722 Failure

vttvwatcher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
in a house
I think the hard drive on my 722 has failed. After power reset, green TV1 light comes on...stays on for about 30-seconds...then goes off..fan continues to work, then it resets itself and starts the process all over again.

Unplugged unit for several hours, plugged back in again, same problem.

Dish is sending me a new receiver.

It's probably a long shot, but has anyone ever had success getting the recordings off the DVR after a similar failure??

On the other hand, if the drive has not failed, some folks have successfully used the following procedure.

1) Receive and activate new receiver, get all downloads etc.
2) Unplug it from the wall, and put the old and new receivers top to top with the tops removed.
3) Cable the old disk to the new receiver.
4) Plug new receiver back in.
5) Move recordings from old disk onto your EHD using new receiver.
6) Unplug again, restore original cabling, and receiver tops.
7) Ship dead receiver back to Dish.
8) Optionally restore EHD programs to new receiver internal disk.

Is there any chance that connecting the old drive to the new receiver could "infect" the new receiver and cause problems once I hook it back up to its original set-up?

Is there any chance that connecting the old drive to the new receiver could "infect" the new receiver and cause problems once I hook it back up to its original set-up?

I doubt it, but it all depends upon whether your old internal disk is toast (or not). From the symptoms, I don't think it's shot; I think the receiver is shot. Even if the disk is shot, the receiver should still boot up and give you something akin to a VIP222, i.e. an HD receiver with no DVR functions. If you want to go crazy and insure that the disk isn't doing something horrible to keep the receiver from booting, just take the cover off the old 722 and unplug the disk from the mainboard, and see if the receiver will boot up without the disk connected. If it does, then the disk has failed horribly and you should not try my 8-step process above. My prediction is that it still won't boot, in which case it's likely the old disk is fine and still contains your programs, and you can recover them with my procedure above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts