72.7 comes into the picture. Another 8-K filiing

Echo has 2 of their own sats currently planned for used with DISH in the next few years. Echo 11 and Echo 14. I don't blame them for doing lease agreements at all though. It buys them time and gives them what they need.

Considering that all three orbital slots will be occupied with DBS band satellites, I can't imagine the dish being larger than a 1000.2.

The rest of the world calls the DBS band the BSS band. Then again, we're still using pints and quarts.

DirecTV 1r that is currently at 72.5 is a conus beam satellite. So its not ideal for hosting locals since that would be done more efficiently via spotbeam.

It looks like Dish's long term plan is to lease satellite space from other companies for their broadcasting and then just using their aging Echostar fleet to park in slots as they come up so they can acquire capacity either through sharing with providers in other countries or by gaining the slot cheaply when the owner can't get a bird there.

I think it is fairly obvious that no one will have to have a dish to get 61.5 W, 72.7 W and 77 W for the eastern arc. Neither 72.7 W nor 77 W will be able to provide full coverage for the eastern arc. The Canadian slot 72.7 W will be used for the northern part of the eastern arc and the mexican slot, 77 W will be used for the southern half. This is because of interference issues and licensing. Folks saw the signal map for E-6 at 77 W. It didn't cover everywhere on the eastern half of the U.S. especially up in New England and the new Canadian satellite will not be designed to cover the southeast part of the U.S. either.

Now national channels could be mirrored on both but both also could be used exclusively for HD locals or a mix of both locals and nationals. So in the north, one would just use a D500 dish and those in the south will use a D1000 dish.

I think it is fairly obvious that no one will have to have a dish to get 61.5 W, 72.7 W and 77 W for the eastern arc. Neither 72.7 W nor 77 W will be able to provide full coverage for the eastern arc. The Canadian slot 72.7 W will be used for the northern part of the eastern arc and the mexican slot, 77 W will be used for the southern half. This is because of interference issues and licensing. Folks saw the signal map for E-6 at 77 W. It didn't cover everywhere on the eastern half of the U.S. especially up in New England and the new Canadian satellite will not be designed to cover the southeast part of the U.S. either.

Now national channels could be mirrored on both but both also could be used exclusively for HD locals or a mix of both locals and nationals. So in the north, one would just use a D500 dish and those in the south will use a D1000 dish.

Dish is leasing the transponders on 72.7. That means the coverage from that location will be the result of their negotiations with the owner of that orbital slot. If signal from the satellite to be placed at 72.7 can reach the southern US, it will be up to DISH if they want to host spots from that location. 72.7 wont be constrained by interference issues since it is a cooperative arrangement between Echostar and Telesat. 77 on the other hand is a situation where Telesat is worried about interference with 82.

61.5 is ideal for national as there is no risk of having to pull programming due to interference. Interference is more easily managed as a spot beam. That's why I imagine DISH is pulling for testing on all these potential interference slots so they can demonstrate spot beam operation without messing with Canada or Mexico.

Dish is leasing the transponders on 72.7. That means the coverage from that location will be the result of their negotiations with the owner of that orbital slot. If signal from the satellite to be placed at 72.7 can reach the southern US, it will be up to DISH if they want to host spots from that location. 72.7 wont be constrained by interference issues since it is a cooperative arrangement between Echostar and Telesat. 77 on the other hand is a situation where Telesat is worried about interference with 82.

61.5 is ideal for national as there is no risk of having to pull programming due to interference. Interference is more easily managed as a spot beam. That's why I imagine DISH is pulling for testing on all these potential interference slots so they can demonstrate spot beam operation without messing with Canada or Mexico.

Doing a search on the Nimiq 5 satellite which is the one going to 72.7 W, there is no mention of spotbeams. I have to believe even though the launch of this satellite is probably 18 months away, the design should have been finalized so I would be very surprised if Dish will have spotbeam capability from this satellite. On the other hand, the new satellite that goes to 77 W that has yet to be contracted could indeed have spotbeams.

This is why it looks like Expressvu is open to doing such an agreement...

On March 11, 2008, a subsidiary of EchoStar entered into a set-top box pricing agreement (the “Pricing Agreement”) with Bell ExpressVu, Bell Distribution Inc. and Bell Canada. Under the Pricing Agreement, the parties amended their existing arrangements to, among other things, provide current pricing on set-top boxes and related equipment that reflects a material decrease from prices that Bell ExpressVu currently pays. As part of the Pricing Agreement, Bell ExpressVu will also pay the subsidiary a monthly fee for support services that the subsidiary had previously provided to Bell ExpressVu at no cost, subject to Bell ExpressVu’s right to cease paying such monthly fee in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Pricing Agreement.

Nimiq 5 license

Doing a search on the Nimiq 5 satellite which is the one going to 72.7 W, there is no mention of spotbeams. I have to believe even though the launch of this satellite is probably 18 months away, the design should have been finalized so I would be very surprised if Dish will have spotbeam capability from this satellite. On the other hand, the new satellite that goes to 77 W that has yet to be contracted could indeed have spotbeams.

Link for Nimiq 5 license follows:

Spectrum Management and Telecommunications - Telesat Canada - Revised Conditions of Licence

This is actually big news for Dish when you think about it. 62.5 and 72.7 fit a Dish500 no problem, and unlike trying to get a location at 77w which may have 4.5degree interefernece, 72.7 means that Dish will just need TPA like they have for 129w and vola, 16 more TPs that they can use CONUS...

Also, this has impact on DirecTV as well, as they will be forced to leave the 16TPs they have on 72 since I believe thier agreement for that orbital location is UNTIL Nimiq 5 arrives...

Too badd Nimiq5 is going to be a year and a half away though...

One last thought, perhaps to save some bandwith, this will result in Dish and Expressvu sharing some channels that are common on both programers... those who have been advocating for Dish and DirecTV to figure out a way to do it for locals, this is basically the same thing for national channels that have clearance in both countires...

One last thought, perhaps to save some bandwith, this will result in Dish and Expressvu sharing some channels that are common on both programers... those who have been advocating for Dish and DirecTV to figure out a way to do it for locals, this is basically the same thing for national channels that have clearance in both countires...

Actually, Canada has certain restrictions in place and that would probably mean that many of the broadcasts of US programs would have to be filtered and re-sent for transmission. Broadcaster freedom in Canada is much different than the US and so this scenario isn't likely.

It was a slip on my part to think that Dish would have any spotbeam usage on Nimiq 5. If its like the other Canadian satellites, its beams will cover ConUS as well so there's probably little chance of reusing those transponders as spot beams, even if Dish parked their own bird there for that purpose. Still, I'm amazed that Dish would host up national programming on a slot it could never hope to own outright. It hinges their ability to offer programming on whether or not a foreign entity wants to extend a lease agreement. If it was just locals on a slot like that, at least the inconvenience would only be extended to specific markets as opposed to the entire nation.

:eek: At 23.8”h x 30.9"w, the 500+ is not exactly what I had in mind when I read "single dish". Can your rumor possibly be right? No sats in the arc are FSS...

It wont be exactly the same size. it would be around 22 x 28. Just a speculation. Slighly smaller. I heard it would be in between 500+ and 1000.2

Actually, Canada has certain restrictions in place and that would probably mean that many of the broadcasts of US programs would have to be filtered and re-sent for transmission. Broadcaster freedom in Canada is much different than the US and so this scenario isn't likely.

It was a slip on my part to think that Dish would have any spotbeam usage on Nimiq 5. If its like the other Canadian satellites, its beams will cover ConUS as well so there's probably little chance of reusing those transponders as spot beams, even if Dish parked their own bird there for that purpose. Still, I'm amazed that Dish would host up national programming on a slot it could never hope to own outright. It hinges their ability to offer programming on whether or not a foreign entity wants to extend a lease agreement. If it was just locals on a slot like that, at least the inconvenience would only be extended to specific markets as opposed to the entire nation.

Doesn't Canada have CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, SpikeTV and the such? As long as there are no blackouts for programming that a Canadian broadcaster has (and even then, blackout codes similar to those used by Dish for the multisports package to prevent MLB, NHL, etc could be used) it should be fine, no?

Also, as long as they have a good long term agreement, like they do right now with Ciel to use 129w, I don't see the issue with using 72.7 (although I understand what your saying, since it appears that DirecTV may have to move its 72.5 wing operation now that Dish appears to be taking those TPs (Unless Dish gets half and DirecTV gets half, leaving Expressvu with none)) Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Dish then went and moved E3 or another bird out to 51w, so a D1000 could be used on the east coast for 51-61.5-72.7. BSS TPs are MUCH more valueable in my opinion than KA and FSS TPs just because of the small form factor and ability to use dishes such as the D1000...

Doesn't Canada have CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, SpikeTV and the such? As long as there are no blackouts for programming that a Canadian broadcaster has (and even then, blackout codes similar to those used by Dish for the multisports package to prevent MLB, NHL, etc could be used) it should be fine, no?

Also, as long as they have a good long term agreement, like they do right now with Ciel to use 129w, I don't see the issue with using 72.7 (although I understand what your saying, since it appears that DirecTV may have to move its 72.5 wing operation now that Dish appears to be taking those TPs (Unless Dish gets half and DirecTV gets half, leaving Expressvu with none)) Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Dish then went and moved E3 or another bird out to 51w, so a D1000 could be used on the east coast for 51-61.5-72.7. BSS TPs are MUCH more valueable in my opinion than KA and FSS TPs just because of the small form factor and ability to use dishes such as the D1000...

It also has to be recognized that Dish has applications in with the FCC for "reverse DBS" slots at 62.15 W, 75 W, 79 W, 107 W, and 110.4 W. There are no other applications near the first three so these can be full power. Once the FCC gets all the licensing straighten out for "reverse DBS" look for Dish to start building new satellites for these slots. Note that none of the current satellites can be used for "reverse DBS".

72.5 Plans

The attached link provides some idea of Telsat/Bell/Dish activities planned for 72.5 ( Bell has subleased some capacity to Dish). The principle subject is plans for the 17 GHZ satellites but it also includes an explanation of Telsat's marketing strategy for Nimiq 5.

http://www.strategis.gc.ca/epic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/Telesat-Licence%202%20Canadian%20Sat%20Capacity%20&%20Service%20Plans%20Nov%2015%202PM.pdf/$FILE/Telesat-Licence%202%20Canadian%20Sat%20Capacity%20&%20Service%20Plans%20Nov%2015%202PM.pdf

Last edited:
It is very confusing about the exact location of Nimiq 5. In some locations it says 72.5 in others it says 72.7.

Nimiq 5, a 12 GHz BSS satellite which Telesat is already authorized to launch into the72.5°WL position, would be the first of the four satellites to go into service. Bell ExpressVu recently committed to taking all capacity on this satellite and thus will have access to 32 new BSS transponders for Canadian customer use in this neighbourhood.

and

As noted above, Telesat and Bell ExpressVu are in the process of expanding this Canadian neighbourhood to include the 72.7°WL 12 GHz BSS position where Nimiq 5 will go into service for Bell ExpressVu’s use by 2010.

They go back and forth in the same document. Maybe they mean 72.7 neighborhood but with a few satellites in there the range will go from 72.5-72.7 with DBS at 72.5.

I am pretty sure that right now, the DirecTV bird is at 72.5, and Nimiq intends to use the 72.7 orbital location when N5 gets into place. This could potentially be because the DTV bird is going to remain as an in-orbit spare at 72.5, or just because they feel 72.7 is better for whatever reason.

Nimiq 5 - Loral Space & Comm 8k

A second confirmation from the April 1 Loral 8k. Another good site to monitor for insight on satellite activities since they are one of the major satellite manufacturers.

"Loral also helped Telesat facilitate an important arrangement between EchoStar and Canada’s Bell ExpressVu that provides EchoStar with the use of 16 transponders on the future Nimiq 5 satellite being built for Telesat by SS/L. "

Loral Space & Communications - SEC Filings

Quote:
On March 11, 2008, a subsidiary of EchoStar entered into a set-top box pricing agreement (the “Pricing Agreement”) with Bell ExpressVu, Bell Distribution Inc. and Bell Canada. Under the Pricing Agreement, the parties amended their existing arrangements to, among other things, provide current pricing on set-top boxes and related equipment that reflects a material decrease from prices that Bell ExpressVu currently pays. As part of the Pricing Agreement, Bell ExpressVu will also pay the subsidiary a monthly fee for support services that the subsidiary had previously provided to Bell ExpressVu at no cost, subject to Bell ExpressVu’s right to cease paying such monthly fee in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Pricing Agreement.

Perhaps DISH plans to sell them a bunch of refurbished 311s, etc. from a planned MPEG4 receiver swap out. DISH probably just figured out what they would do with all the recovered receivers in a nationwide receiver swap.

A second confirmation from the April 1 Loral 8k. Another good site to monitor for insight on satellite activities since they are one of the major satellite manufacturers.

"Loral also helped Telesat facilitate an important arrangement between EchoStar and Canada’s Bell ExpressVu that provides EchoStar with the use of 16 transponders on the future Nimiq 5 satellite being built for Telesat by SS/L. "

Loral Space & Communications - SEC Filings
But remember that Echostar and Dish Network aren't the same entity any more. That Nimiq 5 transponders could be for commercial use, not DBS.

But remember that Echostar and Dish Network aren't the same entity any more. That Nimiq 5 transponders could be for commercial use, not DBS.

They are DBS frequencies, they pretty much have to be used for video to consumers, or the FCC would not allow their use. The other Ku band has no set purpose and can be pretty much be used for anything. Echostar uses 105, 121, etc for commercial.

They are DBS frequencies, they pretty much have to be used for video to consumers, or the FCC would not allow their use. The other Ku band has no set purpose and can be pretty much be used for anything. Echostar uses 105, 121, etc for commercial.
FCC has no control over what the 72.5 DBS frequencies are used for, as they are Canadian.

I am not so sure that the FCC would not be involved.Yes that is a Canadian slot but it is being used to treansmit to the US. In fact didn't we go through all this before?