722k reboots after signal loss and OTA channels ?

bigpotatopat

Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Minneapolis
I've had a 722K for a couple months and recently I've had two instances when a nice big storm rolls through I loose the sat signal. That I can understand because they were some whopper storms. I don't loose the signal during a "normal" rain storm. However, I've had two occasions recently where when the 722K looses the sat signal, after a few minutes the receiver restarts itself. That I can understand happening too as if there were some watchdog in the receiver that after so many minutes without a signal it reboots itself to try to re-establish the signal connection. The one thing that is kind of annoying is that after the receiver reboots, it comes up trying to sync up with the satellite and it can't because of the storm. This is when I want to try switching to watching and OTA channel via the OTA module. But since the receiver rebooted, I cant get to the guide to switch to one of my local channels. i get some error saying something to the effect that there is no data. One time I caught it before the reboot during signal loss while it was trying to sync with the satellite, I was able to press the "menu" (setup) button and navigate my way through the menus to the program guide and watch the local channels. The receiver did not reboot while I watched the local channels that time.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this reboot on sat signal loss?

Is it normal?

and are there any tricks to stop it from rebooting so you don't loose the program guide allowing you to get to the OTA channel?

thanks
Pat Kelly

In my opinion it shouldn't reboot unless it is forced to do so by a front panel reset or just got an updated software download. A storm that causes signal loss should just re-aquire signal after the storm lets up. If you have a receiver rebooting for any other reason, it could be an indication of a problem that is begining to develop with the receiver itself.

My 722k will do that signal loss reboot if the signal loss is long enough. Doesn't happen often, but on some occasions. But otherwise it is flawless so I don't know if it is an indication of anything at all.

Today, we had more storms roll through, so as soon as the receiver brought the dialog box up where it is trying to reacquire the satellite signal, I switched it to a OTA module channel. Once the storm passed, we were able to go back to a sat channel.

I think next time a storm comes through, I'll try to time how long it is before the receiver reboots, and see if the amount of time is consistent.

you might want to try typing in the channel number for an ota channel anyway. even though the guide is hosed the receiver should still be able to tune an entered OTA channel.
i think it's something like, 01901, for channel 19.1 but I haven't tried it out to be sure.

Excellent idea! I tried it right now and it works!

I keyed in 011 and the receiver displayed "011-" so I keyed in 01 and the receiver switched to channel 11.1. I'll have to try it after a reboot after signal loss during a storm. This way I'll be able to switch to the local channel and see that tornado heading for my house ;)

01101 for OTA channel 11.1

Thanks!

... even though the guide is hosed the receiver should still be able to tune an entered OTA channel.
I think that you'll find that there is actually nothing wrong with the Guide. You just can't get out of the displayed window to get to it.

Next time it occurs, press Menu - and next 1 (Program Guide) and navigate to the OTAs and select your viewing choice.

Hi SaltiDawg,

If the receiver hasn't rebooted yet, I can use the menu button to get to the guide. But once the receiver rebooted, then I got a error about missing data once I tried to get to the guide via the menu button. If it happens again. I'm going to try keying in the OTA channel as 01101

Thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)