721 inactivity mode

caseyatbt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 29, 2003
Monument, CO
I've had this receiver for a week. It is current with the firmware.
I have the inactivity mode enabled but in the morning, I expect a sceensaver similar to what my 508 has, but it is still running.
Is it working?

JC

:confused:

I don't think the inactivity mode works like the 500 series dvrs. In fact I don't think it works at all. I have 2 of the 721s and it works on neither one. It might be to the fact that I have timers for movies going at all hours of the day and night. This might prevent the 4 hour inactivity mode to kick in. Then again I tend to think it is not working like it was suppossed to.

caseyatbt said:
I've had this receiver for a week. It is current with the firmware.
I have the inactivity mode enabled but in the morning, I expect a sceensaver similar to what my 508 has, but it is still running.Is it working?
JC :confused:

The 721 screensaver only activates if you have the picture paused or other "unactive" picture for 5 minutes (or so)
It does NOT go to screen saver after being in a "active" picture without "remote activity".
There is NOT a need for a screen saver when the video is "active".
IMHO
This 4 hour "inactivity" WHILE on "active" video screensaver is a lame idea.
Why would anyone need that? What are you trying to save? Active video is active video, whether it is being watched or not.
What happened to just turning the power off yourself when finished watching?
I would personaly rather have NO screensaver if ...
It works simply by leaving it on a channel without remote activity, that's lame.

retiredTech said:
This 4 hour "inactivity" WHILE on "active" video screensaver is a lame idea.

Agreed, in fact somebody made a habit of describing, in about 40 different threads containing exactly the same text, this "feature" as implemented on the 322 as a "major bug that was totally unacceptable"

caseyatbt said:
Is there any way to tell if it is working then?

JC
I don't know. Mine has never been idle for 4 hours :)
The only way that I know of is to use your ears. When you turn the unit back on, you might be able to hear the hard drive spin up.....

Just put your hand on top of the receiver, you can tell if the drive is spinning or not. I think the inactivity mode is a good idea, so many ppl don't turn off their receivers. Why, I don't know. But this helps the receiver keep up to date on software and guide data. Just turn it off at night!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)