811/522 - fees?

Steelr7

Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
I have never subscribed to Dish so I am eligible for the new subscriber promos. I want an 811 for my main room and a 522 for the kids' 2 tv's. My local store says they can meet any deals on the 'net, but they haven't sold any 522 units. I am waiting to hear from them if I can get the 811/522 combo. First I am trying to figure out what the monthly rates would be, per example, if I choose the America's 120 package(40 bucks). I know the HD package is $10, so I am at $50. Now is there a lease charge of $5/receiver?, (2 recievers,811 and 522), which would put me at $60? I would have a phone line hooked to both units, so as to avoid the extra $5 charge for extra receiver. Also would there be a $5 charge for the DVR? I believe there is, which would put me @ $65/month. I am not sure how it could be more confusing, heh.

I believe you are not charges for both receivers. The 811 would be included in your programing package price. For the 522, its and extra 10 bucks ( 5.00 because is a second receiver and another 5.00 because is a DVR). At least thats my understanding. You local store shoulfd be able to get the 811/522 combo, its pretty common on the 'net'.
John

I just got the same package, an 811 and 522 with the Top 120 and HD pkg.
With local (MN) taxes the total comes to $63.80. With that promotion there is no monthly lease for the equipment nor any yearly commitment.

The Top 120 is $40, the 522 DVR is $5 for the VOD (video on demand?) service and $5 being as it is a second receiver, the HD pkg. is $10, plus $3.90 for local/state taxes.

They charged me $49.99 at the time of the install but credited that back on the first bill. The first bill is actually for two months as they bill one month in advance.

The jury is still out as to whether it's all worth it.

Thanks for the replys. The local dealer basically confirmed the same thing today but now something else. They are telling me I have to pay the sales tax on the retail prices of the 811 and 522 which will amount to about $60-70. I asked why and they told me that they have to purchase the equipment from Dish and thus are responsible by the state for sales tax, thus I have to pay it. I am in Indiana and its 6% sales tax. Is this the norm?

No that is not the norm. Go get yourself one of those certificate deals like I did. vmcsatellite.com.
$49.99 was my upfront for an 811 and a 522 on DHP (back in Jan.) HBO/Max and top 120. I got 4 monthly credits of $9.99 and couldn't be happier and I cdertainly did not have to pay $70 sales tax on anything.

Steelr7 said:
Thanks for the replys. The local dealer basically confirmed the same thing today but now something else. They are telling me I have to pay the sales tax on the retail prices of the 811 and 522 which will amount to about $60-70. I asked why and they told me that they have to purchase the equipment from Dish and thus are responsible by the state for sales tax, thus I have to pay it. I am in Indiana and its 6% sales tax. Is this the norm?

It is the norm if you are purchasing from a retailer in the same state. It is NOT the norm on DHA. With DHA, DISH supplies a tax exemption certificate because they are purchasing the equipment back from the retailer to lease to the customer. Your monthly taxes on the lease fees ($5 per recevier) are the only tax liability you should have.

Please have your retailer consult their CPA regarding this matter. They are paying too much to the state.

Please refer your retailer to this link on the retailer website: http://rweb.echostar.com/marketing/promos/resale/index.asp

Resale Certificates
Terms and Conditions
The Digital Dynamite and Digital Home Plan program is a promotion whereby EchoStar Satellite Corporation enables the customer to receive Dish Network programming without having to purchase or maintain the satellite receiver equipment. In exchange for providing the equipment, the customer pays EchoStar a monthly payment for a minimum period of twelve consecutive months. EchoStar Satellite Corporation is purchasing the equipment from the dealer and obtains title to the equipment after reimbursing the dealer.

For all other promotions, including Cable Conversion, One-Rate, Big Dish Exchange, which are not part of the Digital Dynamite and Digital Home Plan program, EchoStar is NOT purchasing the equipment from the dealer. The customer receives title to that equipment. EchoStar Satellite Corporation or its affiliates is not liable for any sales or use taxes on this equipment, since it did not sell the equipment to the end user or purchase it back for it's own use. The tax liability resides with either the customer or the dealer.

For your convenience in documenting sales to EchoStar for resale or rental in conjunction with the Digital Dynamite and Digital Home Plan program, you can download from this site an EchoStar Resale Certificate. You agree that this Certificate is for documenting sales for Digital Dynamite and Digital Home Plan programs only and cannot be used as a Resale Certificate for Equipment Reimbursements used in other promotions.

If you accept these terms, please click here.

Mainstreet said:
Your monthly taxes on the lease fees ($5 per recevier) are the only tax liability you should have.

So is this $5/receiver lease fee already figured into the package? I thought the $5 charge for the 2nd receiver above was a mirroring charge. Would this push me to $73 a month?

Well, my local retailer looked it up and told me that they were allowed to charge taxed on retail prices. The way they read it, only in NJ, MIN and 2 other states are they required to not charge taxes. I am not going to pay them the taxes, and I really don't want to purchase from an e'tailer atm, so I think I will do without Dish atm and stick with my D'tv. The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth and it seems a hassle.

You probably don't want to do business with a retailer that can't figure that out anyway. You are not PURCHASING anything. You are leasing all the equipment in DHA, and therefore are not liable for the tax on the equipment. DISH charges tax on the lease payments included in the monthly fee. I don't know how you could be charged sales tax when the ownership of equipment that is never transfered to you. It's not a sale, it's a lease.

Drop me an e-mail. I may be able to do something for you: mainstreet@checkyes.tv

Steelr7 said:
So is this $5/receiver lease fee already figured into the package? I thought the $5 charge for the 2nd receiver above was a mirroring charge. Would this push me to $73 a month?

$5 of the basic package price (i.e. AT60 for $29.99) is considered an equipment fee, or lease charge. Each receiver after the first also has a $5 lease charge that is added to the total monthly amount.

So basically, your monthly charges would be:

$39.99 AT120 ($34.99 + $5 equipment charge)
$00.00 Local channels (if available)
$05.00 522 Lease/equipment charge
$04.98 VOD/DVR fee for 522
$09.99 HD Package
$??.?? local and state taxes
_______
$59.96 plus tax

There are no 'mirroring' or additional outlet fees with DHA unless you do not connect the 522 to a permanent phone connection. If it isn't connected to the phone line, you pay an additional outlet fee of $4.99.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)