722K - you had me at hello

What difference would it make? If it saves a little money, why not have HDMI output on both TV1 and TV2, but only have the component RGB on TV1. Then you could put the DVR closer to the TV that only has component, and run two HDMI cables out to the other set to get HD PIP. Its only money, right? ;)

I guess component would not allow for content copy protection. HDMI would. Personally I think people should be allowed to record HD content so not providing for copy protection is a nonissue for me. I also agree if component can be provided for the 1st TV, I don't see why it couldn't be for the 2nd as well. HD content can already be copied so I'm not sure what the issue really is?
Technology is not the problem - lawyers and signed agreements with content providers is the problem.

I guess component would not allow for content copy protection. HDMI would. Personally I think people should be allowed to record HD content so not providing for copy protection is a nonissue for me. I also agree if component can be provided for the 1st TV, I don't see why it couldn't be for the 2nd as well. HD content can already be copied so I'm not sure what the issue really is?

Actually some content providers have the ability to downrez the HD programming that is not being fed by a HDCP connection via HDMI. And this applies to cable companies, DirecTV, etc. Quite a bit of discussions on this in the past here.

I think the best solution that Dish has in their back pocket for 2nd TV HD is the Slingcatcher tied into the upcoming 922. Now to get the providers to agree on the solution....

What ever you do, they will need some kind of decryption device at TV2 to have true HD there.

My best guess would be to try to use the existing Coax to do this. Using Moca or HomePlug they could just put IP traffic on the Coax and re-use sling protocols to get HD over to TV2 relying on Sling to encrypt/decrypt.

But I have to think that if you are going to put a 2nd device at TV2 (The 1st being the device at TV1), then you may as well just put a regular old 211 at TV2 and forget all this two TVs from one receiver effort.

Last edited:
But I have to think that if you are going to put a 2nd device at TV2 (The 1st being the device at TV1), then you may as well just put a regular old 211 at TV2 and forget all this two TVs from one receiver effort.

Maybe... but what if you're watching a program in the living room and want to go lay in bed and watch the same program you recorded?

Whenever I upgrade my bedroom to a HDTV, you can bet I'll be figuring out a way to run HDMI to the next room. ;) I rarely use my 722 in dual mode anyways.

Whenever I upgrade my bedroom to a HDTV, you can bet I'll be figuring out a way to run HDMI to the next room. ;) I rarely use my 722 in dual mode anyways.
I used a 4x2 HDMI switch to do that. I have my Dish 622, Expressvu 9200, and PS3 connect to the switch, and then run one of the switch outputs through the wall to the master bedroom. Now I can switch independently between any of the 3 from the Living Room or the Master Bedroom.

I used a 4x2 HDMI switch to do that. I have my Dish 622, Expressvu 9200, and PS3 connect to the switch, and then run one of the switch outputs through the wall to the master bedroom. Now I can switch independently between any of the 3 from the Living Room or the Master Bedroom.

Sounds cool! Only thing is I have a bathroom in between the living room TV and MBR TV. So I'll have to run up the wall across a small bathroom, and down to the TV. Not sure if HDMI can go that far. Figure 5 foot to wall, 8 foot up, 12 foot across, 8 foot down, and 3 foot to TV.

:wave
Sounds cool! Only thing is I have a bathroom in between the living room TV and MBR TV. So I'll have to run up the wall across a small bathroom, and down to the TV. Not sure if HDMI can go that far. Figure 5 foot to wall, 8 foot up, 12 foot across, 8 foot down, and 3 foot to TV.
I use a 35ft from monoprice with no issues on either the 622 or 722 box.

MonoPrice Premium Series HDMI 35 Ft

They also offer a professional series cable with large AWG wire, but I personally do not see the need at this distance. YMMV :wave

I too have excellent results with a 25' cheapie HDMI cable from Monoprice, going through a wall jack, and extended from wall to TV with another 6' cheapie HDMI cable. For much of that length, the cable is going through a raceway parallel to several power lines, including the house A/C compressor. I did not spring for the premium cables, and I have no (HDMI) issues.

I lucked out, the master bedroom is on the other side of the wall from the living room. So I just put in an HDMI outet plate on each side of the wall, with a 6" cable connecting them. But I do use a 12' from the bedroom wall to the bedroom tv, a 9' from the living room wall to the switch box, and a 6' from the switch box to the tv, so about 26' in total length of monoprice standard HDMI cabling.

I've had excellent results with the 50' version of that cable from Monoprice.

Excellent! The 22AWG or 24AWG? On a 722?

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit... I won't be upgrading to the 722k. I don't see the need for a second OTA recording in my household. Three programs is about all I need in the evening (Monday and Thursday nights). If I ever need a fourth I also have three OTA/QAM tuners on my HTPC for recording too.

Hell, just add a second HDMI output for TV2 (or even component). I'll run the cable to the other room (or through the wall like I'm doing now). TV2 currently has composite outputs, giving it component or HDMI shouldn't be any different.

As soon as they did that, every customer would DEMAND that Dish hooked up their TV2 so they could see HD. In many cases, it simply couldn't be done, and in many others, it would be very, very expensive.

It's far easier just to install a second receiver.

10 days old but I just wanted to give my opinion. I think that they should just use the existing 211's and turn them in to players and just link the 612's, 622, and 722's via ethernet network. That seems to be the most cost effective and wouldn't cause a loss of quality nor would it spill any copyrighted data, and if you feel that it will use too much bandwidth then just seperate the network from your existing LAN. This is also something that could be easily installed by techs, no worse than installing a phone cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)