722 slow response, and now spontaneous reboots

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
I have about 20 timers, mostly DishPass, all channels, set up on my 722. If I go to skip a particular timer event, it normally takes about 10 seconds to respond. Yesterday, the response time has increased to 30 seconds or more, and last night while skipping an event, it spontaneously rebooted, and then did the same thing this morning. I can't imagine that the unit is overheating as I installed a Thermaltake II fan exhaust fan on the left rear side of the unit over a week ago. I've had many more timers on my old 625 and never had this slow of a response before. Has anyone else experienced this with a 722? What is your normal response time with skipping or restoring a timer?

I have about 20 timers, mostly DishPass, all channels, set up on my 722. If I go to skip a particular timer event, it normally takes about 10 seconds to respond. Yesterday, the response time has increased to 30 seconds or more, and last night while skipping an event, it spontaneously rebooted, and then did the same thing this morning. I can't imagine that the unit is overheating as I installed a Thermaltake II fan exhaust fan on the left rear side of the unit over a week ago. I've had many more timers on my old 625 and never had this slow of a response before. Has anyone else experienced this with a 722? What is your normal response time with skipping or restoring a timer?
I have noticed it before on my 722 but it seems to be back to normal. Is the receiver still rebooting?

I have noticed it before on my 722 but it seems to be back to normal. Is the receiver still rebooting?
I went through about a half-dozen skips last night (after 1am) before it rebooted. This morning, about the same (half-dozen or so skips and then a spontaneous reboot). The 30+ second delay before the unit responds again is unbearable. I'm at work now so I haven't been able to check it since.

I went through about a half-dozen skips last night (after 1am) before it rebooted. This morning, about the same (half-dozen or so skips and then a spontaneous reboot). The 30+ second delay before the unit responds again is unbearable. I'm at work now so I haven't been able to check it since.
Let me know when you check it to night if it has gotten any better or worse. When it happened to my 722 it was back to normal not to long after I first noticed the problem.

Let me know when you check it to night if it has gotten any better or worse. When it happened to my 722 it was back to normal not to long after I first noticed the problem.
Did yours reboot also, or just experience a slowdown? Also, is 10 seconds normal for a response to a skip or restore?

Hmmm, installing a fan in your receiver...did you purchase your receiver or are you leasing it? Well, anyways, I hate to break it to you but most of the HD receivers you will get from Dish are refurbished...and some aren't refurbished well. Go to menu - #6 "system setup" - #1 "installation" - #3 "system info" then hit "details." Scroll down to where you see 2 columns of numbers. On the left it will go from top to bottom 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on. In the 2nd column to the right you should see a bunch of zeros. You will see a -2 next to # 7 or 8 or something like that. If you are getting a 5 or higher in certain places that indicates a hardware failure in the receiver.
10 seconds for the unit to skip or delete timers is normal...rebooting after deleting timers is indicative of hardware failure or a bad refurbish job. A lot of refubies just go in and back out to other customers without being fixed properly.

xJimbos: No, I plugged in a USB powered external Thermaltake fan as described in other threads here. Search for thermaltake to find those posts.

Zach: I noticed that many of my counters have been reset, including the 015 popup and the T1/T2 Rain/Snow counters, AND a new software update was recently applied...so MAYBE the software was in the midst of being downloaded/installed when I encountered my problems. It is working fine now.

xJimbos: No, I plugged in a USB powered external Thermaltake fan as described in other threads here. Search for thermaltake to find those posts.

Zach: I noticed that many of my counters have been reset, including the 015 popup and the T1/T2 Rain/Snow counters, AND a new software update was recently applied...so MAYBE the software was in the midst of being downloaded/installed when I encountered my problems. It is working fine now.

Glad to hear. Keep an eye on it and let me know if you noticed it again.

My 722 is doing the same thing with timers, but in addition moving through the guide is extremely painful. It takes about 1 second to move up a spot. Takes at least a second to directly enter each number to go to a channel directly. When I am out of the guide pressing channel numbers normally (ex 301) It will only record the "3" unless you press the 3...wait a second...press the 0...wait a second...press the one...wait another 2 seconds. Then it will change channels.

I have rebooted the machine twice now, and have verified it is experiencing this lag even when pressing the buttons on the receiver itself. My wife is about to go crazy. This has been going on since last night.

Currently running L688

Any suggestions?

L688 is a 722k software version, the 722 has L677. Are we discussing apples and oranges here? Notice my OP is in regard to the 722 (no k).

I don't think we are, while there are some subtle differences in the equipment a lot of the software is the same, with minor tweaks to address the differences. Both models are experiencing the same issues so it stands to reason that something in the new update that was the same in both releases is affecting the boxes. I would like a Dish rep to get back in here to clarify that and look into the problem if possible. My 722k is pretty useless right now. I cannot use the guide at all.

Noticing the same thing here with 722 non K since last s/w update.DVR menu is extremely slow as well as guide.Can take as long as 3-4 secs after pressing button for receiver to respond.612 is much more snappy than the 722 now,and it was the opposite prior to the last update.

According to Software Release Notes Week of 9/12, the 722/L677 and 722k/L688 have the following changes in common:

Locks password pop-up changes, DISH On Demand updates, misc updates.

Sadly, there is little detail in these release notes. But it's better than nothing!

That said, I have a 722 w/L677 and I do not experience any different guide or My Recordings (DVR menu?) response than on L676. :confused: I have Gigabit Ethernet throughout the house, and a Cox 15/5 connection which normally clocks in at 30/4.

I don't think we are, while there are some subtle differences in the equipment a lot of the software is the same, with minor tweaks to address the differences. Both models are experiencing the same issues so it stands to reason that something in the new update that was the same in both releases is affecting the boxes. I would like a Dish rep to get back in here to clarify that and look into the problem if possible. My 722k is pretty useless right now. I cannot use the guide at all.
Except that both models are NOT experiencing the same thing. My problems reported in this thread occurred ONLY around the time the update was being applied, they had nothing to do with "very slow guide/channel changes plus bad DVR playback" and I have had no problems since with my 722 on L677...while the problems being reported with the 722k are AFTER the L688 update. So these aren't the same issues.

Just to report in... 722k w L688. Since last week I've had the really slow guide issue. Plug pull reset seems to cure it. Needs to be reset nearly every day however. Unit is well ventilated with fans... no previous issues. Also seen 2 spontaneous reboots here.. odd as that never happens. Not a big deal... but a bit of a PITA to get to my power plug.

Same issue here on my 722K for about a week now. I've noticed that it goes "slow" sometime after I leave for work at 7:30AM but goes back to normal around 7:45pm every evening. Definitely makes me think there is something in the "stream" slowing the unit down.

Glad to hear. Keep an eye on it and let me know if you noticed it again.
Zach, I had a reboot occur again this morning. Again, it was while I was skipping a timer in the daily schedule. Just before the reboot it was taking over 30 seconds to respond to skip requests, as before. 722 with L721.

I've had 2 spontaneous reboots this week. Once early in the week at 3:19 am during a recording and once last night around 7:30 with no activity happening (we were outside for a few minutes). Nothing being recorded and nothing being done inside menus. 722k with L688

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts