722: New HDD gives message about too many devices connected to USB port

jporum

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I already have a couple of other HDD's I use with my 722, a 1 TB and a 1.5 TB. They are plugged into the front panel when they are used, and only one is plugged in at a time. I have no problem with either of these.

I just got a new 2 TB (single platter) HDD (with an external power supply), and when I plugged it into the front panel the first time, it formatted it as expected. However, now when I connect it to the front panel, I get a pop up message on the screen that states: "You have connected too many devices to the USB port. The receiver will only support one of them". I click on the OK button, and I can access the drive just fine, see the full amount of disc space, and can transfer and view shows just fine.

Connecting either of my other drives does not cause this message to show up, but consistently the new drive gets this message.

<insert Hopper plug here>

You are saying the 2TB is the ONLY one plugged in, or perhaps another one (or other device) is plugged in but powered down? Trying to remember how many USB ports are on the ViP722.

In any event, it sounds like your 2TB is being seen as two devices. Some are like that and aren't supposed to work. But you say you clear the OK and it works. You're sure it's a "single platter?"

I think it may be an issue with multiple platters. What I had done is to order 2 identical 2 TB drives (Seagate STBV2000100), one I was going to use as an external drive for my computer, the other for my Dish DVR. What I have now found is that one of the HDD works just fine on the Dish DVR, and the other gives the too many devices warning (although it does appear to have the full capacity and is able to transfer shows). Looking at the label, one of the drives is made in China (this is the one that works) and the other in Thailand (this is the one that gives the warnings).

So I think the drives, despite having the same model number, are not identical and by luck I chose the one from Thailand for the DVR. So I'll just switch and use the one from China for that application, since it does not give the warning, and use the other for my PC.

Thanks navychop for the comment to make sure it was a single platter.

I just got the same drive from Staples. It's being formatted right now on my HWS. I also have another ehd on the HWS. Will see what happens when I try to access it.

Most if not all large capacity disks have multiple platters. That shouldn't matter.

jporum
How long did it take to format the Seagate? I started last night and it still wasn't formatted this am. It wasn't even recognized after the overningt reboot. When I unokugged and the plugged the power back to the drive, I got the message that it had to be formatted. Still getting the format message on screen (869)

jporum
How long did it take to format the Seagate?
Probably less than 5 minutes each, and both formatted fine.

(I do wonder why the procedure requires the reboot of the DVR, a bit irritating, but since I will only format a disc once - in theory - not that big of a deal).

Don't forget to check to see if the sleep mode of the HDD has been turned off. Often there is a software program pre-loaded on the disc that will allow you to do this, but if not, download the Seagate Drive Settings program from Seagate (http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/drive-settings-master-dl/) and change the sleep time to never. Otherwise it will go to sleep when it is attached to the dish DVR and require a power cycle to wake up.

Last edited:
Didn't know about disabling the sleep function. Tried to format it a few times and the screen just sits at the format message. Tried both the rear usb port thru a hub and directly from the front port. No change. Then tried hooking it up to my computer and I got a message abut an new device but it never showed up on my list of drives. Next step is to try it on my other HWS..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)