722 programming issue, duplicate events

BOBinMIZZU

Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
SW Missouri
No problems for the first 18 months. Problem started about 6-8 weeks ago. This is hard to describe and I hope this makes sense. I have a timer to record all new Nascar Racing events for both ESPN and SPEED channels. The live race airs on ESPN. SPEED re-broadcasts the race a few days later. The 722 is skipping the live ESPN airing as a "duplicate event" and the SPEED timer is active (say 2 days later). I check the schedule, see the problem, and "restore" the ESPN event. After the daily DVR update the timers are again switched. This is driving me nuts and I'd appreciate any help. I've had no other problems with the 722. I use it a lot and love it.

No problems for the first 18 months. Problem started about 6-8 weeks ago. This is hard to describe and I hope this makes sense. I have a timer to record all new Nascar Racing events for both ESPN and SPEED channels. The live race airs on ESPN. SPEED re-broadcasts the race a few days later. The 722 is skipping the live ESPN airing as a "duplicate event" and the SPEED timer is active (say 2 days later). I check the schedule, see the problem, and "restore" the ESPN event. After the daily DVR update the timers are again switched. This is driving me nuts and I'd appreciate any help. I've had no other problems with the 722. I use it a lot and love it.

Not sure if this will help or not, but have you checked the priority of the timers. Make sure the ESPN timer has a higher priority than the SPEED timer.

Not sure if this will help or not, but have you checked the priority of the timers. Make sure the ESPN timer has a higher priority than the SPEED timer.
Yes, that was the first thing I thought of. Priority settings make no difference. Sure appreciate your response though. Bob

:confused:

With two different timers, one on ESPN and one on SPEED, the the priority of each of the two different timers has nothing to do with whether new episodes on each of the channels is recorded. It will only serve to decide which timer would fire if they were both wanting to fire at the same time and if there was already one or more timers of a higher priority simultaneously trying to fire. (Or whether either one would fire if two or more other timers were scheduled to fire simultaneously.)

You have two independent timers set - one is seeking New episodes on
ESPN and one is independently seeking New episodes on SPEED. Restoring a timer on one network will have no effect on the other network's timer.

Is it possible that when New episodes atre shown on ESPN that you have a conflict at that time with any timers at that time?

Last edited:
:confused:

Is it possible that when New episodes atre shown on ESPN that you have a conflict at that time with any timers at that time?

No, that isn't the problem. I have gone so far as to delete all other timers (besides ESPN and SPEED) and the problem still exists. Thanks though. Oh, and I have also deleted all timers and started from scratch. Same problem.

No, that isn't the problem. I have gone so far as to delete all other timers (besides ESPN and SPEED) and the problem still exists. Thanks though. Oh, and I have also deleted all timers and started from scratch. Same problem.

Again, with two timers set for New on different channels, events on one timer have absolutely nothing to do with the other.

When the timer for the first showing on ESPN does not fire, what does the recording history shaw as the reason? "Not a new Event?" If so, it is the info in the Guide that is FUBAR.

Last edited:
I've seen it do this same thing with other programs, though I always assumed it was because it saw that it could record that program later and fit other programs into the time slot (eg: instead of recording A, B @9pm and skipping C it recorded B, C @9pm and recorded A at the later re-airing @1am, when all three timers were setup to record "new" episodes)

Of course it isn't smart enough to see that the Daily Show and Colbert Report are on the same channel so if I extend Daily Show to 5 minutes after it doesn't cause a conflict. Instead it says I can't record Conan, Daily Show, and Colbert, unless I'm willing to cut off the end of Daily Show.

I've seen it do this same thing with other programs, though I always assumed it was because it saw that it could record that program later and fit other programs into the time slot (eg: instead of recording A, B @9pm and skipping C it recorded B, C @9pm and recorded A at the later re-airing @1am, when all three timers were setup to record "new" episodes). ...
This would occur only if A was the lowest priority of the three. In any event, I don't see how it relates to the issue raised in this thread as priority is not a factor.

Again, with two timers set for New on different channels, events on one timer have absolutely nothing to do with the other.

When the timer for the first showing on ESPN does not fire, what does the recording history shaw as the reason? "Not a new Event?" If so, it is the info in the Guide that is FUBAR.

I can't answer your question. After it happened a couple of times I figured out what was happening. I "restore" the first showing just a few hours before it airs. Thus it is no longer skipped. The history doesn't go back far enough to pick up the actual skips I experienced.

I can't answer your question. After it happened a couple of times I figured out what was happening. I "restore" the first showing just a few hours before it airs. Thus it is no longer skipped. The history doesn't go back far enough to pick up the actual skips I experienced.
Bob,

The history goes back a couple of days! You need to scroll up above the "top" of the screen.

When you say you "figured out what was happening" you've got me confused. As stated above, the ESPN new events have nothing to do with the SPEED events.

Bob,

The history goes back a couple of days! You need to scroll up above the "top" of the screen.

When you say you "figured out what was happening" you've got me confused. As stated above, the ESPN new events have nothing to do with the SPEED events.

I guess that Bob will not be back after wasting our time.... :confused:

I have noticed the exact same issue with my VIP 622, ESPN and SPeed set up for Nascar record "new", and Saturdays ESPN shows "Skipped as duplicate" for the Speed Recordding that won't take place until 4 days later, makes no sense why "new" recorings would skip as duplicate between 2 different channels and makes even less sense that it skips for an event 4 days in the future.

I have noticed the exact same issue with my VIP 622, ESPN and SPeed set up for Nascar record "new", and Saturdays ESPN shows "Skipped as duplicate" for the Speed Recordding that won't take place until 4 days later, makes no sense why "new" recorings would skip as duplicate between 2 different channels and makes even less sense that it skips for an event 4 days in the future.

Let's try this again. :)

Go to the DVR window that displays Scheduled Events. Push DVR three times to see that window.

Now go back in time to see the specific reason for the skipped events. "The history goes back a couple of days! You need to scroll up above the "top" of the screen."

If you've already done this, pardon my suggestion.

Let's try this again. :)

Go to the DVR window that displays Scheduled Events. Push DVR three times to see that window.

Now go back in time to see the specific reason for the skipped events. "The history goes back a couple of days! You need to scroll up above the "top" of the screen."

If you've already done this, pardon my suggestion.

I understand your question whick is why I said "Skipped as Duplicate" which in its self is very strange but todays Nationwide race on ESPN was skipped referencing the channel 150 recording that won't happen until 11/18, 5 DAYS FROM NOW, rather crazy bug in the programming.

I understand your question whick is why I said "Skipped as Duplicate" ...

I kinda thought so. Other than to say this shouldn't be, which I think we both know, I can only suggest you contact Dish and hope you get a savvy Tech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts