77 satellite signal strengths ??

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
Can you guys with Eastern arc setup (1000.4 dish)
please list your signal strengths off the 77 satellite.
I'm trying to see if they are supposed to be this low.

Mine are as follows

• TP 1- 37
  • TP 4- 45
  • TP 5- 36
  • TP 8- 45
  • TP 9- 36
  • TP 12- 43
  • TP 13- 35
  • TP 16- 36
  • TP 17- 35
  • TP 20- 43
  • TP 21- 36
  • TP 24- 44
  • TP 25- 34
  • TP 28- 41
  • TP 29- 37
  • TP 32- 30
The 72.7 and 61.5 all have strengths in the low 50's to mid 60's, which is why I'm asking about the 77.

I'm in northeastern MA and that's what I'm seeing on 77 as well.

.5 is a 500+/1000+ dish with a .4 lnb arm assembly attached. The plus dish is a little bit larger than the EA dish, providing a slight increase in SS. I have the documentation on the how to's if you want it.

Here it is Hemi. I bought an EA dish & tried it both ways, but ended up using the 1000.5 set-up, thinking that a few extra points on the SS meter would be better.

Make sure that you use the skew setting for the 1000.4.

ea1.jpg ea2.jpg

I really has to work to get my dish peaked for the best signal for all three sats using the azmuith cam to peak it just right, but it was worth it. In southeast texas -90 miles from Houston,I get the following strengths:

01) 52
04) 52
05) 51
08) 52
09) 51
12) 53
13) 53
16) 50
17) 53
20) 56
21) 55
24) 58
25) 53
28) 58
29) 57
32) 52

Last edited:
Looks Like Northeastern USA is kind of weak on the 77 I guess?

It is really a problem with the azimuth cam they use to tweak the dish for all three sats. When you start with the eastern arc dish 1000.4 , you start with skew and elevation then there is the azimuth cam that you have to adjust just right to get the best signal on all 3 sats. Not to mention the elevation rod to really get the highest signal available.

It was much harder before the new sat was launched for 72.7 and I couldn't really get good strengths on 77 without losing on 72.7 . Now I am getting between 60 - 70 on the 72.7 sats , and anywhere from 45 - 70 on 61.5 sat. The strengths on the 61.5 sat were very similar to what I had with a side sat dish 500 and a dish pro lnb pointed at just 61.5. So I tweaked the azimuth cam when the 72.7 was launched and in use , and I got the signal to come in really good on 77 , between 50 -58 . All that is needed for good signals is 50 or above, now that the meter scale has been reduced , so I was all set.

The eastern arc dish in my opinion is much harder to peak and get all 3 sats with optimum strength without really working at it. I think that is why the strengths are all very different on the 77 sat. The dish 1000.2 sat dish is much easier to peak . Just set skew, then elevation and peak the lnb on 119 and you get great strengths on all 3 sats. Not all the extra steps with an azimuth cam or elevation rod.

the dish needs to have support arms installed also. though it will fit on a standard mast with the greater weight and length of the arm the dish will put more stress on the mast. Since you have discovered how difficult the dish is to peak on all 3 Sat's you will realize that if the dish moves you will lose signal. Which is why you must install the support arms.

the dish needs to have support arms installed also. though it will fit on a standard mast with the greater weight and length of the arm the dish will put more stress on the mast. Since you have discovered how difficult the dish is to peak on all 3 Sat's you will realize that if the dish moves you will lose signal. Which is why you must install the support arms.

The dish has been on the same pole since Sept. 2008 after I re- installed it after Hurricane Ike. It hasn't moved an inch. I don't have any struts either. My neighbor down the road has the same install and DISH did his on a pole as well and no struts. I think the struts are more for roof mounts to keep them stable.

Well the installer didn't use any struts.
The struts only mount to the pole anyhow, Thats in no way shape or form holds the dish from moving. That only keeps the mounting pole from moving.
The dish itself still has bolts that can loosen and move.

Well the installer didn't use any struts.
The struts only mount to the pole anyhow...
  • If the dish is mounted to a pole in the ground, forget about the struts, because the pole, if in concrete, ain't going anywhere.
...Thats in no way shape or form holds the dish from moving. That only keeps the mounting pole from moving. The dish itself still has bolts that can loosen and move.
  • The struts aren't designed to keep the dish from moving. If the dish is installed to spec, the bolts will never loosen. When, however, the supplied foot/mast is used, it is recommended to use the struts, because the mast can, and most likely will move over time, due to factors such as weight, wind, etc.

Thank you dahenny. You explain it so well. :up

The Directv installer never used struts with the directv Au9 dish when they installed it on a pole either 2 years ago. It didn't move from the pole at all , even in hurricane Ike. The pole came out of the ground , but it never moved off the pole. The directv installer used a bigger post and put it over the existing fence pole and bolted it to the existing pole. The pole was way to high and the directv dish just fell out of the ground due to wind shear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)