722 HDMI audio Passthrough

TV INSIGNIA NS-L46X-10A (conneted) to 722 Via HDMI
BlueRay - NS - WBRDVD (Connected) to TV VIA HDMI

You are right the TV takes longer to process HD Video information which creates the lag. Stated that on my first post. However, the TV compensates for that and automatically syncs with audio to adjust for the Video lag. That is the whole point. If the 722 could pass through the Audio signal (uncompressed) I think it will then allow the signal to Match up to the video on the TV and then pass the delayed audio to my receiver. I only have the problem when I have the Motion Blur Technology turned on. You will find this problem with most every 120 HZ LCD TV that has their special "motion blur" technology turned on. If I turn off the Motion Blur tech. Everything works fine and dandy. But then I just turned my TV back into a 60HZ television. So the idea is to be able to use both TV audio or Surround Sound with the Motion Technology in use. I do not always want my 5.1 sound on but woulod like to know it is available to use without having to make different types of connections. I like that HDMI cable is one connection but it doesn't help if the techonolgy piped through it is limited in the way the 722 appears to be. Not bashing the 722 just trying to find someone (software/programming engineer) that can get at the core data and possibly make this work. I mean if a cable box can do pass-through I would hope my new HD Satellite recevier could do the same. I understand what the 722 is capable of as it is programmed today. But can that be approved upon? Trust me after reading a thousand post about similiar issues using different TV's and A/V receivers there may be a lot of people out there that may benefit from this. It might even be a selling point for people shopping for a new cable or satellite service.

Last edited:
Nothing to tweak. Sorry, not what you want to hear, I know. If you Google the matter, you will see it's universal. As far as the gentleman is concerned, not enough info, if indeed he was successful. The rep you quoted said audio had to be RAW (uncompressed). All sat audio is compressed.

If all Sat signals coming into the receiver are compressed then I am probably screwed as this would obviously require more than updating the software on the 722.

Pass through in your setup is a function of the TV. The receiver already passes what it is receiving either 2 channel PCM or 5.1 DD. I have found no evidence in your TV manual that it will pass a 5.1 signal from an outside source other than from its internal tuner. SInce most of the top TV's don't, I am having difficulty believing that the Insignia does.

S~

I am working on this through the manufacturer to get a 2nd confirmation on passing the 5.1 through to the TV. Considering they said it would and someone was able to get it to work I figured it worth a try to see if there is something that needed to happen on the Dish side of things. I have heard this happening on all brands of TV's with a similiar hook-up and thus far most say only 2.0 can pass through the TV optical output. I was pleasantly surprised to find out my would pass 5.1 and someone confirmed it. Anyways thanks for at least taking a stab at it.

One acronym... HDCP... The receiver will pass DD5.1 through the HDMI to the TV... I know this because I had a 32" LG TV which I used for the receiver & a PS3... both connected to the TV w/ HDMI... one optical cable to the AV receiver gave me DD5.1 (if available on the particular channel) from both sources... TV built before the new HDCP rules... Since the LG was only 720, I bought a new 1080p which will not pass DD5.1 from anything but the internal tuner... If your manufacturer says it will, I'm putting $$ on it being "home grown" videos, such as those from a Camcorder w/ a 5.1 encoder built in, on unprotected media (home burned DVD). The handshaking between the TV, sat receiver, and your bluray player tells the TV "umm, no, I don't think so" and all you get from the TV optical is 2.0... thank the movie studios for this & don't blame the hardware manufacturers...

One acronym... HDCP... The receiver will pass DD5.1 through the HDMI to the TV... I know this because I had a 32" LG TV which I used for the receiver & a PS3... both connected to the TV w/ HDMI... one optical cable to the AV receiver gave me DD5.1 (if available on the particular channel) from both sources... TV built before the new HDCP rules... Since the LG was only 720, I bought a new 1080p which will not pass DD5.1 from anything but the internal tuner... If your manufacturer says it will, I'm putting $$ on it being "home grown" videos, such as those from a Camcorder w/ a 5.1 encoder built in, on unprotected media (home burned DVD). The handshaking between the TV, sat receiver, and your bluray player tells the TV "umm, no, I don't think so" and all you get from the TV optical is 2.0... thank the movie studios for this & don't blame the hardware manufacturers...

Bingo! You need one of these: Felston DD740 - Digital Audio Delay to solve lip sync
It also works great with an upconverting DVD player or BR player. Or....you can always buy a new AVR with HDMI switching and built-in delay. ;)

Brad

I have discontinued my search. After speaking with Dish engineer the 722 does not have the capability to pass-through RAW signal. I think some suggested that fact earlier but I figured anything is possible if you are the one writing the software, Perhaps in the future.

Anyway thanks again for the feedback.

God bless,
Mike

Bingo! You need one of these: Felston DD740 - Digital Audio Delay to solve lip sync
It also works great with an upconverting DVD player or BR player. Or....you can always buy a new AVR with HDMI switching and built-in delay. ;)

Brad

Yes, that is a viable option. I hear the Felston works pretty good. Thanks for the suggestion. I figure for a couple hundred bucks I could run around the problem with the Felston or get a better TV and eliminate the source of the issue. So that is what I did. For a bit more cash I upgraded to a 50" Pani. Plasma. The picture is friggin sweet and the lip sync is gone. Actually I am glad my first (temporary) big screen was the insignia. It helped me to appreciate the new plasma even more.

FWIW, HDMI from my 722 to my Onkyo 607 would NOT deliver 5.1 DD. I had to run an optical cable to get it. This wasn't the case with my BluRay player or upconvert DVD player--they both were capable of sending it via HDMI. Kinda off topic but thought folks would like to know.........

Ed

$249.00 for the Felston gizmo?????Thankfully my Onkyo has audio sync!

Sony KDL-52Z5100 pases Dolby 5.1 from vip622 to audio receiver

I have my vip622 receiver hooked to my Sony KDL-52Z5100 by HDMI. I have the TV hooked to my Onkyo audio receiver by optical Toslink cable. I am able to pass the dolby 5.1 signal from the satellite receiver to my tv and then to the audio receiver via the toslink cable. This gives me several advantages:
1) My audio receiver does not have any HDMI inputs.
2) I was able eliminate the toslink cable from the 622 to the onkyo.
3) I can listen to a satellite station without the audio receiver on or I can turn on the audio receiver for programs using dolby 5.1.

Someone said that no tv's will pass dolby 5.1. That is false since it works for my tv.

Perhaps 722 is different than 622

I am able to pass dolby 5.1 thru my tv from a 622 receiver. I noticed that you were using a 722 receiver. Could the HDMI be handled differently in the 722 versus the 622?

I am able to pass dolby 5.1 thru my tv from a 622 receiver. I noticed that you were using a 722 receiver. Could the HDMI be handled differently in the 722 versus the 622?

Looks like it. I do know that my 722 will not send DD5.1 to my Onkyo 607 via HDMI. I had to run an optical cable to get it. Since you are getting it by running HDMI from your 622 to the TV and then on to your Onkyo via optical it appears that you're right about the difference between 622/722.:confused:

Ed

That's what I do, HDMI to TV for video and optical to A/V receiver for audio. My A/V receiver has input for HDMI but that would mean that the A/V receiver needs to be on to watch TV. The TV won't pass 5.1 just 2.0 audio.

Strange. :confused: What A/V receiver do you have? My 722 is connected to an HDMI input on my Onkyo and the receiver doesn't have to be on to view Dish programming on the TV. However the receiver needs to be set to the correct input mode (CBL/SAT in my case) before it was turned off.

Ed

Strange. :confused: What A/V receiver do you have? My 722 is connected to an HDMI input on my Onkyo and the receiver doesn't have to be on to view Dish programming on the TV. However the receiver needs to be set to the correct input mode (CBL/SAT in my case) before it was turned off.

Ed

I have a pretty basic receiver, Sony STR-DG810.

Sony STR-DG810 AV receiver reviews - CNET Reviews

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)