811 and 522 on the same television

kchem

Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Hello, I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me. I know that someone posted a similar message but I was not exactly like my situation.

I have both receivers and they are connected to the same television. The 811 is directly connected to the television through the DVI output and the 522 is connected to the television through TV1 and one of the back inputs on the 811.

This setup worked great for about 2 weeks. The 811 is working well, but I lost my hi-def channels and the 522 is acting very strangely. It cannot update guide info and the DVR doesn't work (except to watch older, recorded programs).

BTW, the original installer also did something a little unusual to save from drilling an extra hole in the side of my house. He connected the Sat 2 line from the dish to a dioplexer (I think that is what they are called), ran the line into the house and connected another dioplexer before finally connecting the line to the Sat 2 input on the 522. The other side of the dioplexer is used to connect TV 2 from the 522 to my second television.

Does anyone know of any problems with this type of setup? Customer service is sending out a tech to redo my install. Is the dioplexer causing my problems.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Hi, welcome to satguys :)

The diplexer sounds like it's being used correctly.

This sounds like an odd situation where your best bet is to wait until another tech comes out to check the situation.

As far as the install, my was done with a diplexer as well. It saved him from having to run and extra line. He swore up and down it is a kosher install. I've had problems with my system (poor picture quality), but I don't know if it has anthing to do with this install. I don't think so.

Thanks for the replies.

Could another cause of my problems be the low signal from the 110 sat? From the 119, the signal is around 75, but from the 110, it is about 45.

The signal strength is really low. It should be at 100 or better for 119 and 110 will be a little lower. But that wouldn't explain the DVR functions now longer working. If you had signal fading you'd just get the message popping up about signal lost. So there sounds like there are still more problems. Perhaps switch the diplexer to TV1?

Would the low signal do anything to the guide info for the 522? The 811 seems to be fine, but the 522 can only get 1 hour's worth of info.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Service tech came last Friday and re-did the cables coming from the dish and re-aligned it. It did the trick! Sorry for the dumb problem when all it needed was the realignment.

Yes - alignment can be the cuse of all those problems. the X-EPG is on 110.

Note that when posting signal strengths, they are pretty meaningless without a transponder number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts