721 Locking Up / Crashing

DTMARTENS

Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
This is the second receiver that we have had the same problem with. It will work fine for 6-9 months. Then when we have only 30 some hours left to record, it crashes on us. We have to reboot (hard) and it says "Installing New Drive Image". We lose everything that was recorded. Can we not fill the recorder up that far?? Or are we doing something wrong????

Any one else have this problem? Any suggestions????

having the HD 2/3 full should not be any problem.
The main probelm is with heat. the heat from the pvr units makes the HD less relaible and also causes some issues with the tuners like in the 501. Make sure it has good ventialtion/circulataion as possible. Especially the 721 cause the fan vent to the bottom. A friend of mine had his sitting on the carpet and the fan was getting no air. DUH.......

I haven't had any lock-ups, and the hard drives of my 721 and 508 usually have about 15-20 hours each of recording time left. Went on vacation earlier this year and came back to 22 minutes of recording time left. Still no problems, so I don't think that's your problem.

I "turn off" the receivers when they aren't being used, and I soft boot the 721 once per week just to avoid any problems.

My 721 is in a cabinet and is quite warm to the touch, but I could leave my hand on it for a long period of time, if that gives you any indication on whether or not yours is too hot.

I don't have any suggestions for what might be wrong. Good luck with your diagnosis!

I really do think heat is a big factor with the 721. I have not had any of the weird and wacky behavior that so many post about their 721's. I removed the cover shortly after I bought it, because I felt that the left side of the unit was way too hot for an electronic device. (There are ventilation holes and a small fan on the right side of the unit, but not even vent holes on the left, where the PSU is! Stupid stupid design.)

I do not think it's a coincedence that my 721 runs so well (for a Dish receiver). I truly believe the two are related.

If it is a heat issue why would it be fine for 6-9 months before we had any problem?? Nothing has changed in that area. In fact I'm sure it has been hotter in the house then it was last Wednesday when it happened.

Component damage from heat can take time. It doesn't mean that you'll have problems the second it's hot, and they go away when it cools off.

Heat causes permanent damage to electronic components. It takes a while for it to happen. But, once damage occurs, it is permanent.

The 721 is poorly designed from a cooling standpoint. It's pretty "cool", otherwise.

The Big Switch

disregard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts