722 DVR Software Issues

claytonboen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Perhaps someone can direct me to where I can can offer this feedback to DN.

Yesterday I ran into an interesting problem with my DVR.

First, I have a 722 DVR, with an HD antenna hooked up to it. This allows me to record up to 3 programs, 2 on the DVR's turners and 1 on the antenna tuner.

Last night I ran into a situation where I had a program recording on each of the DVR's tuners and the antenna was free. I wanted to record a basketball game, so I told the game to record and cancel the program on tuner 2. Then I went to the antenna and told those programs to record on the antenna.

Although it scheduled the recording, they automatically showed up as canceled.

So I had the same program canceled on both the DVR's tuner and the antenna tuner, even though the antenna tuner was free.

To solve the problem I was forced to remove my timer for the program in question (which removed it from the schedule on both the antenna and the DVR tuner) and then re-add the recording on the antenna.

That ended up working.

But it seems to me that issue could have and should have been solved by the DVR itself. It is an obvious flaw in the programming.

I also hate the fact that if I am watching a show, press pause (so the show begins to "record") and then put on another show I have already recorded for a few minutes, when I go back to the live show it is no longer buffered. I have to watch it from the live point. It isn't like this with Tivo or DirecTv. Does anybody know if there are plans to change this?

Thanks for reading!

...I also hate the fact that if I am watching a show, press pause (so the show begins to "record") and then put on another show I have already recorded for a few minutes, when I go back to the live show it is no longer buffered. I have to watch it from the live point. It isn't like this with Tivo or DirecTv. Does anybody know if there are plans to change this?

I doubt this is a very high priority, as you can either use PIP to keep the paused recording in the buffer (and on some DVRs I believe you can minimize the PIP window--at least you could on my old 721), or push the record button to keep it as a permanent recording.

Had a new one today. 722 DVR issue. Customer could not record Survivor. Could record any other program, even on the same station. Any time the sub attempted to record it, some sort of conflict would arise. It would say you can't record this because it is already recording, but it was not. Or it would say it conflicts with the system download ( set for 5:10 am.) Could not just press record ( program already recording error.) Looking at reasons the timer was skipped, Error, or conflict with download. No way to trouble shoot it unless I were to come by at 7pm on thursday. Everything else was okay. Perfect signal, no error recording anything else. Swapped out for a new 722. IT BETTER fix it or I might just retire.

Perhaps someone can direct me to where I can can offer this feedback to DN.

Yesterday I ran into an interesting problem with my DVR.

First, I have a 722 DVR, with an HD antenna hooked up to it. This allows me to record up to 3 programs, 2 on the DVR's turners and 1 on the antenna tuner.

Last night I ran into a situation where I had a program recording on each of the DVR's tuners and the antenna was free. I wanted to record a basketball game, so I told the game to record and cancel the program on tuner 2. Then I went to the antenna and told those programs to record on the antenna.

Although it scheduled the recording, they automatically showed up as canceled.

So I had the same program canceled on both the DVR's tuner and the antenna tuner, even though the antenna tuner was free.

To solve the problem I was forced to remove my timer for the program in question (which removed it from the schedule on both the antenna and the DVR tuner) and then re-add the recording on the antenna.

That ended up working.

But it seems to me that issue could have and should have been solved by the DVR itself. It is an obvious flaw in the programming.

I also hate the fact that if I am watching a show, press pause (so the show begins to "record") and then put on another show I have already recorded for a few minutes, when I go back to the live show it is no longer buffered. I have to watch it from the live point. It isn't like this with Tivo or DirecTv. Does anybody know if there are plans to change this?

Thanks for reading!

Yeah, it is like that (video advances to live, dumping the buffer, when switching between the two tuners) on Tivo (Series 3). What you describe happens with Dish only if you have that tuner as a Recording On Demand. If the tuner is just buffering the program, then it will NOT dump the buffer. It will still stay with the delayed video when you switch between the 2 tuners, UNlike Tivo, which is an annoying thing about the Tivo as it has NO PIP to at least monitor delayed video from the buffer.

Tivo is a good product, but, overall, not as good as the 722.

If the receiver is in single mode, after pressing pause, hit the swap button and then watch the recorded event. When done, press swap and the paused program is still paused. It never dumps the second tuner buffer while on the first tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts