This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

722K Remote Control Question

PunkRockChuckBass

Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
California
Just got installed this weekend. Went with Dish due to price. Great so far.

The installer programmed my remote for my TV. That's great, but I use a receiver for my audio. The amp is hidden (blocked IR) so I can't program the AUX for the volume. I don't want the volume to adjust the volume on the TV because I have the TV speakers off. With uVerse, I was able to have the SAT function work the audio (the box lowers/raises volume output). Don't know if that is an option with Dish. If not, how do I remove the programmed TV function on the remote? I don't mind using my TV remote for on/off on the TV.. I want the volume to work from the Dish remote.

Try again...your explanation is not making much sense...IR, is IR. Dish receivers have NOTHING to do with volume. Maybe Uverse did, but not here.

Controlling the output level of the satellite receiver isn't an option. I can't recall having seen any digital audio device with that feature.

Is there some way you can expose the IR detector on your AVR?

Check the audio setup on your TV. On my Vizio, there are separate Speaker and Audio Out settings. I have the Speakers set to off, and the Audio Out set to variable.

Check the audio setup on your TV. On my Vizio, there are separate Speaker and Audio Out settings. I have the Speakers set to off, and the Audio Out set to variable.
Note that you have to be very committed to the OP's quest to do this as it will defeat any digital surround sound features.

Not sure how Uverse works, but it could be the same as Dish universal remotes. In the case of the UHF Pro 6.3 remotes (of which I have about 5), since Dish receivers do not control audio volume, the volume control buttons emit codes appropriate to the TV instead. This is how my remotes are set up, and probably how the OP's remote is set up. You don't have to press the TV button first. Now, if the OP wants to control his receiver (and not his TV) with the Dish universal remote, it might be possible to program that to the remote's TV button, and get the remote to issue the right codes to his receiver.

Of course getting the IR signal in to the receiver is another problem entirely. What I do for equipment like that is temporarily to leave the cabinet door open. It's not elegant, but it works. The "door ajar" solution also prevents equipment from overheating.

Locking volume buttons to aux is on pg 84 of the 722k manual. Hold Aux until it blinks, #, Vol+, 0, # (3 blinks), Sat. To go back to TV vol, same steps except press TV instead of Aux at the beginning. On other remotes this is usually called volume lock or volume punch through.