722 Not Recording GMA

jimjo3298

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Fremont Nebraska
I've replaced my 722 once had to archive almost 50Gigs of programs. Then copy all my timers from sling guide. Activate the receiver then retore all my programs. Both the old and neww receiver has a problem with recording Good Morning America. Have set the Priority to 1 ,and tried all three tuners, OTA, DishHD, and DishSD Channels. It shows tuner 2 is recording, but when i turn on tuner 2, it says theres a problem and the reciever. It needs a front panel reset. If I choose cancel the tuner activates the set timer for GMA and will record the remaining show. Dish CSR's have no clue. Any Ideas. Have checked the LNB and don't have any LNB drift on either Output of the dish.

I have a 722 and You don't need to turn on tuner 2 to see if it is recording. turn on tv1 and press your DVR button and see if it is recording. If it is just press it like you were going to watch a recording and see what you get. you can also set the timer to start 1 min early as well. If everything else is working. Also even if it is priority one you need to check the next days schedule to see if is being skipped or not as priority will not restore a skipped event. i have had a few recordings skipped for no reason and once I restore them it works every time. Also make sure you only have 1 timer set for that show. more than one of the same show on different channels will skip all some times, it gets confused. also check to make sure the time is set to record and not tune to it. You probably know this but check everything

I've replaced my 722 once had to archive almost 50Gigs of programs. Then copy all my timers from sling guide. Activate the receiver then retore all my programs. Both the old and neww receiver has a problem with recording Good Morning America. Have set the Priority to 1 ,and tried all three tuners, OTA, DishHD, and DishSD Channels. It shows tuner 2 is recording, but when i turn on tuner 2, it says theres a problem and the reciever. It needs a front panel reset. If I choose cancel the tuner activates the set timer for GMA and will record the remaining show. Dish CSR's have no clue. Any Ideas. Have checked the LNB and don't have any LNB drift on either Output of the dish.

I too have problems with recording GMA. The DVR starts to record it, but sometimes ( very randomly) when I turn on the set,and press select to get off the opening black screen, I get an error code that my smart card is not authorized for this and to wait or press channel up or down. When I do this, it stops recording, usually dumping part of the program in the process. I have tried resets, software downloads and DISH has sent a new receiver with no change in the problem. DISH techs have no idea, today one suggested it was ABC's fault. This is the only program I have experienced this problem.
Anybody have any suggestions?

I've had these same issues with GMA on ABC. Just like fireguy32. The 722 shows it's recording GMA. When you turn on the TV2 it has an error telling you to reset the receiver. I believe ABC is the problem. We record Local news from 5am to 7am on ABC out of Omaha. It always records the News with no issues. When it starts to record GMA it stops after an hour or won't record at all. Tribune media gives us guide info I wonder if it isn't an issue with them. Since all recoring done through the guide is dependent on there info.

they could be setting some strange record flags that is throwing off the dvr (dunno if dish's dvrs look at flags though)

So on and on it goes, where it stops nobody knows! Keep having the GMA issue and tech support suggested using a different channel- usually watch on ch 7 so try it on 9125. Nope, no difference. So Sunday we get a visit trom a field tech. Will keep you posted!

I've installed dish for 10 years and have owned a 7200 dishplayer 501 508 510 622 722. Also have installed many many SD as well as HD receivers. Done a lot troubleshooting for dish customers. So I could say I know quite a lot about what I'm Doing. So when someone starts a new thread, then as Mom always said if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't say anything at all

I've installed dish for 10 years and have owned a 7200 dishplayer 501 508 510 622 722. Also have installed many many SD as well as HD receivers. Done a lot troubleshooting for dish customers. So I could say I know quite a lot about what I'm Doing. So when someone starts a new thread, then as Mom always said if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't say anything at all
???????????????? Don't get your panties in a bunch. Then I trust you would not be the kind of field tech that came to my house and told me that my 722's would not be able to receive OTA after Feb. 17. Or who asked me if I would draw a diagram for combining the UHF antenna to go to TV2. Or another one who told me that a seperate Dish 500 could not pick up 129 if another was aimed at 110/119. And you would not have told me a signal strength of 30 on 119 was "good enough." Right?

Last edited:
I install dish locally and every single install that doesn't work properly, our company will go back and make the correct adjustments to make the customer happy. I'm in the midwest and there are a lot of flybynight companies who do sloppy installs. My company has gone in and fixed the problems that other installers have left. The sad part for the customer is if we didn't install it it costs the customer more money because dish won't pay us to fix screwed up installs. Someone has to pay us for our labor and supplies. I know for a fact many installer couldn't tell the difference between an analog receiver and HD. Most can drill a hole pull a wire through and maybe hookup a TV if they read the instructions. I've had dish for over 10 years and every tech problem I've had I fixed myself. Without calling some idiot the couldn't strip a piece of coax and crimp on a coax end fi ther life depeneded on it. So the answer to your questions right I know what works and what don't. Saddly a lot installers must not train there help properly.

Well, tech came out and replaced both LNB, another new 722 (third one in 5 months) realigned dish, and removed the ground pin from the 722 ac plug. Apparently stray voltages through ground screw these things up. So far so good, will keep you posted.

Well, tech came out and replaced both LNB, another new 722 (third one in 5 months) realigned dish, and removed the ground pin from the 722 ac plug. Apparently stray voltages through ground screw these things up. So far so good, will keep you posted.

They can not remove the ground lug. That is against the NEC standards. they are blowing smoke saying stray voltages are in the ground lug. The ground lug is just that a ground in case something shorts out the voltage will go to ground and not you. You better call dish and tell them what the installer did because dish will be liable if something happens. Talk to any electrician and they will tell you it is wrong to remove a ground lug for safety reasons. You had a very stupid installer. A young girl was electrocuted at a lake on a dock because it was not grounded properly.

Also by the way the dish and switch MUST be grounded as well to you plumbing. If not you will have problems.

???? No, you wont
You want to bet money on it? I can prove it. just let lightning hit your dish and watch everything burn up. the grounding prevents this. Alrady has happened to several people I know. they grounded the system and lightning hit the dish and had no problems. But if you want to take a chance go ahead. Dish will not pay for lightning damage if the system is not grounded properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)