second one normal upgrade cost of $100 (phone co and dish can wave it on a case by cass basis) your other recivers will be 2 211vip that will incure no up grade cost. Normal orders throgh dish for all that will give you hddvr advantage that will run the first 612 at the cost of your pkg then you will recive a $7 charge for the extra 3 hd recivers and if your not getting the everything pkg then you will have a $5.98 dvr charge for the second 612 reciver.

But your pricing culd be less as your going through a thrid party the phone co. Still cheaper then time warner in LA who is the home of free hd and only charge $20 rental for every hd tv you want ($15 reciver $5 remote) or direct that will charge you $200 for a second hddvr and $99 each hd tv just to get you started and billing will be $10 higher then dish a month.

Good luck and stck to your guns you will be getting the best tv service in the industry.

Well I can pretty much tell you that your phone rep screwed up.

There is no way that Dish will give you the equipment you want for free, and at the price the phone company quoted you.

Here is the problem. Dish gives you 4 rooms worth of equipment on a new install. If you wanted HD and DVR you would get a Dual tuner HD DVR that gives you HD DVR on 1 TV and standard def(SD) DVR on the 2nd tv. The other receiver would give you HD on 1 tv and SD on the 2nd tv. This is Dishes normal setup for a 4 room HD DVR install. If you want HD DVR on 2 Tv's and HD on another 2 TV's you are going to incure an upgrade fee to get that equipment.

Also your quoted price will be different because now insted of only being charged one DVR fee and one extra receiver fee, you would be charged 2 DVR fee's (depending on what program package you ordered this may not apply) and 3 extra receiver fee's. Again this is because your phone company reps FLAT OUT LIED to you to get you to say yes. Look back at any of these kinds of threads you will find this to be the case.

Atleast with Dish you have an option to go with what they offer for free or upgrade to the other equipment for a $100 and more a month. With Direct you would be paying $400 upfront to get what you want and more a month for the service.

Again this is not Dishes screw up. The phone company is who you should be upset with.

I don't know if you've had the install done correctly yet, and I don't know much about billing because I'm just an installer, but what you're looking for is 2-612 receivers and 2-211 receivers. That gets you what you want because the 612 is an HD-DVR and the 211 is plain HD. The problem is that the 612 is a dual-tuner receiver made for single-TV use and I'm not sure if they're still leasing it out as 1 or 2 tuners, but they usually only lease 4-5 tuners total. Unless you have worked out something different, you can subscribe to DVR Advantage which gets you a programming package and covers the first DVR cost. After that you may have another DVR cost of $5.98 a month and $7 for each additional HD receiver. Hooking a phone line up to a single-tuner receiver will not save you any money except on costs ordering PPV since phone line connectivity incentive only applies to dual-tuner receivers. Sorry you had to go through all that, and I understand how you and the installer feel. Hope you get it worked out.

poor, poor installer.
Yep , that's the shity part. The customer is pissed off at the tech (only because of proximity) and th tech is stuck in the middle of adminstrative nightmares.
The sales partners escape responsibility fo rtheir errors or negligence.
The customers don't care and they should not have to be concerned. The customer wants their tv connected.
The techs have to endure this nonsense. In some instances for hours at a time.
The system sucks.
Sales partners should have their feet held to the fire.
I look at my job this way: to perform the services assigned and attempt to clearly demonstrate the basic functions of the equipment while answering operational questions pertaining to the equipment.
My job is NOT to resell the product or to cover the mistakes/ negligence of third parties.

I tried to read your post but after the first few lines all I saw was blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Try breaking it into paragraphs next time.

Yep , that's the shity part. The customer is pissed off at the tech (only because of proximity) and th tech is stuck in the middle of adminstrative nightmares.
The sales partners escape responsibility fo rtheir errors or negligence.
The customers don't care and they should not have to be concerned. The customer wants their tv connected.
The techs have to endure this nonsense. In some instances for hours at a time.
The system sucks.
Sales partners should have their feet held to the fire.
I look at my job this way: to perform the services assigned and attempt to clearly demonstrate the basic functions of the equipment while answering operational questions pertaining to the equipment.
My job is NOT to resell the product or to cover the mistakes/ negligence of third parties.

I feel sorry for the customer because of the sale representative making a sale, but I can relate to the tech. I think all experience techs can relate to what the tech is going through. This is too common for Directv and Dish Network sales partners to mess up, miss inform, and make outrages promises to make a sale. Who get the end of the stick, it is the tech. It is July 4th and he stuck on a job for 7 and a 1/2 hours because of a sale guy. :rant: The customer didn't sign any paperwork after over 7 hours of work, if the tech was a sub contractor, then he won't get pay for that job because of unsigned paperwork. If he was a sub, then he have to finish his pm jobs too. I wonder if he get a nice view of the sunrise? That is just one mess up day for the tech!!! Anyway, hope the tech have a happy July 4th!

The installer called and said he would be late, fine he got here at 1pm. He took my old dish off the roof, cut my old wires, ran new ones and put up 2 dishes on my roof.
I wonder if the installer has lunch yet? Sometimes tech want to finish their am jobs before heading to lunch. The tech seems to be a good tech, since he took out your old dish and ran new wires instead of using you old wiring.

yeah like some of the people said, you need two 612 receiver and two 211 receivers. Dish Network leased up to 4 turners and after 4 turners, you have to purchase the equipment. Last time I did this, the CSR count the 612 as one turner, even though it is actually a dual turner receivers. So this might work for you.

If installer would have gone over equipment thoroughly before doing install, then a good part of the headache could have been eliminated.

I do ..And sometimes it still doesn't help.
And please do not forget. We are on a limited time schedule. One job cannot take up our entire day. Customers MUST be accountable as well.
This is THEIR purchase. Only a fool spends their money without knowing what they purchased.
Hand holding is not part of the job.
It's a balance.
Perorming the job and customer service. One cannot take precedence over the other, If it did, the entire system would break down and nothing would get done.

Time to let this thread die a peaceful death, boys. The "one post wonder'" OP obviously signed up just to rant and has not seen fit to grace us with his/her presence since.

Time to let this thread die a peaceful death, boys. The "one post wonder'" OP obviously signed up just to rant and has not seen fit to grace us with his/her presence since.

Good, 'cause I can't imagine how long his update thread would be. Like someone else said earlier (which I good laugh at): blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Good, 'cause I can't imagine how long his update thread would be. Like someone else said earlier (which I good laugh at): blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

That's equally annoying.:rolleyes:

the first mistake was ordering through the phone company
:)
not your fault, i wouldnt expect you to know that, but it happens quite often when sales partners become involved.
just remeber this important fact
although, you didnt sign it, the service agreement (which hopefully the tech left you a copy), states that you have a warranty on service of any kind. they cant charge you to come back provided they do so within 30 days (may even be up to 90 days).
your equipment isnt activated so, you dont have service yet, and cant be liable to pay ANYTHING at this point.
just hang in there, wait till monday and i would trust the issue to be fixed. there is a clause in the service agreement that states should the customer be unsatisfied with the equipment (which you are) it can be changed within a limited time period. thats the clause they will use to create a work order to upgrade your receivers. hopefully, costing you nothing, and not causing a chargback to the tech either.
although, it ultimately is HIS fault, for not verifying the work before beginning the work.
he wont do that again i bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts